SR521 Build Thread - 808 Style!

808DA6

Well, I've decided on a rack. Grabbed it out of an Opel. Late 70's model (not the mini vette looking thing.) Stumbled onto it on accident and it fits surprisingly well:

Rack01.jpg

Rack02.jpg

Rack03.jpg

Its manual and we'll see how much I regret that choice later. Now its the waiting game again. Need ball joint monoballs for before I can design the control arms.

-Brian

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[2eDeYe: I'm going to have to chop up the stock column and add in a couple of univerals to clear the downpipe.

Jes: Not sure if that Opel was offered in p/s. I've never really even seen another like it.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update just for a lack of pics. Had to make this piece to truly separate the wastegate flow. It was a pain in the ass, but will be worth it. Still have some shaping to do.

DivorcedFlange02.jpg

DivrocedFlange01.jpg

Other then that, I ran in to some snags with my motor mounts and UCA mounts. Long story short, I will be cutting my frame mounts off and chopping the motor mounts a bit. The mounts will be welded to the mount brackets and the frame mounts will be relocated to the insides of the frame rails. All this because I need to move my UCA mounts further in on the frame so that my UCA's aren't crazy short. P.I.T.A!!!! I guess if this shit was easy everyone would do it.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

So these make me happy. They came out pretty good and now the clearance issues are gone. I definitely learned a valuable lesson; don't finish weld ANYTHING until EVERYTHING is in place. It took the better part of two days to cut and grind the old mount out.

Old:

IMG00050.jpg

New:

MotorMountv202.jpg

MotorMountv201.jpg

-Brian

Jes: Not sure if that Opel was offered in p/s. I've never really even seen another like it.

sorry I have to be that guy.

It was either a kadett, a manta, and the so called "corvette looking thing" is a GT. If I'm correct all late '70's opels were equiped with rack and pinion steering.

Ok. It wasn't the "Corvette looking thing." I still see those around and actually thought they were pretty cool when I was growing up. It was a coupe. Kinda the same shape and style of a Vega. I saw that Art Morrison sells a replacement rack for the Opel (along with all the other populars) so I now feel luck to have yanked this one before someone else did.

• 2 weeks later...

nope and nope. Hahahaha! I'll admit it. I'm one of the slowest f@*Kers to ever build a car......or truck. Part of it is funds right now. I don't have any. It WILL get done tho. I may be slow, but i'm no fuggin quiter.

-Brian

So first off, big THANK YOU to MKlotz. What sure what road I would have went down w/o him stepping in and turning down my spindles:

This is a side-by-side if the Hardbody spindles (left) compared to the Mustang II 2" drop spindles. Really close in profile except for about .030" that needed to be spun down so that the D21 bearings could be installed.

MustangIIvsD2101.jpg

Went this route because I'm thinking more towards the future. With a Mustang II setup, brake options and wheel options will be limitless when funds become available.

Here's a couple of picks of a 75% complete mock up. I still have some geometry to work on (static and dynamic) so the design will change slightly. Camber, caster and track width are all fully adjustable.

UCA01.jpg

LCA01.jpg

Mockup01.jpg

Also, I've decided that my SSR's won't quite work the best for what i'm trying to accomplish. Its basically an offset issue and how its affecting the steering and clearance. I'm back to using these again:

TheStance03.jpg

TheStance04.jpg

15x7 instead of my 15x8 SSR's. This doesn't mean that the SSR's are for sale so don't ask. :-)

-Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty major setback. When I had 90% of the suspension mocked in place and was miving it through its range of motion, we found a prob.. It was yielding odd dynamic geometry during travel. Turns out the distance between the UCA and LCA frame mount was way taller then the spindle height. Not good. I ended up cutting the x-member mount out (after it was already finish-welded) and moved the entire lower section up 3/4". Going to the shop tomorrow to see how the geometry is going to work. Grinding down weld sux ass!

• 2 weeks later...