With all this Cold Weather - Ratsun GARAGE HEATERS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...thought this would be the appropriate place to post this since it has alot to do with the subject at hand. I don't know if any of you know, but I'm a volunteer fire fighter with Southwest Fire in Macks Creek, Mo. I've been on numerous calls over the past year that I've been on the department, ranging from brush fires to auto accidents. I've kind of been lucky as until last night, only one was a fatality, and that was due to a overturned tractor. I was eating dinner last night when the call went out over the radio. A woman had called it in stating that there had been an explosion and that she believed her husband was dead and her uncle was severely burned. My brother and I jumped in the truck and headed down to where the call was. When we arrived we found a two bay shop fully engulfed in flames. We immediately spotted the body just in side the doorway fully involved. Inside were two vehicles, a G-body Monte Carlo and a short bed Chevy truck...I realized these were project vehicles after the fact...in other words, this had been a car guy just like you and me. The fire started when they were starting the shop stove...evidently they had thrown some oil into it and it flashed back onto them starting the fire and killing one of them. I'm telling you guys this because I don't want to see anyone on here end up like these guys. He was married and had two little kids ages 5-6. It just goes to show that one little thing, that you never see coming, can have mortal consequenses. PLEASE be careful and mindful of what you're doing in your shop this winter. There are literally hundreds of things in the average garage that are extremely flammable. The fire last night got so hot, that some magnesium wheels he had lit up. So please guys....be careful and don't do anything careless or just plain dumb...it's no joke, especially in the shop.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can learn from these guys' mistake.

Thanks for posting that. It is true that we need to be very careful and realize that it can happen to us too.

If you notice in my original post I said

"I want something safe and inexpensive"

Safe was first. I would rather freeze that risk a fire in my home.

My shop is not heated unless I turn on the lights:blink:

Here is my truck after a recent huge dump of snow...

Datsun25.jpg

Datsun24.jpg

Haha...waiting for the "heater" to come back on in the driveway...it's minus 11 this morning...no way...nope.

After spending some years in a couple different Fire Departments and seeing plenty of really bad stuff I can only strongly restate what Ed already mentioned...

Don't screw around. It's just not worth it. Think first.