Mecum Auction Datsuns

Did anyone see the Mecum Auction yesterday? They had a handful of Datsun"Z" cars, 77 to 83 with under 40  original miles on them. One had only 15 miles on it. The announcers were amazed at these as they had never seen so many low mileage "Z" cars at one time up for sale.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I'd be amazed too.... that anyone would believe under 40 original miles.

I saw a YouTube video about a Datsun dealer that held on to some brand new cars and kept them in his showroom. Yes there were a few with less than 40 miles on them. These were always kept indoors and rarely started or moved. As new as an old car could be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

Speedometer roll over?

Or a new old stock one so it honestly was reading original miles. Rocking horse shit..... and my glass is always half empty.

A pox on these guys and Barrett Jackson for driving the prices out of reach and making classic cars attractive as an investment that appreciates as long as these guys are around. At least Jay Leno works on them, restores them and drives them around and most are a hell of a lot rarer and more interesting than this thing. That zx will never be driven and enjoyed. (well, enjoyed as much as an automatic can be) It will live under a glass showcase till the bottom falls out of the market. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish those guys would just go away,& give us our hobby back,

with cars/trucks that we all could afford to buy.

I was kicking around the idea of buying something interesting as

a daily driver,but everything seems to be expensive (for what it is).  

• Like 1

Datsun legend is the genius of modern Japanese car culture, and they've become desirable to a new audience. With anything desirable, the average market price goes up because of supply and demand. The collector market price is a world unto itself.

You'd be lucky to get $35K for a fully restored 81' ZX-T. A unicorn vin #1 with 35 miles on the odometer makes people with OCD "Obnoxious Collector Disorder" pop a wallet boner, and at that point, value has no meaning. For instance, these F'n loonies paid $159,500.00 for an 81' Firebird, $213K for an 81' Mustang, and $1.3 mil for an 81' CJ7 that was covered in Gas Monkey shit. Rich people games, because stupidity has no boundaries.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's a ponzi investment pyramid. > 40 miles on the clock... bullshit. Why didn't they drive it on stage? Oh it would add to the mileage?? so does pushing it.

They never drive the cars onto the stage. Why is it so hard to believe the milage on those cars ? Look at the unrestored car, you think the odometer has rolled over ? LOL. Let me guess, disconnected speedo cable after it was sold and driven hard ? 

• Haha 1

It's harder to believe that someone shelled out $8-10K for a car then stored it for 45 years just to confound us today than to accept that it's just a car in really good shape that was restored? Was  a provenance mentioned? Anything to back up this absurd claim?

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's harder to believe that someone shelled out $8-10K for a car then stored it for 45 years just to confound us today than to accept that it's just a car in really good shape that was restored? Was  a provenance mentioned? Anything to back up this absurd claim?

When introduced in 81' the ZX turbo was a significant Japanese sports car. I agree that it's senseless to spend that kind of money on a car you'll never drive, but I understand why vin #1 of this model, along with complete documentation of ownership is what makes this Z valuable. Such is the world of obnoxiously rich car collectors. Sad, because for most it's nothing but a competition of bragging rites. Some collections are about preserving their history. It's a rare few who drive them, because actually enjoying them is stupid expensive. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

There's nothing absurd about it. Did you even watch the video ? Don't hate on a valuable classic just because you don't have one and couldn't afford it. I'm thrilled the 510 I paid 2,200 bucks for is worth probably 20K.

• Like 1

Actually I did watch the Barrett Jackson clone hype video. $150,000 for something that was what? $8k new is the definition of absurd. Take a good look, you'll never see this again till it's rolled out and resold. I hate on it because it's no longer a car, it's a commodity.

• Like 2