Let's see some machine work

Comic book?  I must be old or one of my two brain cells is asleep.  Crossover?  Like in the movies where the two guys switch?

You want to be a short, old, fat guy?  Sure...I'll trade you :)

If you want to visit.....I'm cool with that too :)

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'm stuck being a short, fat guy.......crap! lol

Let me know when you're going to be up here.  It's small and there's not much to look at, but I enjoy other guy's shops, regardless of size/shape.  Maybe I'll have the mill running when you come up. :)

That is a serious amount of adjustment screws! The gibs on most of our machines are just wedge shaped and threaded in each end to push it tight or loose. Lookin good Mr. Klotz!

Edit: all spelling errors fixed

They're straight gibs instead of tapered gibs.  I'd much prefer linear ways :)

Thanks!!

Plunge milling. Nice way to overcome lack of torque on the vf2. Good stuff. I love cnc :)

I have to get our newest 5axis doing full simultaneous 5axis tomorrow. Buying options for a used machine is a bitch!

Lack of torque on the spindle? 

Yes. Haas machines and most entry level VMC's have pretty low torque at lower rpm's so doing hard metals can be a challenge. Typically for steel hog outs you would use like an AJX type high feed Cutter. This would take a shallow DOC (Axial Depth of cut) and a High RDOC (Radial Depth of Cut) at a high chip load do to what's called "Chip Thinning". So let's say you would use a 3" cutter (Indexable body) at 350SFM (445RPM), 0.050" DOC, 2.25" RDOC (75% Step Over) and 0.025" FPT (Feed Per Tooth, Appx 50IPM Depending on how many inserts). This would stall out most Haas Machines pretty quick like. This scenario would result in 6.3 Cubic Inches Per Minute of Material Removal. 

Now on a lower torque spindle you would normally use like a 0.625" Indexable Endmill running 500SFM, 0.500" DOC, 0.100" RDOC, 0.015"FPT. That's 3056RPM which puts you up in the torque range of the spindle and allows you to go faster. This scenario would result in 4.6 Cubic Inches Per Minute of Material Removal.

What he's doing in the video is call "Plunge Milling" which is another great method of removing material when you have the right application. You're basically drilling with a shallow step over but the rigidity of the machine is less important.