Seafoam- who's done it?

Have y'all ever seafoamed your l-motors? Good results?

There is no brake booster line on a 521, (which is how they suggest you get it into the combustion chamber) would you just trickle it down the carb?

I've heard crazy good things about it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine it's mostly a solvent based additive. Probably says 'petroleum distillates' on the label.

Back in the day a buddy used to give his 283 the Coke treatment. He warmed the chevy up smokin' hot, even put cardboard in front of the rad and have the headers uncapped. Fill that 10oz bottle with water and pore slowly down the 4bbl while trying to keep the revs up around 5K. Eventually you could hold it full open and regulate the RPMs by poring in water. The shit that came out the pipes was awesome. The motor would steam clean itself and the deposits would flake right off just like when an L head gasket blows.

They recommend putting 1/3 can in your gas tank, 1/3 in the engine oil, and 1/3 straight into your throttle body or carb. When you give it gas afterword a lot of the time a thick black cloud comes out the exhaust if your motor is dirty. (Lets you know it's working) Used it in every vehicle I've owned, and most of the time the difference is noticeable. If your motor is already clean there probably isn't much point, but it can't hurt anyway.

I heard one guy on some forum mention that he had a ton of leaks afterward. The theory being that his was a very high mileage engine, and some of that carbon gunk was holding his engine together! Plugging some leaky spots, etc. And sure enough when he broke down the engine the leaky spots were the cleanest parts!

But that was the only complaint I heard really.

Y'all should youtube some seafoam video. The smoke coming out of there is crazy! Many dudes said that traffic had to stop behind them because they couldn't see!

I imagine it's mostly a solvent based additive. Probably says 'petroleum distillates' on the label.

Back in the day a buddy used to give his 283 the Coke treatment. He warmed the chevy up smokin' hot, even put cardboard in front of the rad and have the headers uncapped. Fill that 10oz bottle with water and pore slowly down the 4bbl while trying to keep the revs up around 5K. Eventually you could hold it full open and regulate the RPMs by poring in water. The shit that came out the pipes was awesome. The motor would steam clean itself and the deposits would flake right off just like when an L head gasket blows.

I used to help an older gentleman do the coke bottle trick. He'd pour in the water and I'd feather the foot-feed to keep it from dying. Later on I did the same trick on my cars but with Marvel Mystery Oil and the wife working the foot-feed.

Re: Sea-Foam - never used the engine treatment but their Trans Tune stuff is good stuff. The two-speed automatic in my '64 Fairlane tends to not want to shift if it sits a few weeks and Trans Tune helps it start shifting again.

Of course I know guys who swear that a couple of tea spoons of brake fluid will do the same thing.

Fisch it's an L series, usually my theory is don't touch anything if it's running "good enough" unless you feel like pulling a motor. Sometimes just doing a simple thing on an L series can turn into a huge project because a bolt snaps. From experience I would leave well enough alone unless you don't mind possible adding another item to the list :D

I know how it is though :D I was checking the timing on my L series just because the timing light was out. It seems my engine isn't getting max advance with the weights like it should. I almost started tearing into it. When I realized... Why??? It's not going to fix the worn out carbs and thats really the only problem with my engine. Yeah it's slow but it's an L16 what do I expect :D

I have had nothing but good results seafoaming newer engines, I can't speak for L series motors.

Tell you what though this thread has me wanting to suck some water asap lol.

Guest DatsuNoob
i will just stick with my flux capacitor, thanks to everyone here that visits the electric disscussion.

HAHAHA!:lol: Sea foam is great stuff! When I went out to rochester to buy my truck I used it in the stock carb. It would hardly run at first, but after adding a little at a time it started running better. Gobs of black smoke! I like to run around a couple days with it in the crankcase before an oil change every once in a while. I've even disconnected vaccuum lines and stuck them straight in the bottle while revving. Works great to clean the vac system too.

Fisch it's an L series, usually my theory is don't touch anything if it's running "good enough" unless you feel like pulling a motor. Sometimes just doing a simple thing on an L series can turn into a huge project because a bolt snaps. From experience I would leave well enough alone unless you don't mind possible adding another item to the list :D

I know how it is though :D I was checking the timing on my L series just because the timing light was out. It seems my engine isn't getting max advance with the weights like it should. I almost started tearing into it. When I realized... Why??? It's not going to fix the worn out carbs and thats really the only problem with my engine. Yeah it's slow but it's an L16 what do I expect :D

I hear you Jeff! I pulled my sparks the other day and 3 out of four were wet and oily. The valves do tap in fourth going up a hill. Which is prolly the timing. I am guessing this engine needs a rebuild. Hell it needs that just for the leaky rear seal. And the clutch slips if there is any heavy load in the back from the leaky seal I'd imagine. Seafoam isn't gonna help those issues!

I need to do a compression test, and check the timing, but it still gets me to the local car meet and back so I haven't bothered. Kinda weird, when I first take off in it, it is as if the engine stumbles in power. It isn't sputtering backfiring or anything you can hear, just feel. After it is good and warm, it isn't nearly as noticable.

why pour water when usuing a water mister(on stream) works just as good. my 67 mustang enjoyed an internal steam bath and spit out some nasty crud :D

only seafoamed 1 toyota engine(22RE @ 175K) and was smokily pleased(the nieghbors werent :lol: ) id do it it agian if needed.

same feelings as the others on a L series though...

The valves do tap in fourth going up a hill. Which is prolly the timing. I am guessing this engine needs a rebuild. Hell it needs that just for the leaky rear seal.

Seafoam isn't gonna help those issues!

marvel mystrey oil & Techron additive has help me is those instances, and Bardhals 'no smoke-leak fix' goooo for bad rings.

i will just stick with my flux capacitor, thanks to everyone here that visits the electric disscussion.

You have a flux capacitor?? George Noorey on coast to coast was wondering if anyone out there had a flux capacitor yet. Are you a time traveler hercules?

:D

• Like 1

I always have at least 3-4 cans of Seafoam on the shelf in the shop. My 210 gets it on every third oil change and i use it on any outboard that im working on to clean them up. The Deep Creep stuff is awesome also.

I heart seafoam. My 91 teg used to bog under throttle. Seafoamed the bitch and she ran smooth as butter. Plus running through the gears billowing out clouds of smoke was fucking hilarious. I've gotten most of my friends to try it at least once on thier cars. I still do it at least once a year. Gonna have to do it to the 510 when I get it running again.

• 5 months later...

I'm debating seafoaming my 620. I don't know how many miles she has, but she bogs down sometimes at low RPMs. I think a new carb is in order too, the old one is all chewed up and the internals are loose. The spring holding the throttle arm down isn't doing it's job, but I don't know where to buy the original or where it is supposed to sit.

I've heard that seafoam can also have reverse effects, by cleaning out areas that are normally sealed by grime. This may cause leaks, which I'd like to avoid. I just don't think that this engine is at it's full potential.

They recommend putting 1/3 can in your gas tank, 1/3 in the engine oil, and 1/3 straight into your throttle body or carb. When you give it gas afterword a lot of the time a thick black cloud comes out the exhaust if your motor is dirty. (Lets you know it's working) Used it in every vehicle I've owned, and most of the time the difference is noticeable. If your motor is already clean there probably isn't much point, but it can't hurt anyway.

Yep thats how I do it on my VWs. Works excellent.

I just got some for.....everyone please check out this picture of the coolest YouthGroup van in recorded history...:lol::

Dodgevan8.jpg

Dodgevan3.jpg

1969 Dodge A100...318,2bbl carb,factory foot rest thing in front of the passenger plus a factory swing out step for the side doors...!!!...:blink:...94k original miles, runs great (gas in a bottle on the floor of the passenger side for now)...$700 bucks!

I might start a coloring contest with the High School students...:D

I used to always use the water trick in my VWs...hold the throttle almost wide open :eek:and then slowly introduce a steady stream of water while trying to keep it from dying...SO MUCH CRAP COMES OUT!!!:D

A guy that I used to work for at a shop out in Cali would use brake fluid the same way if a car was not passing smog...up went the RPMs...in went the brake fluid...out came all sorts of Carbon (flakes the size of quarters!) and off went the car...billowing down the highway. After about 20 minutes of driving, it was running really clear and the car would almost ALWAYS pass smog with flying colors when he took it back.

I put the whole bottle of Sea Foam in the tank of the van this time...the gas had been sitting for a few years...filled it up with fresh gas as well and will be finding out the results after it stops snowing:rolleyes:

The guy at the counter of the parts store said that they sell truck loads of it.

Edited by denveratsun

I have used it with success as well. When I first got my Hustler it ran like crap. Wouldn't hold an idle by itself. Ran the tank to empty and put the whole can of Seafoam with a full tank of Super. Ran great after that. Never did develope any leaks either.

I bought a new 79 Harley LowRider and it would carbon up & start pinging. I stopped in at Yuma Harley on a trip to San Diego. The owner of Yuma Harley said they would have to tear it down and it would take about 2 days. Well the mechanic came out of the back and ask me to pull it around back so I did. Some old school people might remember what a dixie cup was. the mechanic filled one with water removed my air cleaner asked me to keep the motor at about 2000 RPM while he trickle that cup of water into the carb, Well that Harley blew so much carbon out the pipes. Ended up having to do it about every 5000 miles. You do not need some high dollar concoction to de-carbon a motor. I used this method all on size motors, on smaller motors I use a spray bottle so I do no get to much water at one time and always bring motor up to operating temp before adding water.