What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took my 521 up to Golden for the Golden Super Cruise...first Saturday of every month in the summer. Over 1000 cars there this time...at least that many. Rods and Kustoms, Muscle cars and lowriders...sweet night for sure!:cool:

Half tank of gas just cruising up and down the 3 mile circuit with my 17 year old daughter...she was all smiles the whole night! She was shocked by how much response my humble little truck received.

What I find so strange is that when I go there is always a long list of really great comments that people make about my little 521. The truest concept of "Sweet" seems to be not how much money you put into your rig and not at all connected to a particular genre of cars...it seems to be something far more personal and real.

I had a guy follow me all the way up the street on foot just to take a picture and another guy stopped traffic so he could too. I was in a long line of 1940 Fords, Mustangs, 32 Fords, 57 Chevys and Vettes...not to mention all the Tail Draggers, Patina-ed old Ratrods, ex-Show Stoppers and Drag cars. There were no less than 5 people that told me that the truck was the coolest thing in the whole line-up on top of 40 or so that made loud displays of agreement when I rolled by. Children were pointing and asking their fathers about it...other dads were explaining to their kids...women, men...were quickly exclaiming a story about when they used to have one...several old guys that were driving really sweet old rigs took time to tell me that they really liked my little Datsun.

I mean..it would be easy for me to just be bragging...but there is something pretty dang cool about it even beside the simple joy of bragging.:D

People like old Datsuns man!...they are very rare today!...so keep building and perfecting...keep building and welding...keep trimming and painting.:)

People are noticing that a Revolution has begun!:cool:

Removed the center console from my '77 620 KC and, using a rat trap as seen in below pic, trapped and exterminated the ratty manual gearshift lever boot:

Datsungearshiftleverboots001.jpg

Using a new boot robbed from a 280 ZX at PullaPart in Arlington, WA USA and a bit of fabricating with screws and some black plastic cut from one of the wife's flower pots, the pic below shows the new boot and console reinstalled. Not perfect, but I like it. I hope it meets your Ratsun tastes for style!

Datsungearshiftleverboots002.jpg

Oh, by the way; the gearshift knob is from an '83 Nissan Pulsar NX 5 speed manual, also from the same PullaPart. I had bought an '83 Pulsar new in "83, and I like the feel of that shifter knob, even though my KC is just a four speed.

Dan

took mine up to a buddies house the other day (I have no garage). well, Ruthless (my 620) has no brakes, but it does have 3 flat tires...decided to just pull it up there figuring it wouldnt roll to easy (especially since I had to use 4wd to get it to move last time!) anyways, it decided to take off 30 feet from the driveway. i went out and around the truck pulling me...got the towstrap wrapped around the tire and blew the only good tire off the rim! oh well, now it matches as all 4 tires are flat now. motor should be out of it this week, will keep you all posted!

Dropped my spare tire from it's mount under the bed. Was pleased to find I have the original jack, crank handle and long bar in the cab. Washed off lots of caked dirt from said spare, then aired it up only to find the tire leaked in two places at the bead. Had Les Schwab Tire Center in Marysville, WA mount a new tire with the white wall side OUT. I'm going to sand and repaint the wheel, then mount it in place of one of the road wheels, then sand and paint that one, then do it again, until they're all pretty. And then I'm going to have the tire shop remount the existing tires so the whitewalls are facing OUT. I think the whitewalls will add 2HP.

Dan

Couple of nice finds at the junk yard today. Center console out of...well...I'm not sure, but it looks pretty good in my 521! Heres a before and after pic.

IMG_0388.jpg[/img]

IMG_0391.jpg[/img]

I touched it up a bit more to get the few spots I missed. Also found a couple of mint T Top shades for my Z31!

IMG_0390.jpg[/img]

IMG_0389.jpg[/img]

The 620 EV died while stopped on a side street today. Complete electrical shutdown. I called the folks who built it and they say when the accesory battery drops below a certain voltge, the whole system goes dark. Me and another girl pushed it around the corner to a friend's house where it's currently plugged in and charging....sheesh...I hope that's what it is...I'll know by morning. If it's still blacked out, I'm just going to have AAA tow it to my house a mile away & disassemble it for the winter season and put all the batteries down in the basement on pallets. Try pushing a 4,100 lb. Datsun along a crowned street...

Couple of nice finds at the junk yard today. Center console out of...well...I'm not sure, but it looks pretty good in my 521! Heres a before and after pic.

its from a 720... the 'low end' one as far as i know... because 4x4 as well as some others (like mine) have oil pressure and voltage gauges where it says DATSUN... don't have mine in anymore to take pics for proof ... but its exactly the same except for the gauge part

mine looks like this now IMG_0138.jpg

Yesterday: Replaced the 2" blocks with 4 inches and put the overload back. I also pulled the one bumpstop I had in the rear.

Today: Popped the hood and then shut it in irritation cause I want my KA under there.

I may get the front even lower, but I'm not feeling to up to it, plus there's a local nissan meet at Quaker Steak and Lube tonight.

Anyone know anyone who makes/has some ka->720 motor mounts?

Took the timing cover off the '76 KC rustbucket. Had been making very loud timing chain death rattle noises and been getting louder.

Mind you, getting a timing cover off without pulling the head or oil pan isn't a cakewalk. Plus it was virtually glued on with black RTV- it's had a timing kit put in it before, and relatively recently as the guides aren't worn much at all and it has replacement sprockets. Oh, and somehow managed to lose both of my 27mm sockets AND my impact gun... try getting the crank pulley bolt off that way. Managed to use a 28mm socket, breaker bar, and cranked the engine over (clank!) which loosened the bolt (works every time!) Anyhow, got it off without breaking the cover.

Turns out the long-side chain guide rail was cracked in half, just above the upper bolt. The rubber/plastic riding surface was holding it together, but I could see where the chain had been catching the upper edge as it flopped around. I don't have a spare L18 timing kit, but have one on order that's supposed to show up Tuesday so I'll just change the whole timing kit. Hopefully this isn't a cheap Chinese kit like the one that's in there (OK, Taiwanese) but we shall see.