With all this Cold Weather - Ratsun GARAGE HEATERS

It is getting cold and I want to work on my dime over the winter. I want to buy a decent heater but I am on a Ratsun budget.

My garage is insulated and has a new insulated door. It is an attached garage and is about 300 SF.

I want something safe and inexpensive (+/-$300)

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Run a duct from the forced air heat in the house to the garage.

thats what I'm going to do this winter.

But then the coldest we see here is about 30 F on a really cold night.

with no heat the garage is about 50 in the morning.

You should be aboke to get a 220V heater for $300.00 or so

look at this http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=19420322&PMT4NO=75785887

they are expensive to run...

I've got a kerosene torpedo heater...works pretty good!

heater951.jpg

I have a similar one that is used my carport. Puts out enough btu to warm it up to tang top temps but the floor is still frozen lol. About to break it out too, 30 degrees today, I got me work to do :-).

i use like yo are talking about at work you have to keep a window open or it gets stinky

That is an issue with an attached garage. I can't have anything too stinky. The bitching I would hear would be worse then the cold garage.

I have one similar to this now

Portable+Propane+Convection+Heater.jpg

and it needs to be vented to keep it safe. That means cracking the overhead garage door a bit which lets in all the cold. Kind of defeats the purpose.

My house has natural gas I can tap into so maybe a heater that can burn that.

That is an issue with an attached garage. I can't have anything too stinky. The bitching I would hear would be worse then the cold garage.

I have one similar to this now

and it needs to be vented to keep it safe. That means cracking the overhead garage door a bit which lets in all the cold. Kind of defeats the purpose.

My house has natural gas I can tap into so maybe a heater that can burn that.

oldsklminitrk had one of these this past weekend in a 20x20 shop(they're good for up to 4700 sqr ft),over kill to say the least, but nobody got cold either :D

get a Kerosense Torpedo type heater.

Mine runs on Jp1 ,kerosense ,Diesel ect.

Diesel is cheaper than Keronsene

home heating oil might be even cheaper

was about 275 -300 dollars and just hook up to the power cored and last for about 5 hrs.

the propane unit pirtured drum looking thing I have one and a 20pound bottle dont last has long

the torpedo you and point and shoot the air where your working.

I got one for Jeff and frank and they like it. I think theres was 5 or mayby even 10 gal tank with wheels

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

I'm still finishing my garage, but was planning to do what was mentioned earlier in this thread, add a vent off of the gas furnace for the house. I remember a friend of mine doing this a long time ago, and it worked well. I don't know what his gas bill looked like, but if you only opened it when you were working out there, it shouldn't be too bad.

I've got one of these:

3 things I don't like about it:

-Fumes

-Noise

-It uses a lot of propane (always running to get it filled again)

Has anyone tapped a vent off the house furnace for the garage? How was the heat? How was the bill?

It is getting cold and I want to work on my dime over the winter. I want to buy a decent heater but I am on a Ratsun budget.

My garage is insulated and has a new insulated door. It is an attached garage and is about 300 SF.

I want something safe and inexpensive (+/-$300)

Any Suggestions?

Thanks,

I was just ACE hardware store last week looking for efficient heaters without a big bill on electricity.

Consulted folks there and stated that if I pick electric heaters, it could change the tier charge on my PG&E billing. More electricity I use the more they charge per watt and vice versa.

So maybe using propane tank type heaters but it does require fresh air to come in the garage.

David,

You do not want an unvented heater. The fumes, regardless of the fuel used WILL infiltrate the house where the garage is attached. Besides the danger of carbonmonoxide build-up it will ultimately cause your wife and kids to tell you to shut it off, because it WILL stink, trust me.

If you are looking at a long term solution where you can go out into the garage and work, my suggestion is to install a sidewall vented NG heater like used in mobile homes. These are exterior wall mounted vertical furnaces that take in outside combustion air and exhaust to the outside. The fan powered, reverse flow units work best as they force heated air out the bottom of the heater. They are more expensive than the convection type that intake return air off the floor and outlet heated air at the ceiling.

My work shop is a 2 bay garage under the house. I have a reverse flow unit mounted between the garage doors. It can be turned on and run for times when I am working or left off when I'm not. These units run from $1200-$2000/each depending on features like reverse flow, electronic ignition, etc. My garage unit is an Empire like this one, http://www.efireplacestore.com/cui-dv55iplp.html

yhst-95622685483394_2078_146453780

Another option would be a small ceiling hung unit, designed to heat garages. Northern Tool sells a unit for $449.99 called "Mr. Heater".

Link: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200307959_200307959

heater_4.jpg

A word of caution, there are strick height install requirements on gas burners ia a garage. There is a minimum height the burner must be of the floor due to the possibility of gasoline fume build-up as well as other requirements.

I am installing one of these right now, in my workshop. 45K BTU with separated combustion camber

prev_1115277398.jpg

I have tried lots of different heaters over the years in the workshop. Realize that any heater that burns fuel creates moisture. Moisture=rust= bad for machine tools. The way around this is to use a heater that the combustion camber is separated from the area that you are going to heat. Takes air from outside for combustion and vents the exhaust outside. Also with this style of heater you can paint or use flammable materials, i.e., solvents. I told the wife, that this year is the last year I am going to freeze. Which will mean more time getting projects done.

Monte

I run a propane heater head. $20 bucks a fill up, and better on low and you have to run back to it every few minutes until you're working hard enough to maintain your own body heat. I'll post a video of frozeness later. :D