Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I know huh? tongue.gif

I've been itching/DYING to work on it..... I got back last Monday from a looooong Florida Vacation and have been busy with a new machine at work. This weekend is shot, next week is busy as hell and next weekend I might be back on the road....

Progress is gonna be slow for a little while so I can sort out some life stuff wink.gif

Wandered out into the shop this morning and spent some time massaging the quarter panel....

I have to figure out how I'm going to shrink the quarter in front of the flare. It's bowed out a bit. I might use a shrinking wheel, gotta research it more.

Here's what I'm talking about:

2011-11-24103516.jpg

I spent some time this evening hammering out the quarter panel. I got it pretty damn close and got more "bulge" in the front part of the flare. All this combined got rid of the hump between the door and flare. I'll still do more strecthing at the flare/weld to flatten the panel even more.

All this work got me more room for the spacers also. I'm at 0.750" now. Here's a round of pics since I'm a picture whore...... :rolleyes:

DSCF9363.jpg

DSCF9364.jpg

DSCF9362.jpg

DSCF9365.jpg

DSCF9366.jpg

DSCF9367.jpg

I had to do some onsite training today (earning project money.....) so I had limited time for the resto. I did manage to get a little done....

The driver quarter is close so I'm moving on to the passenger quarter and trunk pan.

I started by removing the rear rocker section. Mine had some rust and it's easier to fit the rocker to the wheel well after the wheel well is attached. The new quarter has a good rear rocker I'll use.

2011-11-26181301.jpg

2011-11-26181252.jpg

Removed

2011-11-26183825.jpg

Started trimming and fitting the wheel well. Tomorrow I'll make more progress

2011-11-26183832.jpg

Back at it! I know this isn't very exciting stuff but it hs to be done!

On to the passenger side.

Using the template from the driver side:

2011-11-27100847.jpg

2011-11-27100900.jpg

2011-11-27100906.jpg

Cut:

2011-11-27104410.jpg

2011-11-27104417.jpg

After learning on the driver side I decided to notch this side. we'll see which is the easier method:

2011-11-27104423.jpg

2011-11-27104431.jpg

No I gotta finish stripping and prepping the new quarter...........

2011-11-27104404.jpg

This is with the a-arm hitting the body. I'm going to clearance the body to get more travel and find a nice adjustable bump stop. I'll research that tonight.

2011-11-27100919.jpg

• Like 1

Been ordering tools and planning....

Tomorrow I'm heading to Tacoma to get some more Rabbit fenders. I'm 90% sure I'm going to get another set of 510 fenders and put the rabbit flares on the front. I have one that I can use for mock up or if it turns out good maybe keep it, I haven't stripped it yet so I'm unsure what's under the paint.....

Gotta get busy!

I've also been talking with some 240sx coil-over manufacturers about getting custom valved and sprung S13 coil-overs for my 510. So far so good..... I'm trying to find out exactly what info I need to supply the engineers to get the best setup. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get all the details...

It leaning towards the Fortune Auto "Series 500" Coil overs. They're very willing to modify them to meet my specific needs (Weight, Intended usage, Tire size and compound) and have been the most communicative without me needing to prod them..... . It will be a little while till I can afford them but I have it lined up and ready to go biggrin.gif

fortune1.jpg

I would like to get the "Swift Spring Upgrade". Gotta see what the cost is....

swift2.jpg

thats cool man. the fronts have to be a steel collar to be able to weld on to a strut. 7" springs should be about right. on the rear that bottom collar assembly has to be cut in half so you can get it low enough with 8" springs and a stud type upper mount. you might have figured all this out by now but just letting you know. all of this is based of modifying s13 megan tracks. but they might be standardized so it might apply. would be sweet if they can make a kit. to add more options to the 510 community

Thanks for the info Phil!

The fronts have forged steel lowers so cutting and welding them won't be a problem. For the rear I'm gonna blast out the stock upper mounts. Then take the springs off and set my droop and double check compression stroke/dial in bump spacers then weld on 240sx patterned top plates.

biggrin.gif

Tomorrow morning I'll be in the shop prepping the passenger quarter. Hopefully it will be fit and hung on the car tomorrow. Then I can start on the flare....

Had a little time at the shop today. Needed to do some dirty work that I've been putting off......

Her'es the result of too much heat and a big breaker bar. This was done awhile back.

IMG_20111210_165648.jpg

This time I decided to mill the nut and break it in half with a chisel and hammer. Much better results and no heat.

IMG_20111210_155728.jpg

IMG_20111210_160458.jpg

IMG_20111210_160613.jpg

IMG_20111210_160641.jpg

This one I milled the thread a little bit, no biggie as it won't compromise anything...

IMG_20111210_160654.jpg

The end results....

IMG_20111210_165632.jpg

I have another set of lugs for the passenger side. I plan on making the 280zx Caliper adapter plates tomorrow. I'm gonna make one out of UHMW and test fit, then make the real ones out of 6061-T6 Aluminum. After that I have to turn the other axle and install studs..... This will allow me to mount the passenger wheel and start fitting the flare tongue.gif

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)