Let's see some machine work

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish taking pictures of the garbage I work on wasn't a federal offense or I could show you guys some of the big stuff. Its funny really, one of the parts I make for the military is itar controlled yet I've seen it on the discovery channel but if I have a picture of it I'm done.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it still considered 4 axis  if it's not simultaneous?  Since your rotary doesn't do simultaneous, it's like having a really convenient 2nd setup?  Do you have to switch work offsets once the rotary is repositioned?  The limitation is do to the machine control's abilities? 

If it was a round tube you were working on, you could just use the rotary as the Y axis and do it simultaneously.......correct? 

Is it still considered 4 axis  if it's not simultaneous?  Since your rotary doesn't do simultaneous, it's like having a really convenient 2nd setup?  Do you have to switch work offsets once the rotary is repositioned?  The limitation is do to the machine control's abilities? 

If it was a round tube you were working on, you could just use the rotary as the Y axis and do it simultaneously.......correct? 

With the machines we have it retains the offsets when the b axis rotates to its desired angle. But we also set out z offsets from the center of the b axis. Its all in how you program it.

Edit: we have hbms*

Okay.....so it will reposition and keep going without any manual intervention.  Still beats the heck out of having to mount to another fixture! :)

When programming in multiaxis (4+) situations, it is always easier to program from a central point. Meaning, the intersecting point of all axis datums.

For example, we program a setup on a 4th axis tombstone where there is only one offset, that offset is the central point of the rotary axis, the central point of the z axis and  the central point of the x and y axis. Programming this way allows us to simultaniously machine 4 different parts at the same time, all with multiple compound angles that can not be done in less than 3 operations on a 3 axis. Or for example a set of parts that requires two pieces and each needs an op1 and op2, meaning 4 setups would normally be required to make them. This way, I set the machine up one time, on one offset, and it makes all 4 parts all day long until we have enough. It stops every 2 hours to allow us to remove complete parts, rotate ops1 to ops2, and put in new raw stock.

All this also has to be programmed with backlash, meaning that before going to any rotary position point, the rotary axis stops, or goes to -30* prior to that position in the offset. This ensures that it goes to exact position, as opposed to just directly going to that position from any direction.

With the machines we have it retains the offsets when the b axis rotates to its desired angle. But we also set out z offsets from the center of the b axis. Its all in how you program it.

Edit: we have hbms*

Mike I use solid model representations in the programming stage too so I can see if any crashing may occur during part rotation. All off of one CPL.

• Like 1