Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks great, definitely let us know tomorrow about the price of 4 of these!

It's going to be Monday before I get a cost. The shop is pretty busy right now.

Would these be already assembled and and ready to go in or would we have to weld in the inner sleeves that hold the actual spherical bearing in place?

I could tig weld the ends. Let me get mine installed and see how it goes. If I can weld the tubes onto the arms without the bearings installed and the install the bearings/press in the end tubes it would be better overall. If your already welding the tubes to the arms then welding the ends wouldn't be much more work. I'll know this weekend.

Josh-

• Like 1

It's going to be Monday before I get a cost. The shop is pretty busy right now.

I could tig weld the ends. Let me get mine installed and see how it goes. If I can weld the tubes onto the arms without the bearings installed and the install the bearings/press in the end tubes it would be better overall. If your already welding the tubes to the arms then welding the ends wouldn't be much more work. I'll know this weekend.

Josh-

Definitely waiting for some final photos. and after I thought about it, I think it's better if they come un-assembled since the bearings could get damaged if we welded the bushings on while the bearing was in there.

Tomorrow I'll try welding up the spare arm and see if I can still get the bearing in there...

Holy suspension chaos blink.gif

Icehouse brought me a present....

IMG_20120107_162430.jpg

Got the "Byron" brackets all ready to go on. Got one side tacked. Tomorrow I'll finish it and the arms. I couldn't imagine how much bushing would bind seeing the angle my spherical are at.....

IMG_20120107_165917.jpg

IMG_20120107_171410.jpg

IMG_20120107_171417.jpg

A tip for final welding the bearing tubes. Make an aluminum slug that fits into the sleeve in place of the spherical. This will help prevent the sleeve from distorting to much during welding. It will also help by acting as a bit of a heat sink.

I have a question about the zerk fittings also. I don't see how they will lubricate the actual spherical bearing. To me it looks like it will just grease the outside of the bearing, and leave the ball totally dry. I don't see this being very helpful in term of bearing life.

Project is looking great though. I always enjoy seeing updates.

A tip for final welding the bearing tubes. Make an aluminum slug that fits into the sleeve in place of the spherical. This will help prevent the sleeve from distorting to much during welding. It will also help by acting as a bit of a heat sink.

I have a question about the zerk fittings also. I don't see how they will lubricate the actual spherical bearing. To me it looks like it will just grease the outside of the bearing, and leave the ball totally dry. I don't see this being very helpful in term of bearing life.

Project is looking great though. I always enjoy seeing updates.

There is a hole on the outside of the bearing that will let the grease get injected into the bearing itself.

Thanks for the tip Duke. I actually welded the hell out of my spare arm/bushing to see if it distorted. The bearing slipped right in! I actually welded the hole thing at once to get maximum heat.... No issues beside distortion on the spacer side due to the wall thickness, this will be changed on the next Revision.

Here's a crappy pic of the bearing hole. fortyPSI is correct. There's a groove around the bearing race and two holes through to the bearing.

IMG_20120108_101640.jpg

Welder ran out of gas today so I started mocking up the S13 front suspension. I'm still on the fence..... I had to shorten the lower control arm 4" blink.gif

It looks doable but I'm not sure the geometry will be right. I might not be able to get the bump steer out, we'll see. I was feeling a little overwhelmed today with so many different areas "in process".

IMG_20120108_145505.jpg

IMG_20120108_145522.jpg

IMG_20120108_145454.jpg

Are you going to be able to get to the grease zerks after you have everything welded and bolted in? Still a killer car ;)

Fuzz

I am wondering the same thing. How are you going to get a grease gun on those things without disassembling the suspension?

Brock

Welder ran out of gas today so I started mocking up the S13 front suspension. I'm still on the fence..... I had to shorten the lower control arm 4" blink.gif

It looks doable but I'm not sure the geometry will be right. I might not be able to get the bump steer out, we'll see. I was feeling a little overwhelmed today with so many different areas "in process".

IMG_20120108_145505.jpg

IMG_20120108_145522.jpg

IMG_20120108_145454.jpg

I'm doing the same S13 mods with a 200sx cross member. I know that the exterior of the 240sx is 6'' wider than a 510. Doing wide body or flares will help. What lower arms are you useing? I was told 200sx arms are shorter

I cut the s13 arm down. I think I cut it a little too much... I need to find another set of stock arms to play with.

Why bother looking for a set... just make your own out of 1" DOM tubing ;)

Any price info on the bearing assembly or are you redesigning it?

I'm going to redesign them tomorrow but it won't affect the cost unless I change the outer spacers to Stainless. I don't like the idea of painting them and causing issues where they become too tight in the mounts.

The boss was out today so no quote..... I'll make sure he gets me one tomorrow.

Soooo I'm looking at $250 +Shipping for a set of 4. This will include Teflon Bearings or Metal/Metal with grease fittings, same price. The cost savings on the bearings will be offset with the additional labor for drilling/tapping the grease fittings. I will "make to order" the Metal/Metal ones (just drill and tap).

I plan on making one set this weekend on the non production machine, then next week I'll pick up the material. Once I get the first set done (This weekend) I'll post a thread in the FS section and link to a website with a paypal shopping cart. ETA is about 30Days out. Our machines are currently booked so I'll have to squeeze them in to the schedule. Feel free to PM me and get on the list, I'll make 12 sets to start.

Feel free to comment about anything in this thread, but please don't post "I want a set". just PM me so I can keep this just about the build.

Thanks,

Josh-

• Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)