Howdy, here's my new to me '72 521

the_10mm

Hey everyone! I've been creepin' around here even before I picked up this lil' beauty. Figured I'd introduce myself.

Picked up the truck a few weeks ago and it looks mostly stock. A few mickey mouse work arounds to sort through but that's the fun part right? 

Plans are to clean up the exterior and do what I can to keep the patina. The interior was trashed so I gutted it. It starts and runs but the water pump dosen't seem to be pumping water <thermostat has been removed>. I'm on the fence about a KA swap, but i'm in no rush on that. I would like to get a front disk set up and lowered a little. 

Wish me luck.

Thanks! 

20220422_133603.jpg

20220422_133624.jpg

20220422_133653.jpg

20220422_133801.jpg

20220422_133812.jpg

20220422_133842.jpg

20220422_133904.jpg

20220422_133939.jpg

20220422_134035.jpg

20220422_134224.jpg

20220422_134245.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty cool.

Do you have title showing the number on the black plates? Have you tried to register it? If not, take the plates off and hide them so they can't take them from you at registration time. If the vehicle is out of the DMV system they may force you to get new plates, but it it possible to re-register the truck with the black plates at a later date. I went through the process and it took some doing.

So yeah, if the truck is not titled and is out of the system, do not surrender the black plates.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Pretty cool.

Do you have title showing the number on the black plates? Have you tried to register it? If not, take the plates off and hide them so they can't take them from you at registration time. If the vehicle is out of the DMV system they may force you to get new plates, but it it possible to re-register the truck with the black plates at a later date. I went through the process and it took some doing.

So yeah, if the truck is not titled and is out of the system, do not surrender the black plates.

I do have the title showing the plate number. Part of the reason I went with this truck is because it has the original plates. I'm going to try and hold on to them because it is out of the system. Will I need to make custom plates using the old plate numbers? Is this possible?

• Like 2
21 hours ago, the_10mm said:

I do have the title showing the plate number. Part of the reason I went with this truck is because it has the original plates. I'm going to try and hold on to them because it is out of the system. Will I need to make custom plates using the old plate numbers? Is this possible?

No, you won't need custom plates. The process is called YOM, or year of manufacture. Basically, you fill out the proper paperwork and you have to send the plates in to DMV to have them "verified". Apparently a lot of people try to scam the system so they need to see the plates and make sure they are legit. You also need to supply them with a sticker representing the year the car/truck was first sold. So if the truck is a 1965, you need an original 1965 sticker. If you don't have one, you can buy one here - https://www.davesclp.com/

The process takes a few months and they can deny your plates, but that's not common.

To make things much easier, I use a registration service for these things. Ken Leek in the south bay area knows what paperwork to fill out and how to push it through. It may be worth at least a call to him to figure out the process. He charges a couple hundred bucks for his time. Which to me, is worth every penny.

Peninsula Registration Services
[650] 270-6178 | ken@peninsulareg.com

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
Just now, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't like them either, but some guys love them.

In my mind it goes door mirror > tow mirrors >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fender mirrors.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't like them either, but some guys love them.

My 521 came with them but never liked them. The block vision too much to justify unless you have z cap in the way.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Like anything,  they are desirable if it's what you want.... threw mine away 20 years ago....

Got mine sitting in a box, wonder if they worth anything at all?  

Welcome!  Looks like a solid starting point!  This is my 72 flatbed!  I have a pair of 8in wide chrome reverse steelies for the rear..........I want duallies, but have not been able to find.  Black 720 in garage door (background) donated its L20B, 5speed & rear axle for the 521.  Sorry, not any spare parts for the 521 specific at this point, but I'm always looking too!

IMG_1358.JPG

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Put on eBay for $1. You'd be surprised

Anyway to tell if they are OEM?  They do have some rust on them which for whatever reason leads me to believe they aren't and just some Chinese shiat.  

• Like 1

Dunno hence why I asked.  

No stamping on them but in good condition none the less minus a little rust on the top brackets/  Ebay fees have gotten outrageous as of late and I try not to use them but sometimes the only place you are guaranteed a good price for some of this shiat. 

52054571036_38b77c8281_b.jpg

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Are any oem? They're probably all dealer option. I've seen some with the Datsun/Nissan emblem embossed on the backs

They were all dealer installed or installed in the aftermarket, but Datsun DID have them listed in the accessory catalog with a Datsun part #.  I have an NOS kit for my 521........there was a Datsun part # on the box, but NO MARKINGS referencing Datsun on the actual mirror.  There were multiple manufacturers, with different styles, but similar with the large rectangular mirror!

Edited by yenpit