*** Speedy *** R1 carb'd Craziness

L18 isn't a 510 motor, could be from a 620, 610, 710 possibly. They were only made for use in '73-'74.

U67 head is from a '75-'77 L20B car or truck.

Tranny appears to be the stock F4W63 4 speed. The late '72 and '73 620 had them also but with the same lower gears as the 510 wagon. 610 and 710 had them but were long tail.

Paint 562 is called Turquoise Blue / Light Blue

These are the 'good flattop SUs' that were never offered here but often came on imported JDM L18 motors. Mine still need to be 'de smogged' so are likely original never used. (note the right carb has a screw adjustment thing behind it) Yours either didn't come with this or has been removed. The import L18s didn't have the U67 heads on them.

SU carbs are like mine:

710carbs001Large.jpg

Picture057.jpg

One thing about your set up. See that S shaped hose at the middle bottom of picture with the gear clamp on the end? It should be connected to the intake where the other hose from the valve cover is now. As it is now the PCV is pulling all the fumes in reverse up past the valve train. Should be the other way with fresh air in the valve cover displacing moist fumes out the block vent and into the manifold to be burned.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the local pull-a-part today in search of a LSD subi rear diff. No luck there but did find a few hidden gems.

Got a set of nice looking bucket seats out of a saturn.

Also was walking by this Infinity J30 (mid 90's) and noticed the gas tank was in the trunk, the same spot a 510 has it. And the filler neck was even on the same side. So we pulled her out. Its huge and has some weird spaghetti looking baffles in it. It's a nice, all aluminum piece with rubber coated straps. Looks real nice! I think it will make a great fuel cell, and for $8.50 you can't beat the price.

Pics soon.

BTW can a MOD move this thread to the projects section? I want to make this my build thread. THANKS !!

Anyone ever seen one of these before? Found it in my new 510. Thought it maybe was for the original owner???  Kinda cool.<br><br>Picture041.jpg

OMG!

I saw that and realized I still have one!

J C Whitney sold those in the 70's. any make of car and your choice of-

restored by

built by

owned by

Well you get the idea. I'll have to put mine on the 620 whenever I get it doen.

Nice dime btw :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I GOT MY CAR HOME YAAHOOOO !

Haven't done a whole lot yet, but did shine up a part of the trunk with that original light blue. It looks like a robin egg blue and I LOVE IT.

I think I'll paint it the stock color. Also shined up the front bumper, took off all the datsun emblems, they need new backers and didnt want them to fall off once i get it running. They are also painted black(not very well.) Thanks to the guy that preserved them for me under a thick coat of black paint. :D

Speaking of getting it running, I need to lean about SU carbs. Anyone have a good link with pictures that explains what to look for and how to go through them?

It's been sitting for 10 years, so first I'm going to get that trans replaced. Then go through the entire fuel system, blow the fuel lines clear and change all fluids. Change out a few coolant and fuel lines and let'er rip!! Anything else I should check before I try to start it???

Got some work done.

Got the siezed 4 speed out this weekend. It was a little tricky dong it myself and had a few hickups but all ended well. Found out why the trans was siezed, someone thought water would make a good gear oil replacement!! Yikes. Only water came out of the drain. This also explains why my driveshaft was stuck so bad. We had to heat it with a torch and beat on it whith a crowbar and BFH to get it seperated from the trans. Yikes.

Also, found out I have a centerforce clutch installed, huh. Any good??

The throwout bearing seems good, smooth and no play or slop. Shall I re-use it? I don't really see why not?????

Heres one of the issues I had. When sliding the trans rearward, this happened...... Made it impossible to get out. So I unbolted the shifter linkage and it slipped out. Wha-la.

Picture094.jpg

Heres the brown water that came out of the trans

Picture097.jpg

The rusted splines.

Picture100.jpg

Dual jackage.

Picture095.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new......eventually. :D

Picture096.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

BIG NEWS ! !

She's ALIVE ! !

After coming home for pull-a-part yesterday, my buddy and I did some tinktering with the dizzy(wires were all switched around) and FIRED OFF MY CAR ! ! ! !

WHOO HOOOOO ! ! :D :o :D

Was short lived, and open header but it was AMAZING! Hearing my frist L-series fire up was something special. Time for some carb tuning and I also get to build an exhaust. Building an exhaust is something I've always wanted to do so I'm really looking forward to that.

Now I need a slave cyl. It has sprung a leak and drained all the fluid. Not sure why... Old age I guess. And also need a fuel pump. It's not pumping ANY fuel at all.

Back to the pull-a-part story, we went to get some struts/brakes off a 280zx. $75 bucks and they were mine. Pull-a-part rulz. :cool:Thanks again to the Regional Manager for all your help! ! !

Question about distributors, what hold them for turning on an L motor, Mine doesn't seem to have a clamp or anything to keep it from rotating. Also, do I just run the vacuum advance to the intake? Thanks! ;)

• Like 1

The distributor pedistal is held in place you two bolts. That just holds the distributor to the front cover. There are two other bolts that each allow you to adjust your timing. These two bolts, independantly, are what keeps your distributor from rotating.

As for the advance hookup; it needs to be plumbed into the carb. There is a vacume port that provides vacume as soon as your throttle plate is opened. If you put it directly to your intake you will have vacume advance all the time.

Glad to hear it is running. Keep up the good work.

Check to make sure that your fuel lines or filter arent clogged before you go replacing your fuel pump. Also make sure that youve got gas in it, Ive fixed quite a few things that werent broken just because there wasnt as much fuel in the car as I thought :rolleyes: Youve got the old atsugi/spaceship style and they rarely go bad and look cooler and are hard to find and expensive new.

I grab them from the wrecking yard when I see them and I havent gotten a bad one yet... Ive got 3 or 4 of the canister type that are bad sitting in my "Datsun shit that I should really throw away" pile.