What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pulled a Z24 water pump from the last timing cover laying around. The last two water pumps started leaking in my 620. I have one from an L series but they are the smaller volume pumps. Thing is I have to cut the clutch fan off for room behind the rad.

The long bolt was broken.... so I cut the threads off another and welded it on. Cot the clutch cut off and trimmed it up nice. Now if only it won't leak. PITA to remove the grill and headlight pots to get at the rad and remove it so I have room to get at it. This will be pump #3. If all else fails I'll start cutting up the L pumps.

Edited by datzenmike

Passed inspection! Freakin Ma inspection station nazis. I had failed from a rusty tailgate, 3 small holes in the pass rocker, and a missing driver side mirror.

Put on a tail gate Tdaaj hooked me up with. Little JB weld body work on the rocker. And adapted a 1980's moped mirror!

More pics here:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=181841#post181841

Also the horn doesn't work when the truck isn't running. But to their credit, they somehow let me off on that. Though I have no idea what the problem is?

But I gotz my sticker!

FischinMirror.jpg

Also the horn doesn't work when the truck isn't running. But to their credit, they somehow let me off on that. Though I have no idea what the problem is?

The Green/Blue stripe wire on the horn relay must go to the 15amp fuse at the far side of the fuse box. The side that has power at all times. Somehow it is wired to the ignition switched side.

Cleaned out my old gas tank,going to add a sump in it along with a GM 0-90 sending unit and -6an fittings,also put in some autometer's in there,boost,fuel level and oil press. so it will be ready to put back in when i swap in a SR20det motor in there.Looks like they ship me the sr on wednesday so it should take about a week to arrive.

I had an old Erector set from the 60's lying in the garage and decided to use some pieces to make a license plate and light holder. I installed the license plate and my assistant installed the light. Check it the pictures!

lin1.JPG

lin2.JPG

lin3.JPG

lin4.JPG

lin5.JPG

lin6.JPG

lin7.JPG

lin8.JPG

lin9.JPG

lin10.JPG

Guest DatsuNoob

Unbolted my 620's bed, what a pain the arse! Those stupid tabs under the round heads are a real joy! Plenty of cursing today in the heat, rollin around under a dirty old truck gettin after it, but I got it done. A little tip to those doing the same thing, dont bother holding those tabs, just get out the cutting wheels and slice the nut off the bolt. I just put 2 cuts in em and got out the air hammer with a chisel die to break em off. Worked way better than fighting it. Drained about 5 gal of go juice outta that crusty gas tank and should be ready to pull tomorrow. Gonna finish stripping and acid treating the cab.

Edited by DatsuNoob

I rolled the ratrod, better known as hotwheels into the shop today. I'm gonna be pulling the motor and tranny out and swapping over from an L18 4 speed, to an L20 5 speed from the 4x4. its only temporary. Then i'll be having a Z22blockL18frankenmotor built for it.

Passed inspection! Freakin Ma inspection station nazis. I had failed from a rusty tailgate, 3 small holes in the pass rocker, and a missing driver side mirror.

Are you kidding me? You have to pass a "RUST" inspection? Is that really a safety issue?

In VA, we have to have all lights working, good brakes, horn, and no broken glass. Emmisions in some locations.

I have Antique tags, never have to get it inspected again :D

Are you kidding me? You have to pass a "RUST" inspection? Is that really a safety issue?

In VA, we have to have all lights working, good brakes, horn, and no broken glass. Emmisions in some locations.

I have Antique tags, never have to get it inspected again :D

They were being a pain that is for sure! I think I need to find a retro friendly inspection shop! I've seen rods here with unfinished floors, exposed trans, and they have pass stickers. I asked, and they say you have to know someone at the right shop.

They claimed the tailgate failed because there were large rusty edges where someone could cut themselves easily. It was really bad, but what the hell?

The rocker hole fail was because exhaust fumes might get into the cab, which is stupid because those are sealed rockers and there are no holes on my floor. I said as much, but had to be careful cause i am sure they could have found more.

They were going to fail me because my ball joints had too much play in them. I told them they were kingpins. Dude had to go look again, and then said they were ok cause kingpins could have more play than balljoints.

THose guys run a shop that does nothing but inspections, not part of a servicestation. They take their job way to seriously!!

They were being a pain that is for sure! I think I need to find a retro friendly inspection shop! I've seen rods here with unfinished floors, exposed trans, and they have pass stickers. I asked, and they say you have to know someone at the right shop.

They claimed the tailgate failed because there were large rusty edges where someone could cut themselves easily. It was really bad, but what the hell?

The rocker hole fail was because exhaust fumes might get into the cab, which is stupid because those are sealed rockers and there are no holes on my floor. I said as much, but had to be careful cause i am sure they could have found more.

They were going to fail me because my ball joints had too much play in them. I told them they were kingpins. Dude had to go look again, and then said they were ok cause kingpins could have more play than balljoints.

THose guys run a shop that does nothing but inspections, not part of a servicestation. They take their job way to seriously!!

Someone might get cut on a rusty tailgate? Kingpins can have more play than ball joints? WTF? Bureaucrats, argh!:mad:

got the 1800 and the 4 speed out of hot wheels tonight. now i need to clean up the L20, change oil pans and get ready to throw that in it. be working on it through the week if I can and hopefully have it all together by next weekend.

didn't get any pics, didn't have my digital cam and my phone cost 25cents to send pictures.

well now I got two 1800 motors sitting out that i'm not sure what i'm gonna do with.

After driving from Everett, WA to North Bend, WA this past Saturday, I was able to meet with the legal owner of my '77 620 KC and have him sign the title over to me. Yesterday I was able to transfer the title into my name and get the truck insured. This morning I stuck the new month and year tabs on the rear license plate and threw the new registration in the glovebox.

Dan

I used the Forerunner rear window seal and it's perfect! I purchased two NEW ones from the dealer for $35 (that's for both).

Take the old clips off and reuse, and cut the trim with a pair of tin snips as there is a metal strip embedded in the rubber. Don't make it too tight a fit. The first one I did, did not ride against the window, and I found out I had it too long and it made it bulge. Trimed a little off and it seals nice and tight against the windows.

I will get photos and post later.