PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

Ok the work continues on the never ending build. I have 1 door cap done, both door panels made / 1 installed & ill work on the PS door this weekend. Another mod i may do is to extend the bedsides to match the cab. & before i drive it 4 hours across the desert to our swdp bbq ill finish the electric fan & mech. temp gauge install. Pics soon...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

& the baby steps continue. Kinda hard to do anything when its 110...uuggh ! Today i.... Painted & installed new mud flaps..prepped & painted new tail light bezels (ty Dat620)..& made new roll pan & painted it.

Mainly getting it ready for the bbq next month...

Pic of the capped doors & new panels........

bgws51.jpg

this weekend ill finish mounting the new tail light bezels & the new roll pan i made. i also put on a new set of mud flaps w/ a better way to mount them...the old ones kinda drug themselves off.. :rofl:

random pic of the beast...

2cf72is.jpg

• Like 1

Dave get your truck down here now ! :cool: I worked all weekend on the 620 & progress has been made. I had an idea to open my tailgate a different way & came up with a simple way to do it. I used an old hydraulic cylinder & some scrap metal. On to the pix...

1jq93a.jpg

28b8tpw.jpg

i drilled a few holes so the gate can be set @ different angles. a grade 8 bolt will hold it in place...

206mwiu.jpg

ezrzc.jpg

shocks, light bezels & new roll pan painted..pan has a cutout so it doesnt get crushed...

2rw45fd.jpg

& a wtf pic... :w00t:

33clqbd.jpg

bottom line is that im having fun with this truck & its costing me basically nothing...until something breaks :geek:

Mark,

I've never seen this thread! I always just go to the 620's and it's not on there. I dig this truck! we need to get some photo's of our trucks together at the bbq ! I'll be there Saturday mid morning with my crew. I hope to see you and this roadster there and go for a cruise!

Thanks Moody ! Ill be driving it from Bullhead to the bbq & the top is staying home. I should arrive friday morning & Ill deffinately will have my camera for pix of all the trucks. Hell yeah lets cruise..id like to cruise in El tiki diablo too !

Hi Mike hows everything ? Yes alot has changed in the last year B) & thanks. PM your # again when you can.

Got a few more small things done today until i ran into an electrical issue [here we go again].....

ratsun emblem on grill..

1toobr.jpg

& no more exhaust tip crushing the roll pan...& you can see i extended the bedside in front of the PS rear tire 2 inches [now even w/ the rockers]

30tmex4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

OK as some of you know the 620 didnt make it to our bbq last weekend. The rubber surrounding the carrier bearing decided to let go on the test drive. Steroid has loaned / given me a used but in good shape bearing with a solid rubber "doughnut" surrounding the shaft instead of the thin rubber sleeve. This will be installed mainly to move the truck in the driveway & to also "cycle" the suspension to see how much if any the rear shaft is pushing & or pulling on the carrier bearing. Ill be installing a chrome rear shaft that came from Dat620's stash. Im still having headlight issues...they workbut only with the key in the ON position & its blown several fuses.The fun never ends........ :confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Update time. With the solid rubber "doughnut" installed instead of the stock rubber surround i got a bad vibration & couldnt get out of 1st gear. I pulled the shafts & noticed the end of the front shaft was bent. I picked up another front shaft & ill install another new carrier bearing. I replaced the U joints on the rear shaft to eliminate that possible issue. Maybe by April ill be able to actually drive it....

You are correct steve.

What i did as an experiment was i installed a used but ok bearing...removed all the rubber & ground it to bare metal..used the metal outer ring that the rubber used to be attached to...centered it around the bearing & tack welded 4 one inch spacers equally spaced apart to the outer ring & to the bearing. In therory this will not allow the rear shaft to travel forward as i lower the rear suspension but i wanted to see if it would work. The test drive showed no vibration at a few different ride heights but i am getting a squeal coming from the bearing...probably cause its old ?

Im not gonna chop up a new part but i was happy that the experiment mostly worked.