Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's really not that difficult, just take your time and think it through. You have to have a plan! I have the most basic tools (besides the machining stuff, that's at my day job) and have a $50 weekly budget to keep me moving along. Of course once I start laying down mud it will get really expensive blink.gif

I've never done a single piece of body work before this project. I know for a fact if someone else can do it then I sure the hell can. It might not be "as nice" but you gotta learn some how wink.gif

LOTS OF PICS!!

Got started on the driver wheel tub.

Started with the quarter hung. Measured out from the wheel well flange to the quarter. This is so I have a rough line to cut away from.

IMG_20111005_172901.jpg

IMG_20111005_172909.jpg

IMG_20111005_172822.jpg

IMG_20111005_172804.jpg

Now I laid out a line a couple inches back from the quarter panel.

IMG_20111005_175946.jpg

IMG_20111005_175936.jpg

Now cut.

IMG_20111005_180752.jpg

IMG_20111005_180743.jpg

Now back on with the quarter panel.

I used 1/8" welding wire and made a skeleton.....

IMG_20111005_184330.jpg

IMG_20111005_184320.jpg

IMG_20111005_184349.jpg

IMG_20111005_184409.jpg

IMG_20111005_184425.jpg

Quarter panel back off....

IMG_20111005_185227.jpg

IMG_20111005_185232.jpg

IMG_20111005_185249.jpg

IMG_20111005_185257.jpg

Then I layed the cut off section of the fender back on. Tacked it in place and then removed the whole thing.

Now I have this.

IMG_20111005_190535.jpg

I just have to cut where the welding rod shows me, mount the fender/wheel tub back on. Trace and make a flange face then place the quarter back on and weld the flange to the wheel tub. Eventually attach it to the quarter.....

Sweet, that is a pretty cool move right there! I was staring at my qp's yesterday... They are poorly fiberglassed, and the body line from the bumper down is gone. Been looking at the replacement qp patches on Australia ebay, and dreaming. But I fear if I went down that road I would uncover much worse things under the outter layer.

Anyway, this thread inspires ans terrifies me at the same time!

I've never done a single piece of body work before this project. I know for a fact if someone else can do it then I sure the hell can. It might not be "as nice" but you gotta learn some how wink.gif

I completely agree with this attitude! I got my attitude many years ago, after paying professional mechanics for brake work and it came out "F'd" up! I decided at that point that I could "F" it up for free!!

Sweet, that is a pretty cool move right there! I was staring at my qp's yesterday... They are poorly fiberglassed, and the body line from the bumper down is gone. Been looking at the replacement qp patches on Australia ebay, and dreaming. But I fear if I went down that road I would uncover much worse things under the outter layer.

Anyway, this thread inspires ans terrifies me at the same time!

Thank you sir. It's definitely scary opening one of these old cars up......

I completely agree with this attitude! I got my attitude many years ago, after paying professional mechanics for brake work and it came out "F'd" up! I decided at that point that I could "F" it up for free!!

:)

Should I just weld the tubs directly to the quarters? maybe 2" spacing and then seams seal them??

I'm thinking it might be a whole lot easier and just as good. If I weld the "wheel" side of the tubs to the quarter it would be easy to use a hammer to correct the panel warpage as I welded.

Any thoughts?

Doing some research I keep finding people saying to either bond them or just use seam sealer.

''NEVER'' weld the tub to the quarter panel... nono.gif You will see it through the paint.. nono.gif

It appears leaving a 1/16" gap and filling with sealer is the way to go...

I would think that as the body flexed over time, any welds to the outer sheet metal would cause dimpling or damage...or simply tear away.....all of which would ruin any body work. I like the seam sealer idea. How was the original attached?

Originally the quarter mated to the wheel well with a parallel shear not perpendicular.

I'm thinking a 1/2" flange and panel bonding glue is the best route. I'm also considering bonding the flares on to prevent warping. This would require a lot of skill to shape the flares to the quarter. We'll see how close the flares fit up before I decide. I'll grab another Golf Fender next weekend as I have plenty of work to do before then.... biggrin.gif

I don't want it lower, nor do I want to modify the sheetmetal. I just want it to look the best it can. I guess I should just go get a fender to cut up tomorrow and do a mock up. I'll also make some washers to use as spacers so I can get the wheel out flush as possible. Stay tuned!

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)