Wagon for Jester?????

Jester

There's some great satisfaction in making something from a mixture of parts and not just rebuilding what's there. Truly, you can say 'I built this' and you have. I would love to 'build' s 2.3 with KA pistons and a done up head with Z-1 carbs. Need a 2.2 block.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some great satisfaction in making something from a mixture of parts and not just rebuilding what's there. Truly, you can say 'I built this' and you have. I would love to 'build' s 2.3 with KA pistons and a done up head with Z-1 carbs. Need a 2.2 block.

well Mike I can say I helped assemble the engine and head but Troy is a good teacher/mentor and watched me do stuff and helped alot but he did the short block and truly did more than I did but the learning was awesome... and on a side note I have a complete LZ 2.3 in pieces that needs a rebuild in my garage I could always be persueded ($$$) to bring it to canby

Sorry Jester for the slight thread jacking

Clayton

No problem Clayton. I asked for it. lol

After talking to Steve at Z Therapy today I think I'm going to pass on it. I know it would be better than what I have, but, it's not what I want and I don't need the added expense of screwing around with it. Not to mention the time it would take to do it right. I do appreciate everyones opinions on this. I'm just going to keep driving the little L and get the car ready for a future VG swap. So, back to searching for some NEEDED parts.

The vg is a spendy fella too and hard to get with a 5speed in the 200sx combo that actually fits. I had one set in my wagon for awhile at one time but I couldn't find a tranny for it. It costs around 1500 to do a ka swap if you can fab a few things. Only downfall is the sway bar with the frt sump pan. But your gonna have that issue with most swaps. 1500 if ya do the work yourself give or take some.

I plan on doing everything myself. I am going through a LOT of threads and pulling all the good stuff, making a list of everything I need. Figured I would start collecting now and then finding a beat up donor. I might just buy the oil pan and pickup. since it is the demise of many VG's, I'm not even going to attempt it. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

I might just buy the oil pan and pickup. since it is the demise of many VG's, I'm not even going to attempt it.

Tom Dockerys 510 had tons of oiling problems during trackdays and autocrosses done blowed it up a couple times...finally stopped pouring money into them and did a SR20det swap

So today I decided to dig in to the heating system in my wagon. It has never worked on "high". These recent cold mornings were miserable! After getting frustrated with not being able to get the dang screws out of the resistor that is inside the heater, I pulled the whole heater assembly totally out. WHAT A CRAP HOLE THAT WAS! There was stuff in there like you wouldn't believe. I noticed that the resistor coils were not only buried in crap, but had also folded onto one another. After a closer look, it was all intact. I gently cleaned all the crap out of it and straightened the coils. Put everything back together with some new pieces of hose on the inlet and outlet. Found out that my temp control valve is shot. Not leaking, but, the top of the valve that connects to the actuating arm is GONE. Cleaned and resealed the room/defrost door and put it all back in. WE HAVE THREE SPEEDS AGAIN!!!

Now what to do with the defrost cable. Worked for about 20 minutes trying to straighten out all the kinks. Found that the top portion of the cable had broken at the S bend allowing the cable to fall off. Straightened that out and put a new S bend it. Lubed it well with some PB Blaster, tweaked the lower arm on the door to work with my now slightly shorter cable. Works great.

All in all, it was worth freezing my butt off the get some decent heat in my wagon for a change. Now to find a used drivers side front door seal. I priced some through Mike @ DatsunLand Socal for $54. Didn't think that was too bad, but, I don't want to put new seals in till after the doors get some new paint. I just need something in there for now. Anyone have a crappy door they wouldn't mind pulling the seal off of for me?

I just need something in there for now. Anyone have a crappy door they wouldn't mind pulling the seal off of for me?

The original door seals are glued in around the door, and only pressed in around the window, you would need to figure out how to get this glue off without damaging the rubber.

• 1 month later...

Nothing too exciting to report right now. I did lose the alternator in the wagon the other day. In the drive way. What a good little car. lol Luckily I had some time to look into a good swap for it. Keeping in mind that I want to eventually go VG power, I elected to go with the 50 amp upgrade to the factory alt. I had to rework the stock adjuster arm to clear the larger case of the 50 amp and go with a different size belt. Other than that it just bolted right on. Then after all the screwing around with the upper arm, I found a perfect turn buckle in the garage while I was cleaning. Oh well. It sure is nice to finally have lights that stay bright.......with the heater on...........in the rain. biggrin.gif Don't have a stereo at all so I'm sure that helps.

Also, found a 510 on CL for $200 that looks like a good donor for the front clip. I want to make a mock up engine bay to get my VG stuff all worked out. I want it COMPLETELY figured out and ready to go in before I even start to put it in my wagon. I don't want my car down for months while I attempt to figure it out. If I pick this thing up, I may have some quarters and rockers to sell. I'll put them up in the for sale section if it works out for me.

Got my parts from Zhiguli510 the other day and went straight to work.

This is what I started with,

ff2e6faa.jpg

Drilled a 2 1/2" hole with a hole saw and took a little more off the inside where the idiot lights go,

2011-04-01173140_Jefferson_Oregon_US.jpg

Took a factory Nissan 720 tach and cut the tabs off,

2011-04-01173301_Jefferson_Oregon_US.jpg

So it would fit like so,

2011-04-01173341_Jefferson_Oregon_US.jpg

And come out looking like this,

2011-04-01173429_Jefferson_Oregon_US.jpg

Now I need to find the wiring for the idiot lights, come up with a way to close the tach in from the back so I can put some lights in it and mount it. Should look better than the later model one that someone hot glued in and looks like crap.

What do you guys think?

Thanks Mike.

I have a question for you guys. Other than the bolt pattern, is there a difference between the 4 and 5 bolt 200SX strut assembly? I am curious about the amount it pushes the wheel mounting surface out. I know the 280ZX struts, with there hubs will bring the wheel IN about 3/4". So I want to know what a 200SX setup does.

Cool idea jester.

I was looking at my 69 wagon dash the other day, there is a spot on the right for a tach which has a blank plate in there that has a D on it. (ive only seen one early dash with that little tachometer there) I have an early 720 tachometer that is square, and looks like it would fit in that spot. I will be pulling the dash apart to check it out.

Just an FYI, im sure you know this but... The 720 tachs, early or later, need a little resister which is in the 720 wiring under the hood. I can take a photo of it if you need. I think its a 2.2 ohm resister?? Ask Datzenmike he knows about it & the right ohms.

Well, I found the some good info for wiring a tach into my wagon , but, I can't seem to find any info on the 720 side of it. Anyone here know where the 3 wires go? I have a Yellow/Red, Black/Blue and a Black. I even looked over at 720 World and couldn't find anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the dash looking pretty good. Still need to do the dash cover.

2011-04-17155321_Jefferson_Oregon_US.jpg

Put in a set of '95 Miata seats last weekend.

2011-04-17155228_Jefferson_Oregon_US.jpg

With the speakers in the head rest.

2011-04-17155414_Jefferson_Oregon_US.jpg

I did pick up a set of 15X6 280ZX wheels this weekend. I'll post up some picks when I get them mounted.