280ZX Strut inserts

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are simply cruising in the 510, buy a good quality insert ie KYB, Monroe etc.  If you drive "spirited" and/or some track day events, spend more mulla on a higher quality insert ie Koni, Bilstein etc.  If really serious, buy an adjustable insert!

If you have never had the struts apart they may still have the original oil bath dampers in them. These can be 'renewed' and firmed up by replacing the old thin hydraulic oil with something thicker for about $15.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys. Other than Rockauto I am not sure where to look for these. Rockauto only has KYB Excel-G's. Im sure those are probably fine I mostly drive around town with the occasional spirited back roads driving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, fiveoneO said:

I did just hear that Koni is now selling inserts for the 280zx. You may want to look into those.

I would do these if possible.

I have the old orange Koni adjustable(retraction) going down is nothing but pull up is Hard to soft depends on setting. I got these cheap years ago.

If your just a normal driver now I would as find soem cheap gas shocks.  those yell konis are alot.$$$$

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
On 6/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, datzenmike said:

how are they adjusted? Do you have to remove to get at them?

Yes. push the shock all the way down then you can fell it engage then do a 1/4 turn then pull up on the strut. youl can fell the reisistance.  most like a slip ring with holes around it. most likely making the holes smaller for the oil to pass thru  Orange D shocks. Stoffregen would know more on these

• 2 weeks later...

Some struts have adjustment knobs on the top (stem) of the shock. The adjuster tightens or loosens a nut which holds a stack of shims. The shims allow bypass of fluid. Looser nut = less resistance.

That's an oversimplified version, and there are other types of shocks with spring loaded valves instead of stacked shims. The adjuster on that type adjusts tension on the bypass spring.

• 4 weeks later...

Gezus the price.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:34 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Some struts have adjustment knobs on the top (stem) of the shock. The adjuster tightens or loosens a nut which holds a stack of shims. The shims allow bypass of fluid. Looser nut = less resistance.

That's an oversimplified version, and there are other types of shocks with spring loaded valves instead of stacked shims. The adjuster on that type adjusts tension on the bypass spring.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, datzenmike said:

Hey, how are they adjusted? Do you have to remove to get at them?

• 6 months later...
On 6/20/2022 at 12:02 AM, fiveoneO said:

I too prefer the Tokico's over the KYB's. I did just hear that Koni is now selling inserts for the 280zx. You may want to look into those.

Good to hear Tokico is also recommended here. We will do the strut and suspension on my friend's incoming 280zx project after installing the new tires from 4Wheelonline this week.

Just went through this. T3 weld on coilovers. Also bought the KYB inserts they listed but they did not fit in the strut housing. I think they are going to take their inserts back. The remedy was ordering a set of KYB inserts from Rock Auto. KYB Excel-G (#365013) for about $35.00 each. Used '79 280ZX in the part search as the housings have 5430X-P6500 stamped in them.

The little white Koni knob in the picture is the adjuster. Easy to use up front, not so much in the back.

I found that some early Z struts were skinnier than later ones and maybe that's a problem with ZX struts, I dunno.

Since ZX struts are about the same length as early 510 struts maybe you could back convert and just play with hydraulic oil viscosities as we used to do before we could get fancy Konis and such.

Dennis 

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

How did they not fit? Too big? Or too short. It's not uncommon to have a spacer in the housing to make shorter struts fit.

The O.D. of the new insert was about 1mm larger than what came out, and it was considerably shorter.

yVxQPdC.jpg

The ZX housings have a "sleeve" inside that I think is the problem. The # stamped is 54302-P6500 which applies up to 08/81.

• Like 1

#54302-P6500 is the right side.

The red one will bounce around in the strut tube. Needs shims so the top is just under the gland nut when tightened.

Diameter doesn't matter just has to fit the tube.

How do they compare when both compressed?????