PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

I have a mechanical fuel pump on grimace and it seems fine. But on my vw bug I use a electric fuel pump under the tank. But I have a new metal filter from the tank b4 the pump and another 1 b4 carb.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Solid advice Niel & i can picture what your describing. Whats wierd & i forgot to mention this is...the night before i started it & once the motor warmed up it sputtered & died. Mind you it was not hot @ that time which kinda tells me it may be the fuel pump crapping out. Im not discrediting the vapor lock scenerio at all but for $$ sake i may replace the pump diaphram & see if that fixes it. Honestly though im so tired of tinkering on this beast & have contemplating selling it but time will tell if that happens.

& thanks Steve for the Buster song...LoL

• 1 month later...

Ok today i shot 120 psi into the fuel line both directions, installed new rubber fuel lines in all 3 sections, new fuel filter & i even made a heat shield next to the carb to protect the fuel line from excessive heat. Next is to install a new fuel pump & then do a long test drive.

• Like 1

Mark put a half dozen wooden clothes pins on the steel fuel line from the pump to the carb.  These will work as a heat sink.

Ran my 50 Studebaker Champion and my uncle's DeSoto this way.

http://www.zoro.com/g/00105799/k-G0290936?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=COPOtIvz7r8CFcI7MgodeEIAqA

Well shes back on the road..the new aftermarket mech. fuel pump seems to have fixed the issue. Also flushed the radiator & put in new coolant. Interesting trick Charlie but the line from the pump to the weber is rubber...will it still work as long as the line doesnt get pinched ?

• Like 1

Ok here we go again & probably for the last time. The truck stalled on me twice yesterday. The 2nd time on the hwy in 110 degree sun fir 2 hours i tried but she woyldnt fire. At this point i dont even care what it "might be" !!! Ended up paying $100 to tow it home & i give up the truck wins. May have it sold already & or ill pull the motor as a backup for the boat. If anybody wants a 620 with LOTS of body mods fairly cheap send me a PM.

have your tank flushed out maybe to much debris/rust in tank. if you are serious about selling it for a reasonable price i'm interested cuz you know i have always wanted a convertible datsun but couln't bear to cut up grimace

Gene..ill let you know.

Ray..it has a matchbox dist already.

I believe its a combo of buying a bad pump & the accel pump on the Weber gone bad.

Itll sit again till i decide what to do with it.

Your right Ray i lost track of the hours i have into it.

• Like 1

Mark how is your matchbox positioned?  Is the matchbox facing towards the intake/exhaust manifolds?  On the 1980 720 L20B the factory has the distributor turned to where the matchbox faces the radiator.  This will make a big difference in the amount of heat the matchbox absorbs.  Remember her is an electronic devices worst enemy.

This is how the matchbox sits in a 1980 720 L20B.  This is a 1976 L20B that is in my 520.

DSC00696.jpg

Also Gene has not driven his 521 far enough to know if he needs to change his fuel line setup to include a return line.

Mark did this truck have this problem in San Diego?  You can order an accelerator pump from Pierce Manifolds.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=47407.249&Search.x=18&Search.y=10

Cheaper way to go.

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/92.3237.05%20minor.htm

Or Major Rebuild Kit

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/92.3237.05%20major.htm

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Charlie TY for those links. This problem did not exist back in San diego so i know it's a heat related issue. Shes still sitting in the garage with a puddle of fuel under the tank...oh boy now what !?

Heres an old vid / slideshow i made years ago showing some of the build progress...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...