SR521 Build Thread - 808 Style!

808DA6

Ok. Finally got enough done that I can start my build thread. The truck has found its way to Altered Motives and is being introduced to its new best friend; a fresh SR.

Teaser:

Prelude01.jpg

Phase Ia:

L16 gone. Chassis wiring harness gone. Brake lines gone. ALL front suspension gone. All steering components gone (shortly after this pic was taken.)

IMG00032.jpg

Phase Ib:

Test fit. If you are willing to put up with pulling the motor everytime you need to service the trans (clutch, seals, etc...) then you really don't need any structural mods. I want to pull the motor as little as possible SO i cut the transmission x-member and will fab a drop out for it.

IMG00036.jpg

IMG00037.jpg

IMG00039.jpg

IMG00038.jpg

IMG00042.jpg

IMG00044.jpg

There is tons of space. Don't let anyone tell you different. I'm going to be using a steering rack and that's the biggest reason I removed the steering box and everything else. Joma(aka, Makibaka) was able to keep stock steering components with the exception of lowering the drag link.

Shifter position:

Stock seat might not work. I think this is a Toyota one. They are going to be replaced with buckets anyway. I'm going to need shoulder harnesses and more support. Notice that nothing has been done to the tunnel. There is 3/4in clearance at the front of the cutout. It will be "massaged" to compensate for motor movement, but no cutting will be involved. At the shifter box, a little widening will be needed, but only to make life easy when I need to get to the shifter bushings.

IMG00040.jpg

.....thats all for now.

Next steps:

I need to design a new x-member for the motor. This x-member will have the motor mounts attached to it as well as house the lower control arm mounts and steering rack. The whole assembly will be a drop-out craddle design. Should be fun.

-Brian

BTW, many thanx to Nelson for guidance through this. The truck will be at Altered Motives until it drives itself out. Stop by and check it out if you are in the neighborhood.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, I cant wait to follow this build :D never got to ride in Jomas but it looked fast... whats your time line like? Are we talking by Canby??? if so maybe I can swindle a ride :cool:

Clayton

Cool!!! That truck is going to be insane!!

Okay I just have a few things I would like to ask/predict :D

How much hood clearance is there? If I was you (which I know I'm not :D ) I would raise the engine as high as possible, front sump pans like to find the ground if you know what I mean... Even an inch is a huge amount when dealing with day to day driving.

What kinda rack are you going to use? The 240z would be a nice narrow rack, or are you going with a custom joby?

What isolators are you going to run? I used RB ones in my car, a little on the stiff side... Not that everything else is in the daily driver type of car category :D

Are you going to get rid of the carrier bearing? I'm not a fan of that stupid/expensive add feature in the trucks :)

I'm also wonder about rad choice, IC choice, among other things, more explanations for Wolf Man :D

Brian, I cant wait to follow this build :D never got to ride in Jomas but it looked fast... whats your time line like? Are we talking by Canby??? if so maybe I can swindle a ride :cool:

Clayton

Believe me, I'm spending every weekend working on this puppy and am shooting for Canby. LOTS of work though. I don't really even consider it started yet. If it does make it to Canby, we can terrorize the streets of Canby a little. ;)

o man you got some work dun

Tryin to beat Karl. ;) Hahahahaha!

Cool!!! That truck is going to be insane!!

Okay I just have a few things I would like to ask/predict

How much hood clearance is there? If I was you (which I know I'm not ) I would raise the engine as high as possible, front sump pans like to find the ground if you know what I mean... Even an inch is a huge amount when dealing with day to day driving.

What kinda rack are you going to use? The 240z would be a nice narrow rack, or are you going with a custom joby?

What isolators are you going to run? I used RB ones in my car, a little on the stiff side... Not that everything else is in the daily driver type of car category

Are you going to get rid of the carrier bearing? I'm not a fan of that stupid/expensive add feature in the trucks.

I'm also wonder about rad choice, IC choice, among other things, more explanations for Wolf Man.

Ground/hood clearance: I got a good bit of hood clearance, but I really want the center of gravity low. I am contenplating a belly plate to protect the motor.

Steering: Steering rack choice? Not sure yet. Probably a 200SX. Works well on the dime and the truck is actually slightly wider in track width then a dime. Should work.

Isolators: Not sure yet.

Driveline: One piecer! :) Screw that carrier bearing crap. I need to grab a driveline from Andrew Drummond then go shopping for a slip yolk.

Other stuffs: None of the other stuffs have been decided on yet. It is going to be initially run NA for tuning and break-it. This is Mark's motor and has zero miles on it. :)

Thanks for the complements guys. I'll keep this updated as best as I can. I need to remember to take my camera to the shop. My phone takes grainy assed photos.

-Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Icehouse, how would the shift in location/style of the rack affect it?

Was thinking of doin a rack setup on my 521 aswell so your comment is making me think more about it. My thought was that if it can be mounted, is the right size, and orientation regarding the input shaft/steering column..itd work fine. Am i missing something?

B, Any updates???

Clayton

Sup Clayton.

Not too much to report. Hawaiians dont like cold or rain. :) Got some work done today though. Finalized the motor mount design. Its really low profile to help with clearance of the steering linkage, UCA mounts and turbo. Clearance wouldn't have been an issue, but I wanted the motor as low as I could get it.

I'll get pics up later.

-Brian

I keep forgetting my camera.

Well, got some work done today and those that have good imagination can picture what's going on. :fu:

So both right and left motor mounts are built and are 90% done. I need to get tubing to sleeve the bolt hole where it mounts the motor bracket. Also need to pick up bolts for the frame mount. They look pretty good. Tomorrow I should be able to remove the mounting jig (wood and a scissor jack. Hahahaha) and let the motor sit in there by itself.

Oh, and we test fit the T28 in there. Its a close fit, but looks dead fuggin sexy in there. I forgot to look to see what kind of room I have for steering linkage though. Oh well. Tomorrow will see.

-Brian

Pics soon. I promise. :D

Gettin low, gettin low.....

IMG00054.jpg

With THAT kind of hood clearance, can anyone guess where my intercooler will be?

Turbo clearance:

IMG00050.jpg

IMG00052.jpg

Belly shot:

IMG00053.jpg

LOTS of cast pan room. One of the next steps will be fab'ing up a new x-member that will house the LCA mounts and steering rack.

Pau for now.

-Brian

Mark (tiltnose) built it. Its pretty cool, but I'll be taking it to a local shop later to change the throttle body flange. My Q45 TB won't fit on the one that's there. ;)

Canby is coming up too fast. Struggling to keep up. At the very least, it'll get trailored to the show. :)

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...