280ZX Strut inserts

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are simply cruising in the 510, buy a good quality insert ie KYB, Monroe etc.  If you drive "spirited" and/or some track day events, spend more mulla on a higher quality insert ie Koni, Bilstein etc.  If really serious, buy an adjustable insert!

If you have never had the struts apart they may still have the original oil bath dampers in them. These can be 'renewed' and firmed up by replacing the old thin hydraulic oil with something thicker for about $15.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. Other than Rockauto I am not sure where to look for these. Rockauto only has KYB Excel-G's. Im sure those are probably fine I mostly drive around town with the occasional spirited back roads driving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, fiveoneO said:

I did just hear that Koni is now selling inserts for the 280zx. You may want to look into those.

I would do these if possible.

I have the old orange Koni adjustable(retraction) going down is nothing but pull up is Hard to soft depends on setting. I got these cheap years ago.

If your just a normal driver now I would as find soem cheap gas shocks.  those yell konis are alot.$$$$

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
On 6/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, datzenmike said:

how are they adjusted? Do you have to remove to get at them?

Yes. push the shock all the way down then you can fell it engage then do a 1/4 turn then pull up on the strut. youl can fell the reisistance.  most like a slip ring with holes around it. most likely making the holes smaller for the oil to pass thru  Orange D shocks. Stoffregen would know more on these