1968 4 door 510

DREWSDIME

I didn't plan on buying a 4 door 510 but I ended up with a pretty clean 68 4 door 510. A few of you may have saw the ad on the dime quarterly advertising 2 510's for sale the ad said 1 was a 64 and a 72 ? A 64 510? Then I saw another post by the same person asking how much the cars are worth. So I decided to call and find out about the cars, turns out its a girl who has the cars and they were abandoned on her property. I talk to her for a little while longer and shes not sure of the years but one is a 4 door and the other a 2 door. So I arrange to go look at the cars about 90 miles away so me and my dad pull up and see the cars sitting there in the field. The 2 door looked beat but the 4 door was covered so we really could not see it. As we got closer the 2 door started looking really bad all kinds of rust. Then we pull of the cover ont the 4 door and there she was. At first I was like damn thats a 68 but it had been sitting outside for a long time. As I started looking at it the body was pretty clean it has a small amount of rust in the driver side lowere quarter panel. The dash pad is shot, there was a matchbook on the dash and looked like it caught on fire and burned all the matches inside and put a nice little brown mark on the windshield. The steering wheel was crumbled in pieces on the seat and floor, the seats are shot, but the door panels are in pretty good shape. It was missing the license plate light and the front grill was tweaked. The hood had been replaced with a pretty shitty hood. No rust in the floor boards wow! It looks like the car has never been repainted or lowered and has black and yellow plates. So after about 15 minutes I decided I had to have it. So I tried tto talk her down on the asking price offered her $800 but they said no they wanted $1000 and for only another 2 bills I wasn't missing the chance to own a 68. So I bought it. since I did not have the room to bring home a car not running I had it towed to my buddies shop and he has been slowly working on it for me so it can be my daily. Hope you guys enjoy. Here are some pics

016.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

028.jpg

005.jpg

025.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had more pictures of when I first saw the car. Hopefully I can keep the OG black and yellow plates the DMV said I need a YOM sticker which is about $70 -$90 on EBAY, trying to find a cheaper sticker since this car has needed more work than expected. It had been sitting outside for a long time. No paper work with the car so Im not sure how many owners before me. Replaced all brake hoses, new pads, new shoes, wheel cylinders, brake master cylinder, clutch cylinder and hose, new radiator hoses , radiator, clutch was shot so we slappped in an aluminum flywheel I had laying around since the tranny came out, Weber 32/36, fuel line, gas tank . I know there was more. The car was looking sad at stock height so threw some lowering springs and some new shoes. I have some 14 Epsilons i want to run but they are to wide in the front. Replaced the hood and had it painted white to kinda match the car. Im ready to drive the damn thing already.

002.jpg

006.jpg

My 2 door is really not puicture worthy at the moment. It is currently in my garage missing parts I took for the 68, waitng for to get the L20 swapped for a KA24DE that I bought a while back. My buddy modified my crossmember to fit the KA and the 240 rack and pinion. I will also be running massive 4 piston Brembo calipers in the front so I have to get some new rims also. I just need to find the time and $$$ to finish. Hopefully soon :D

• 2 months later...

I have had that sway bar for a while now it was in the trunk of my 2 door when I bought it. I could never figure out how to put it on, so my friend who did some electrical work on my 4 door figured out how to make it work. He had to weld some tabs on the rear cross member, but it came out sweet! Hopefully he put it in so it actually works.