jon521,

If you get back to the 521, I need:

door panels

tail gate chains

rear vire mirror

sun visors

Thanks,

Keith

door panels were in great shape, not sure about tail gate chains, rear view was still there, sunvisors gone. i would definetly get these for you, but i live in salem, which is about 30 or 40 min south of sherwood, and i dont go up there very often. maybe someone from the area could grab them?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are two (2) 4 door 510's in the Ecology on Energy Way site. They are getting picked over fast but they still have a few bits here and there. They both have crossmembers front and back and some dash part. Also, they both still have the rear glass.

And to top it off, tomorrow starts 50% off weekend!

Pick Your Part is also 50% off starting today, but I did not find anything there.

I was at the foster pick&pull in portland or. today, there are several 720 pickups in there, no 1980 ones, there was a 86 with a shortshaft 5 speed, there were also several 280Z cars there(4 or 5 of them), there is one 82 diesel 720, or whats left of one, the dash and diesel tank are all that is left of the diesel specific stuff, someone hacked the wiring harness when they pulled the engine/transmission. There was also a perfect black dash in one of the 720 trucks.

DSCN0739.jpg

I was at the foster pick&pull in portland or. today, there are several 720 pickups in there, no 1980 ones, there was a 86 with a shortshaft 5 speed, there were also several 280Z cars there(4 or 5 of them), there is one 82 diesel 720, or whats left of one, the dash and diesel tank are all that is left of the diesel specific stuff, someone hacked the wiring harness when they pulled the engine/transmission. There was also a perfect black dash in one of the 720 trucks.

DSCN0739.jpg

are those saturn letters?

DSCN0739.jpg

what was the 5 speed in? one of the 720s?

I visited Harry's U-Pull-It in West Hazelton, PA and found one 720 and 2 280zx's. One of them looks like its bodywork was done with cake icing covered with silver paint, and another one that was so rusty the wheel that it was propped up on was bursting through the floor. (...though they could be a good source for some six-spoke wheels.)

catsitting0001.jpg

catsitting0002.jpg

catsitting0003.jpg

catsitting0004.jpg

catsitting0005.jpg

catsitting0006.jpg

I also stopped by Pick-n-Pull in Auburn, NY, and there weren't any Datsuns, but I was amazed to see this early 50's DeSoto that went into the crusher with its toothy grille.

catsitting0007.jpg

are those saturn letters?

Sorry about not getting back sooner, no they didn't come from a saturn, although saturn has all the right letters, and so does the ford taurus(a U can be a N). Actually i can't remember where they all came from because I have almost a hundred letters all over the table, I am thinking it was a dodge stratus, as that was where I got the idea, the N is just an upside down U, I am having a lot of trouble with the Ns and the Ts, I seen an altima with the T, but I haven't found one in the wrecking yard yet with hard plastic raised letters that each letter is separate by itself.

what was the 5 speed in? one of the 720s?

There were a few 5 speeds there, the short shaft was in a 86 nissan(brown)720, regular cab short box. There was also at least 1 long shaft 5 speed. 2 of the 720s had 370 gears in the rear, there was at least one with 389s, there was an automatic 85-86, the one with the 350 gears was missing the rearend, darn it, i want them gears. wayno

Lately I have been seeing and hearing that guys are putting longshafts in there 521 trucks. Seemed like it would be a issue to get them in and out, but they are saying it is not a problem. This way the shifter would be right there close.

oh ya? why is that? just because the shifter location or because they are easier to get a hold of? i thought the long shaft would be a issue, shortening the driveline and what not.

oh ya? why is that? just because the shifter location or because they are easier to get a hold of? i thought the long shaft would be a issue, shortening the driveline and what not.

I think because it's easier to get a hold of, doglegs are expensive and disappear as fast as they show up, and it's not easy to find everything you need to put a truck shortshaft together for a 521/510 vehicle, there was a time that I could go to the wrecking yard and find a 1980 720 tranny and a 1985-6 720 shortshaft tranny, pull them both, take them apart there, put what I needed together and buy just the one tranny I needed, I have not seen a 80 and 85-6 720 in the same yard with trannys in them in a long time. I was at Uncle Laulau's today, he has a longshaft(pre 1980) in his 521, he said that the former owner said it was hard getting it in there, but there it was, I road around in it, it drove fine. I am happy that I don't have to work on that tranny/clutch combo, I would like to be around to see if it is possible to get it out and replace it without moving the engine.

I think because it's easier to get a hold of, doglegs are expensive and disappear as fast as they show up, and it's not easy to find everything you need to put a truck shortshaft together for a 521/510 vehicle, there was a time that I could go to the wrecking yard and find a 1980 720 tranny and a 1985-6 720 shortshaft tranny, pull them both, take them apart there, put what I needed together and buy just the one tranny I needed, I have not seen a 80 and 85-6 720 in the same yard with trannys in them in a long time. I was at Uncle Laulau's today, he has a longshaft(pre 1980) in his 521, he said that the former owner said it was hard getting it in there, but there it was, I road around in it, it drove fine. I am happy that I don't have to work on that tranny/clutch combo, I would like to be around to see if it is possible to get it out and replace it without moving the engine.

oh ya? i didnt even think about doing a clutch on a custom fitted 5 speed....i mean, if the trans mount was built right, shouldnt it drop out of there....? i guess i havent seen his set up.....

The 520-21 chassie is built with a solid cross member that the tranny mount is bolted to, if you look at this photo real close, if you click on the photo it enlarges it, you will see that the tranny mount on the cross member, which is normally bolted on has been shortened and welded on to the cross member. You have to lift the tranny and move it backwards over this cross member before you can drop the front down, when you drop the front down the tail raises into the tunnel, this can be a problem, the tail is holding the front of the tranny up, but the front has to drop to get it out. There is a cover on the tunnel that is meant to be removed to address this issue, but all the trannys in 521s are short shafts, a longshaft is sticking 5 inches farther back, it seems like if it was easy to put long shaft 5 speeds into the 521, everyone would do it, so it must not be easy. Now you can modify the tranny mount so it still bolts on, therefore it can be removed, so that won't be in the way when trying to remove the tranny. You can also move the tranny back as far as possible and remove the clutch cover and flywheel, and that might make enough room to move it forward and down. As I said before, I am happy not to have to remove that setup, but would like to be around to see if it is possible.

DSCN0764.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from a Pick-N-Pull in Stockton, CA.

Went in looking for an oiler tube, found it and took it in for pretty damn cheap.

Ended up finding around 8 Z's, mainly 280zx, but there was a 72 240 stripped to basically nothing.

Most of the Z's were in good shape, saw one ZX with the fender emblems still in tact, and another 280Z with the dash emblem still alive and kicking.

No good door panels, seats, dash or anything but a lot of the gauges were still there.

Also saw an '80 B310 Wagon with a pretty good body, engine was absolutely trashed though.

Pick-N-Pull is on Clark Drive with $2 admission.

after the BBQ i stopped by the Ecology junk yard in Fontana.

One clean 1200 that was hit from behind

One Early 710 4 door (really fucked up)

One 620 (if only I had the right tools) CHROME!

Many 720 pick ups, ST, regular and king cabs

MANY 240 260 280Z and zx

MANY 240sx

MANY 80's 200sx (maybe I saw a vg or turbo model)

If I had some tools and money i would of gotten nis720 his ST door handles... O well.

Just got me some vent a shade for the 720. No tools to take that off.

How bad was the 710? I'm looking for a rear package shelf for mine!

after the BBQ i stopped by the Ecology junk yard in Fontana.

One clean 1200 that was hit from behind

One Early 710 4 door (really fucked up)

One 620 (if only I had the right tools) CHROME!

Many 720 pick ups, ST, regular and king cabs

MANY 240 260 280Z and zx

MANY 240sx

MANY 80's 200sx (maybe I saw a vg or turbo model)

If I had some tools and money i would of gotten nis720 his ST door handles... O well.

Just got me some vent a shade for the 720. No tools to take that off.

Foster pick&pull has 3 620s right now, one is fresh today put in the row, one had a really nice dash, one had a a L18/A87 head, and I beleave one was an automatic. I can't remember about where I seen this, a console with a 3 gauge cluster, it looked good, I think it was a 620??? The 330 geared 720 was still there also.