Help me decide..to sell or keep [510 wagon]

Hello all :D For the last few months ive been thinking about selling my 72 510 wagon & im tossing out a feeler to see what you guys think what it's worth & help me decide if she stays or goes. I really like the car & its fun to drive & gets looks every time i take her out for a cruise. There are a few benefits to it going such as: more room in my driveway & $$ saved on insurance. A few bummers are : ill probably never be able to afford another wagon in the future & Ill miss the car.

Ive had the car for a few years & it was bone stock when i got it. Since then ive.......

lowered 4 inches, 280 ZX strut / brake swap w/ new inserts,14 x 6 Revolution rims w/ NEW tires,VW radiator swap, new carpet, bucket seat swap, new magnaflow muffler w/ stinger pipe & added homemade roof rack.

All lights & electrical work fine & starts right up & runs smooth. She has a L-16 w/ a 3 speed auto on the floor [Jatco]

The car does have a few small issues but nothing major that prevents it from being driven. Im really not sure what the car is worth & or how much i should ask if i decide to sell. Heres a few recent pics. & TY for any & all input / ideas.

19rpmg.jpg

mtuji9.jpg

308drid.jpg

aemasp.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Viking Insurance.

I just have Liability and drive many cars as I want, So If I hit soembody I get nothing.

360$ 6months I have 3 datsuns and a Jeep Cherokee

keep it

youll get 3-4 k for sure but it dont go far and youll want the car back.

I think of seeling my yellow one as I never drive it ans not practicle. A beat wagon/sedan would be better for me looking back at it now.

ill probably never be able to afford another wagon in the future & Ill miss the car.

This says it all right here. Unless finances force you to let it go, I say keep it, as long as you can!

Besides, membership to the green wagon owner's club gets transferred to the new owner with the sale ;) You'll surely miss that!

Have you looked into Hagertys for insurance? I got a quote from them, set the value of my wagon at $9K (yeah yeah I know, it's high but that's the value to me!) and the quote was half of what I pay now. Something I need to look into a bit more.

• Like 1

Mark, I'll trade you a sweet set of 14" Enkei Apache wheels for it! :P

No seriously I think a while back you could have gotten around $3K and up fairly easily but now things are not selling too well nor too fast. If you're in need of cash that might affect the final price if you're in a pinch to sell it but if you're not I wouldn't sell it for less than that really especially when you look around and see lesser goons asking prices in the mid to high $2K range (in CA at least).

You've brought it a long way since you first took delivery of it and besides the small dings on the lower rear, the goon is fairly straight and definately in good condition. You've poured your hard earned time and money in it as well with the upgrades(suspension, seats, interior, and most recently cooling). I know you're a green and purple fanatic but if you want top dollar for it I think returning it to a more stock look might fetch that. I know in the past that's what I've done when it came to selling my older cars, I took my personal touches off of it or put things on that appealed to a wider audience...either in color or flat out put the stock items back to let the perspective new owners get a blank canvas for them to mod to thier liking. Plus you can sell any of those parts for more money as well.

It's a bummer that you're even thinking about selling it. It seems like just yesterday I went over to Saul's to look at it for you, but I totally understand. If it just doesn't suit you and your family's needs, why hold onto something. I've been doing the same thing with my 350Z, I drive it once a month if that, I need to get rid of it, it's sad it just sits there collecting dust and having to charge the battery every month is getting old. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll have some lingering doubts but hey you can always buy another 510 wagon...how about my 68 goon? hahaha :P

Thanks guys for all the input. The reason for my thoughts of selling isnt because i need $$$. $2500- $3000 wont go far & when its gone ill probably be in the same boat. For me it's more of a space issue & the car sits more than i drive it just like my Hardbody. Mario your right these days cars arent selling as quick & id have to drop the price just to dump it. So uneless Obama shows up with a big ol bag o $$$ Ill probably keep it & drive it more this winter.

I don't think you should sell it. it's way too nice! cars like yours are what people like me hope our cars turn out like. I have mine insured full coverage for $3500,but that wouldn't replace it in my opinion( and mine's a little rough! ). I totally get the parking space part though. I sold my 620 because it was just going to sit,& my landlord is always complaining about all the cars sitting around here (especially broken,or unlicensed ones). we have 5 vehicles right now,and only my Goon is driveable (not reliably yet,either) when the time came for me to get rid of cars, I sold the parts/project vehicle (the 620) and my modern daily driver ( a turbo beetle,that had just broken a timing belt anyway). Good Luck,& I hope you decide to keep it!

Mark.

That wagon should go for $3-4500. But you'll have a hard time with that. I too thought about selling my wagon not too long ago. I was in need of some $$$. But now I'm gald I didn't.

I would be bummed if ya did. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Dont sell it, you should give it to me!!! I'll even pay to ship it to Alabama. It's much nicer than my goon.

I too have a space problem. I recently got married and moved to the wife's house. As soon as my old house sell's, I dont know what I'll do with my wagon. i'm not even considering selling mine! With this economy, it looks like I have plenty of time to find room. hahaha sob, sob sob....

Mark, I have mine with Hagerty for 6k and I pay $100/year. I've had space issues as well as I wanted to get my daily in the garage so I wouldn't have to scrape snow (not your problem, obviously :P ) and I still have my Hilux but its outside under a tarp. I pull it in when I want to work on it. My vote is for you to keep it and get creative with your storing or get rid of something else. It seems like your goon is high on you list.

Keep it Mark! Unless it is time to get an new canvas to work your magic on! (But sounds like more of a space issue than a 'bored' issue. I get that. I have a house with a two car garage and 2 acres. I could easily stash another car or two under tarps here, but it would cause a big riff with the lady of the house who is totally supportive of my habit so far, and I don't want to turn her against it the car hobby. If I get another, something has to leave to make room.)

• 2 weeks later...