Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a picture of it right before I picked it up. The bitch is about 300lb with no tailstock, no chuck and no legs.

I got a small 3 jaw, 7 inch independent 4 jaw, the motor/pulley assembly, tailstock and the legs. The legs alone are worth $300.

I have had a small chinese machine before but nothing somewhat professional. This is my first nice lathe with a real quick change and options.

south%20bend%20001_zpshqpvaoje.jpg

• Like 1

Captaingamez, grizzly.com handles south bend parts and services. There should be a model number on the head stock and a serial number on the way bed at the tail stick end, they can look up any original documentation they have on you're actual machine.

That's the first system I learned when I was 17.

Had to run that and fly cut material on a Bridgeport knee mill next to it. Then after 4 months move to the Supermax open bed CNC. The boss was dumbfounded at how quick I grasped the G & M code system. Gave that young teen a huge pay increase lol.

Plus I was dating his daughter :D

That's the first system I learned when I was 17.

Had to run that and fly cut material on a Bridgeport knee mill next to it. Then after 4 months move to the Supermax open bed CNC. The boss was dumbfounded at how quick I grasped the G & M code system. Gave that young teen a huge pay increase lol.

Plus I was dating his daughter :D

Are you working right now/ can you get work for this machine?

• Like 1

I'm the one and only CNC guy at Kimwood corp. in Cottage Grove.

We are kinda low on the work volume ATM.

As is everyone, from what I've been seeing, machines are pretty cool, unless they're sitting there, and not getting any work...

• Like 1

My shop is currently pushing better sales than last year. And we have a ton of new parts in the pre production phase.

I think it was july or august we added a second Mori NL1500SY (because the first one was constantly the most stacked machine in the shop).

We have 4 horizontals (2 with 6 pallet pools), 3 verticals, and 9 lathes of which 4 have sub spindles.

And the best part. My boss allows us to run our own parts after hours and on weekends. I am planning a few things...

• Like 3

Yep, one electric motor, a shaft running down the shop with a belt going to each machine. The only difference being that that the variable belt system is usually vertical so its easier to change speeds, even on the converted ones like that.

• Like 1

That is a great deal. Looks to be pre 1940, not necessarily converted, they actually came that way alot of times with the motor.  Lathes after the 1920s were sold with the option of the horizontal drive or vertical drive unit, or none so you could use your then antiquated overhead ceiling drive from a steam engine, hit and miss engine, or diesel electric.

Thats an awesome price for a 13" south bend, you can do some good sized work on that thing.

• Like 1