PCD's 74 620 progress/build up

Well i was hoping to simply "chase" the threads & insert a new plug but theres not much thread left to chase.

Ill probably drill out & insert a heli-coil. I dont want to remove the head so ill take your "grease on the drill bit" trick & go for it slow N easy.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Moises- feels good to be working on it again. I want to show it @ the FF show.

Steve- Good idea..ill do that.

Today i modified the seat brackets..they sat a bit high. I shortened the front mounts 1 inch...

5es4mu.jpg

& then i started in on a mod ive been wanting to do for a long time. 1st step was to remove the window, regulator & the rubbers...

2ls8ym1.jpg

then got the sheet metal & the welder out.......

20zp4lc.jpg

wwgsud.jpg

Ill also ditch the fur & make some new door panels soon.

Thanks guys..i have a few hours of grinding to do to get the doors presentable.

The DS door is all ready for the grinder & some filler.Also got to messing around with making a new mirror that i may or not go with...

919ndk.jpg

4ghuf4.jpg

The mirror shape is a 39 Ford taillight bucket i had laying around the garage.

Today i drilled out & tapped the #4 plug...installed a new plug & its nice & snug...tried several times & she would'nt start. Removed valve cover & hand primed fuel pump..it then started but ran rough & backfired through the carbs a few times.

At this point i said F it the SU's are coming off ! The truck has never ran right with them on & now i cant even get it to idle so i can adjust them.

So i put the Weber back on in hopes of getting it to start & run the next time i work on it.

Im just about at my wits end on this truck. I work & work on it & im not getting the results i want which is..get in turn the key & DRIVE it.

what do you think was making them not run well on the l18?

i dont get how they can fire up one day and then not another...?

The last time i drove it [over 1 1/2 years ago] the truck was running way rich [strong exhaust smell] & my gas mileage was crappy.

So after the truck sat for awhile I reset them to baseline settings according to the SU site i went to ...

http://www.sportsimports.ca/archive/technicaltips/att06.htm

Ever since then i could'nt get it to start & run. & then toss the stripped #4 plug thread issue !

This truck has almost drained all my motivation to even work on it.

• 1 month later...

dude, id just put your old weber back on it...

once you get it running and drivin again, youll fall back in love..

Thats what we ended up doing today! I say we cause a good friend came over & we spent all day tinkering on it. I swapped on another used 32-36 i picked up awhile back because the accel. pump on my old Weber wasnt working. She would turn over but wouldnt start..put some gas in the carb & she'd run for a few seconds. We then remove the valve cover & discover the arm on the fuel pump is'nt even resting against the offset cam sprocket !!! DUH it's not even pumping gas to the carb so....Greg gives me an old fuel pump he had in his shed..we install it & she fires & runs on the 1st try ! This carb has a manual choke which i used a hood release cable to activate the choke. Ill mount that under the dash somewhere later. We then drove the truck up & down the street a few times for the 1st time in 2 years :D She has a way to go before it's legal to drive again but to hear it run & idle today was huge ! TY Greg i owe you big time ! & proof that it runs, parked next to Gregs 73...

2pt5tts.jpg