New to Ratsun

bye_pablo

Hey y’all I’m brand new to the car world and after long thought decided I want to own a Datsun 510. My dad has a Datsun 210 in his late twenties and it was stolen when my uncle left it running in the driveway while he was talking to a family member on the porch. Thief was never caught and car was never found.

I plan on saving up about $5k and selling my 2018 Harley Davidson Iron 883 once I have the cash. Giving me about $10k to $11k to get the Datsun. 

Are there any resources I should read up on to ready my knowledge on buying a project or decent condition car when I’m ready? 

• Like 4
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi welcome.. your best bet is to just read peoples project threads on here, search any question you have in google followed by the word “ratsun” and chances are someone has asked whatever question you have multiple times and you’ll find your answer. People are very helpful on here if you can’t search for the answer to your question someone knows the answer. 

• Like 3

sick620 is right. Research is the best investment you can make in your project. Like any used car, there's more value in a rust free example than one with lots of sparkles on it.  There're incredibly knowledgeable people on here, but there's a ton of garbage info on here too, so use discretion and considering the source. Go looking to justify a bad choice and you'll always find some fool who knows absolutely nothing telling you what you want to hear. For the fundamentals, there are archives of a publication called Dime Quarterly. Add that to your search because it's packed with very accurate and detailed information. 

Good luck and happy hunting.

Edited by paradime
7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The one piece of advice I will give to any person looking for a classic - buy one with a good body, or at least without any rust.

Finding that in a 510 may be difficult these days.

Ha.........without any rust! 😆

Welcome bye_pablo & hope you can achieve your dream with a 510!  Buy the best car you can afford & YES, one with the least amount of rust (often hidden) you can find, cuz the cost of good body work & paint is always increasing substantially!  Find somebody in your regional area ie Stoffregen (posted above), that can perhaps help you with a PRE-purchase inspection of a car.............maybe somebody like him can help you FIND a car!

Are you looking for a 2dr a 4dr or a Wagon?  The USA spec 2dr & 4dr are basically the same car, the 2dr with longer doors, the 4dr with shorter front doors to accommodate the rear doors.  Both have the same wheelbase, same interior, same suspension.........IRS in the rear.  You being in CA, you need to be aware that all of the 510's built in Mexico (yup, BUILT there!) were 4dr, had a smaller engine & had a solid rear axle with leaf springs, like all of the Wagons.  A Mexican built 510 4dr should be considerably cheaper to buy, if you are not partial to the USA spec IRS in the rear!  Not all sellers "announce" that the car they are selling is a Mexican built 4dr, with the solid axle rear.............so beware!

As datzenmike suggested, the510realm is another GREAT source for info on the 510!

• Like 1

This intro showed up yesterday, but the time stamp shows it's from Wed, maybe last week? Looks like there was a lag in getting this guy on board and his first post uploaded. I'll keep bumping it along and hopefully he'll show up again.

• Like 1

IIRC yesterday was the first time I saw this intro. It's possible it was posted last Wed but a flood of other posts pushed it down and off the first page of new posts basically burying it. (ranmans 70 posts of T&A maybe???)

Usually when I approve a new member I almost always reply so it gets TTT. I see that sick620 replied first and me an hour and a half later. Maybe ]2eDeYe found it and approved it.

High Quality Forrest Gump steps in dog poop Blank Meme Template

It happens

I noticed that too.

15 hours ago, paradime said:

This intro showed up yesterday, but the time stamp shows it's from Wed, maybe last week? Looks like there was a lag in getting this guy on board and his first post uploaded. I'll keep bumping it along and hopefully he'll show up again.

On 11/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, datzenmike said:

IIRC yesterday was the first time I saw this intro. It's possible it was posted last Wed but a flood of other posts pushed it down and off the first page of new posts basically burying it. (ranmans 70 posts of T&A maybe???)

Usually when I approve a new member I almost always reply so it gets TTT. I see that sick620 replied first and me an hour and a half later. Maybe ]2eDeYe found it and approved it.

High Quality Forrest Gump steps in dog poop Blank Meme Template

It happens

I usually reply to new member posts I approve, can't say I always do though. Getting old, hard to remember lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted on the 2nd. Last checked in Sunday the 6th

I don't know when he was approved but no replies till Monday the 7th.  It's only the 10th, 4 days later, so he may still come back for a look while waiting for Delco parts to show up.

On 11/2/2022 at 7:23 PM, bye_pablo said:

Hey y’all I’m brand new to the car world and after long thought decided I want to own a Datsun 510. My dad has a Datsun 210 in his late twenties and it was stolen when my uncle left it running in the driveway while he was talking to a family member on the porch. Thief was never caught and car was never found.

I plan on saving up about $5k and selling my 2018 Harley Davidson Iron 883 once I have the cash. Giving me about $10k to $11k to get the Datsun. 

Are there any resources I should read up on to ready my knowledge on buying a project or decent condition car when I’m ready? 

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, Duncan said:

Hi guys!  I'm new here.  How do I put a hemi in a Datsun 1200?

Hatchback or sedan?  As long as you can pick it up, it might fit in the hatch, but could be hard to get out.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, iceman510 said:

Hatchback or sedan?  As long as you can pick it up, it might fit in the hatch, but could be hard to get out.  

1200's = no hatchback (unless a wagon from down under (?))

Another option is a sawzall.

Wait, Missus Kelmo has a Dodge with a Hemi....I see trouble ahead.

all of the above statements should be read in sarcasm font.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, KELMO said:

1200's = no hatchback (unless a wagon from down under (?))

all of the above statements should be read in sarcasm font.

Ahhh, right.  I forgot the fastback cars still had a trunk.  My bad.  Sawzall it is.