It's frickin' freezin' Mr. Bigglesworth (Happy Thanksgiving)

HRH

First of all, happy early Thanksgiving seeing at it's Thanksgiving Eve's eve tonight! :) But not for much longer. Is anyone else having a cold snap? We had a blizzard the last two days in Spokane. Have about 4-8 inches of snow depending on the area with winds and bitter cold. I measured -11 degrees outside tonight. That's without wind chill. The garage is hovering around 20-22 inside, probably because I left all the lights on all last night and today so I wouldn't have to reheat them with the torch tonight to get them to light. Thank goodness for inefficient T12s that still put out a little bit of heat.

Almost have the 510 squared away for a Thanksgiving day trip. Hooking up windshield wiper squirter and wiring since I moved it to the other fender well. Then have to find the rear cardboard for the seat, then put in the seat mainly to insulate the cabin some more. Then swap some snow tires, and after that change the oil yet again. Oh joy! Not sure how much longer I'll be able to stand the garage tonight.

It especially sucks because I have to remove my gloves to do wiring, and the propane heater used up the last of it last night, and since I didn't want to waste time going to home depot and getting a new tank, I'm just roughing it in the cold.

But I'm thankful I have a house and a garage and a 510 to call my own, that my cold seems to be almost over, and my dad had back surgery today and it went very well. Hopefully he'll be on the mend in a month or two. No videos yet for the EFI thread. Too damn cold. :D

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, 1:30 am! Windshield reservoir hooked up, working well, back seat put back in, snow tires on. With the exception of a few things like staking down wires running around the cab, we're getting pretty close. May drive it to work tomorrow, not sure. I'm going the heck to sleep.

Good to see the 510 is gonna get some road time Matt!! It got down to 14 below here but we only have like 3 inches of snow on the ground. It snowed all day today (thanksgiving) and we got another inch or so. I am gonna brave the 12 mile drive into town with the titan's on so i can park the 620 inside for the winter.

Hope you had a safe trip i know the roads are crap!

Bill

Was cold Mon riding my bike to work!!! It snowed all morning and we quit at noon. Took a wicked dump on it on the way home. Drove my Sundance since. -13 C with wind chill Tues. Warmed to -5C Wed and today was around freezing with lots of fluffy wet snow and finally rain to-night. Supposed to be above freezing through the weekend. I hope so, I have to go to Van this Sat.. more on that later but I will say that it's 710 related.

I drove the 510 to Thanksgiving dinner AND IT KICKED ASS!! Much better now that the rear crossmember is solid mounted. Raised the rear .25" cutting out some truck mudflaps and putting them inbetween the spring and perch on the rear while I solid mounted everything. Put a 60 pound sandbad in the truck well. Fuel injection doesn't like super cold for warm up, but still refuses to die. Once warm, oh baby it's sweet. I used a quarter tank of gas going from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene and back, which with the carbs used to be a half tank. Heater still sucks, may look into retrofitting a different heater box, but wore my carhart overalls and big coat, so no problem there.

Did a whole bunch of plowing with the four wheeler, it was snowing pretty good in the mountains at mom and dads. Right before I left I took my uncle Steve on a ride up the mountain and halfway down the other side which is basically just switchbacks. :D Good ride. Steve actually races a 500+hp foxbody Mustang at Thunderhill, and has a Z06 too. He's also an instructor for SCCA on track days. And I didn't realize how scared he was until I got back. Go figure, being from California, he hasn't seen that much snow and throttle steering through the switch backs some inches from the ditch/tree/cliff got him a little nervous. ;)

Sadly, I forgot the damn camera, so no video footage. And I hit the 510 door with the four wheeler plow, that kind of sucked. Went to hit neutral hit the foot peg the wrong way. Didn't do much, just made an inch scratch, so I'll need to get the ol' Kubota orange rattlecan out on Sunday and fix her!

All in all, a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks Mike; actually the heater core is fine, it's the valve that's gone to shit. I can get better heat if I push it in and out with a stick. Takes quite a bit of force. But today, at NAPA!, I got an inline heater valve with an attachment for a heater cable like the 510 has, we're going to retrofit that little guy and hopefully make it much better. Can't find a heater core anymore, don't think they make them for 620s either. Haven't investigated dimensions to see if there's another that will work from a newer car.

By the way, if I get one more customer in here who doesn't have the mechanical ability to put wiper blades on or take them off, I'm just going to scream. Probably loud enough that everyone on ratsun.net will hear me. :)

If that is in response to my wiper blade comments, you must not have ever worked in an auto parts store, huh Mike? :D Or maybe since Canada is so cold and rainy, everyone there has a natural ability to tackle even the toughest wiper blades! Sadly, the US is overweight, and can't figure out how to detach or reattach wiper blades. Blame the Wal-mart culture.