Canby 2009 Ratsun Award

ggzilla

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a100addict and I plan on doing up a trophy for it. My thoughts are that it will be for the $5 cars. I haven't been to any meetings lately, but last I heard, the plan was to charge an additional $5(because of paperwork and man power) for those that want a crack at the ratsun award. I want it to be free. My thought was that if we make a sweet(by that I mean rusty ass parts welded together) trophy just for the $5 section, maybe we could entice more guys to get their ratty datsuns on the road enough to bring them to the show. My only requirement would be that they drive through the gate under their own power(towing to Canby would be okay).....and have some sort of brakes. Either working brakes and a wheel chock for parking, or a working E-brake so they don't run over pedestrians. If the club insists on charginng, I'll talk with a100 and maybe we'll just do it ourselves.

I have it pretty much planned out in my head...just need to make it so we can entice more guys to make plans to bring their beaters. :)

....hhmmm...I wonder if we could get it set up so that all the "ratsuns" can be parked at the back closer to the bleachers.

Any thoughts on qualifications? I'm thinking no finished or polished paint...maybe require that there is visible rust??

Edited by mklotz70

I really like the idea of an award for the less able cars. Perhaps it should be called the Beater Award or the In Progress Award.

Ratsun doesn't mean a beater, but is more like a Datsun with more go than show. The quintessential Ratsun appears "unfinished", with just the bare essentials to be driven, but is in fact a capable Datsun. It is anti show-car, the opposite a "restored" vehicle or a trailer queen. It could be a trailer bean, but not a trailer queen.

Or have I misunderstood?

Ratsun doesn't mean a beater, but is more like a Datsun with more go than show. The quintessential Ratsun appears "unfinished", with just the bare essentials to be driven, but is in fact a capable Datsun. It is anti show-car, the opposite a "restored" vehicle or a trailer queen. It could be a trailer bean, but not a trailer queen.

Or have I misunderstood?

I like that definition. :D Means I might have a chance.

I really like the idea of an award for the less able cars. Perhaps it should be called the Beater Award or the In Progress Award.

Or have I misunderstood?

Ok, where's the middle ground then? I'm not show quality, but I'm not rusting through my floorboards(That I can see anyway :lol:). So...rat-show-un?

I vote "In Progress"

I think the concept that you are going for here is the "most disreputable Datsun", a moniker that I have applied to my pickup on more than one occasion. It's for the pure utilitarian rig: mismatched body panels, unfixed damage, hideously broken out bondo, stuff welded on to enhance cargo handling, etc. All the while still remaining street legal and roadworthy, but perhaps just barely.

This is how I see the definition of a true Ratsun rig:

A car or truck that has been altered mechanically and aesthically (spelling:blink:) But is not perfect. Definitely needs to have rust:D

Lowered is a plus

Rims & tires from a different rig

Primer paint or original fading paint

Homemade graphics such as Rising Sun Flag, scallops, flames or stripes

STICKERS! Especially Ratsun.net

LOUD exhaust:fu:

This is hard to put into words! I won the Best "Ratsun" Award at canby 08 and it is hard to explain. I am still not sure why I won. I do know that it was one of the great moments in my life! I was and am still new to this "cult/lifestyle" and it was a major motivator for me. To be a newb with a crappy 210, that I had poured my heart and soul into, and it got me an award?!...And the award was in the shape of a Vintage Cal-Custom hood scoop!

I got the car for next to nothing and put in minimal amounts of money. The car is a hodge podge of parts off of other cars. The side stripes are different on each side. The paint is Rustoleum Saftey Orange and the doorjams, engine bay, and roof are "thier" stock colors. The hood and fenders have been replaced twice and the doors once. I had to swap the seats out of the first parts car cause my car didnt come with reclining seats. I made the exhaust out of scrap pices from the exhause shops bin(I know the guy) 510 cut rear springs. Ford hood scoop, honda fender mirror. And alot of other little things that it one SWEET car! I get people asking about it All The Time.

I am not sure what the criteria was for the award when I won it. But I believe that it is something along these lines. When I think Ratsun I think of the Origonal hot rodders that made something out of nothing. Lots of parts off of lots of cars. But... and this is the trickey part, it should be a car that is not Form over Function. There are categories for those kind of cars.

These are my thoughts, and I tried to keep the sarcasm down. Thanks to those who make it thru these nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!

Edited by Pumpkn210
I got the car for next to nothing and put in minimal amounts of money. The car is a hodge podge of parts off of other cars. The side stripes are different on each side. The paint is Rustoleum Saftey Orange and the doorjams, engine bay, and roof are "thier" stock colors. The hood and fenders have been replaced twice and the doors once. I had to swap the seats out of the first parts car cause my car didnt come with reclining seats. I made the exhaust out of scrap pices from the exhause shops bin(I know the guy) 510 cut rear springs. Ford hood scoop, honda fender mirror.

^THAT sounds like the correct criteria. dont forget "... & i drive the shit out of it!"

i woulda given you the award too, if id been there :fu:

if fact, here's your trophy... rusty-rust-oleum.jpg

all go, no show!!!

primer nationals quote - "where prime is not a crime"

A car or truck that has been altered mechanically and aesthically (spelling:blink:) But is not perfect. Definitely needs to have rust:D

Lowered is a plus

lol then the 240 qualifies, lol it actually meets all of thos :lol:

I been thinking about it and the main reason that I was so moved by the award. It was the fact that it was a group of my ratsun peers that chose me and my car to recieve this prestegious award.

Maby we should have the people decide who gets the award. Hand out ballots to everyone and give all the cars at the show an envelope. Maby give the voters the chance to decide what ratsun looks like in its cold hard glory.

Dont know if I qualify to win again this year, but that will make no difference on how I build my car. And if, and only if I cant win it I would love the chance to be a part of the Ratsun Award.

hey pumpkin. as 1 of the people who picked you for the award. i can tell you about how you got picked. your enthusiasm for your car. and your willingness to modify with what you have. a rig that has shiny paint and perfect bodywork is low on my list of ratsun attributes. like wearing a hat with the logo on the side so you can wear it sideways and still read the logo. i would call that a sellout. so if your car has a perfect paint job and you scuff it up and rattle can it and punch a hole in your muffler. you just don't get it. there were several cars and trucks that were close to getting the award last year. but pumpkins attitude about his car made the decision easy. i am going to the meeting tonight at the hi hat on 99. i am going to push to make to ratsun award free. to any car with paid admission. i think the car that wins should have a ratsun sticker on it. so we don't give it to somebody who really does not get it and would be offended thanx dave

1st. Thank you a100!

I strongly agree with you on the fact that a true Ratsun is NOT a purpose built car! And should absolutely be a car that is driven ALOT. Dirty engine bay is a must! What time is the meeting and where is it on 99? If I cant make it tonight I would love to be more involved!

i REALLY want my 620 to be ready for canby this year. i wanted to go last year but she wasn't driveable. hell it wont be clean, or de-rust-ified, or even cool lookin. well maybe a set of wheels but thats bout it. hell maybe everything will WORK by then.

Hahah!! I meet this requirement.

no muffler :( it fell off before i bought it, pipes all rusty. floorboards rusted, swiss cheese in spots, roof had some bondo on it, missing the datsun logo from the grille, its lowered a little bit, different rims, door sags when i open it. weather stripping leaks, when i roll the windows down it makes this real loud sound, and on the driver side it makes a loud pop half way down. My battery tray is rusted thru, and thru the inside fender even. hmm what else, when i put my truck 5th my reverse lights come on.... heater only works on high, winshield wipers high/low speed are backwards somehow lol i could go on for DAYS...

Lowered is a plus

I just got home from the D N W meeting. the ratsun award will be open to any car or truck. you must have a Ratsun sticker on your car. I don't know who is doing those but if somebody could make them available that would be great.there will be no extra charge for this award. mike is thinking that all the ratsun cars could park over by the corral just off the rodeo roadway. that is the paved road that turns to the left.it would be good to know how many people will be coming the the event? also there will be a meeting at the Hi-Hat resturaunt wednesday the 28th at 7 pm we will be talking about committees and people to help. you don't have to be a member to help at the show. if enough people helped for one hour it could be alot more fun for the people who always volunteer and can't enjoy the show.the hi hat is on hwy 99 just north of 217. across the street from fred meyers. if you are going to come let me know so i make sure we have enough tables. if you have'nt been happy about how the show is run. now is the time to get involved and do something about it.