Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)

Josh K.

With a 1/4" off the side plates, how much clearance is there between the U bracket and the X-member at the pivot bolt?

I actually left the brackets as they were. I moved the Pivot tubes on the inside leg of the LCA back 0.250".

Also, in your application with the new pivot tubes welded to the LCA, how much space do you have between this point and the U bracket itself? Can we gain some more toe adjustment here if I were to make you a new set? Effectively moving the slot closer to the X member.

I'll look and measure today.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice. It will be interesting to see how much faster this one goes on with the experience garnered in the first.

This side was soooo much easier. Mainly because the factory wheel arch was still there, I didn't have to fill a huge gap with the flare and the panel was nice and straight....

Only thing I wish I did different is rolled the inner lip before cutting of the flare. My only concern with this is it would distort the shape. Maybe it's better after it's all welded on. I'll never know....

Just gotta finish welding and grinding:

IMG_20120205_163153.jpg

Use a section of the flare to patch a rust spot:

IMG_20120205_163210.jpg

IMG_20120205_163248.jpg

IMG_20120205_163243.jpg

IMG_20120205_163237.jpg

IMG_20120205_163222.jpg

IMG_20120205_163227.jpg

I also ordered new brake lines, flare tool, wheel bearings/seal/nut. I plan to continue working the quarter and at the same time finish the control arms, plumb and finish the brake lines along with the e-brake system. Then I can button up the back end.

Sooooo..... I spent some time on the phone today with Terry from Fortune-Auto. After going back in forth over measurements of the S13 Struts I suggested that instead of me building a car around their struts, lets build a strut around my car.....

Here's the plan.

Front:

Custom length struts with proper upper hats and steel lower sleeves. This will allow you to cut the 280zx strut tubes off and weld these on. (Normally Fortune Auto lower tubes are aluminium). Custom valved and sprung for your car.

Rear:

Custom Length struts with proper lower mount diameter/width to bolt to the stock mount along with the proper upper shocks mount (Sandwiched rubber). Custom valved and sprung.

He said they would love the opportunity. They would then make these available to the general public as a 510 Specific Application!

This means I have to take pictures, mock up, measure, make cad models and submit them. I'm going to work on it this week and hopefully have everything to him by next Monday.

Hi Josh!

Thank you for sharing that information. Any more update pictures please? Have you decided on a color scheme yet?

Thanks for your time!

Ernie

Hey Ernie,

Haven't decided on a color.... Atleast I have lots of time to think about it wink.gif

This build, pretty much, just blows my mind! Way too awesome!!!! :hyper:

Thanks you sir!

So I did a bunch of research on how people are installing coil overs. I found a lot of guys are welding the thread sleeve to the stock strut tube, some are even gusseting them. I don't really feel comfortable with relying on Cast Steel-Tubing to hold my wheel on... I know it's being done but if a company wants to limit the liability on a product it's needs to be a little more robust.

Here's what I came up with so far. Gotta run it by Fortune-Auto to see if it's cost effective.

Edit: Pics gone thanks to Photofucket.

Hi Josh!

I would like to apologize for not having read the thread in "detail" when I inquired about the fender flares. You mentioned the type of flares used a few times! Again pardon the redundancy of my inquiry.

Your craftsmanship is excellent and really excites me to see your work. I've been in automotive restoration for over 30+ years doing paintwork/bodywork and fabrication on vintage race car/muscle cars, high end collectables but Datsuns have always been my favorite. My wife says I should consider building an updated version of my 610 I built back in 1976 but she says this time "make it radical"!

Seeing your work/mods really inspires me to do something with either another 610 (if you can find a 2 door coupe - or I might build another 610 wagon). She did say that i never finished my Zcar considering I had 7 of them not including my race car and that I should consider finishing one and keeping it this time - hahaha!

Thanks for the inspiration Josh! More pictures please?!?!?!?!

Ernie

Back at it! I know this isn't very exciting stuff but it hs to be done!

On to the passenger side.

Using the template from the driver side:

2011-11-27100847.jpg

2011-11-27100900.jpg

2011-11-27100906.jpg

GREAT JOB. I admire your dedication and hard work you are doing on your car. Its coming out awesome. Im wanting to do the same thing to my four door and your thread has tons of information. Thanks for taking the time and posting pictures and progress reports.Those fender wells were a good fit, where did you buy them and what size?

Thanks guys!

Here's the fender/s I used http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fenders/Redline/F1075X32-1R.html

No real updates. I submitted the drawings to Fortune-Auto yesterday for the coil-overs. Just waiting to get feedback from their Engineer before sending payment. It will be 8 weeks for delivery so I'll be working on getting the panels finished and motor back in and motor tranny mounts remade....

Those fender wells were a good fit, where did you buy them and what size?

Merlin has a build thread where he put these same fender wells on his 4-door (I stole the idea from him). It might help show how it would be done on your car.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27400-snowballs-chance-510-rotisserie-resto-project/page__p__403560__hl__%2Btrailer+%2Bfender__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=403560

No problem!

Not much to update. Still waiting to get the green light from Auto-Fortune. Assembled the rear brakes in hopes of getting the e-brake system all installed this weekend. After 15min looking at the cables I determined there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to use them. I plan on using a Universal E-Brake Cable kit from Lokar. This can be done any time without fabrication so I decided to just clean the shop this weekend.

I'm moving in 3 months so the main goal is to get the motor/tranny back in, make new mounts for both. Then at the same time get the rear body panels back together and get the car rolling/trailer-able.

Stay tuned...

Josh-

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo I excepted a job at ProCNC in Bellingham. My start date is April 9th. We signed a lease on a place in town with a small one car garage. Nice thing is it's right across the street from Bellingham Technical College. Maybe I can convince the auto body instructor to use my car as a "student project" to finish the body work and paint....

Anyways. I went to the shop yesterday and pressed out the rear wheel bearings and blasted the parts.

IMG_20120317_111349.jpg

I then welded the brake line brackets, spherical tubes and finally the caster/camber plates. I plan on welding doublers on the top and bottom of the cross member but that will have to wait. Tomorrow I'll press the bearings and axles back into the arms. Then assemble so I can roll the car back. After that I can put the motor/tyranny back in. Gotta move the car in less then two months....

IMG_20120318_153650.jpg

IMG_20120318_153651.jpg

IMG_20120318_153714.jpg

IMG_20120318_153719.jpg

Nothing major. Used my Hoist today and put the motor back in! Decided since I'm replacing the front core support that I would make it easier and hack the center section out..... Got started on the new tranny mount. Tomorrow I'll make some plates and get it welded up later this week. After that I can put the driveline back in. I'll redo the motor mounts once the car is moved as I have bigger fish to fry...

IMG_20120402_185647.jpg

Thanks Ed!

Today I'm putting together a care package for Fortune-Auto so they can finalize the new coil-over kit. It's been a lot of work getting all the details worked out but hopefully with these parts in their hands it will help. I'm hoping we can send the drawings out for manufacturing in the next two weeks :w00t:

IMG_20120404_065429.jpg

Worked on the tranny mount a little tonight. Moving the house is the priority so I don't have much time....

I wanted to use the stock 510 mount because I really like the rubber isolators.

First I ground off the old stripped out nuts that were welded to the body and then moved the tranny mount back one bolt and drilled the second one. This aligned it perfect with the KA 5 speed. The nuts will be tacked to the body when done.

IMG_20120405_203421.jpg

I then got the mount cut close enough to allow me to mock up the new filler plate:

IMG_20120405_192007.jpg

Then I drilled mounting holes for the rubber tranny mount in some 1/8" plate. Using a grinder I cut a slot 3/4 of the way through to allow me to bend a nice angle with just a hammer and the concrete floor. This will be welded once done.

IMG_20120405_193213.jpg

Then bolt it all up and scribe lines.

IMG_20120405_192114.jpg

Cut a notch.

IMG_20120405_193156.jpg

Hammered some more angle in the flat plate. Final fitment with both mounts resting without pressure.

IMG_20120405_193114.jpg

Next is to tack it up. Mockup the passenger side, trim the plate to make it look nice and then weld her up! I'll probably do some boxing on the side to strengthen it up.

• Like 1
  • Josh K. changed the title to Feng Shui (The 510 Experiment) (Pics fixed through page 7..)