Honda K24 swap a Datsun 510

Trophy24

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sooo lets use the Spec clutch disc to check for spline engagement. Jeff milled the SR20 disc down to the right diameter and we put it all together with grease on the splines to see how far they went in. As things sit we have 2 to 3mm of engagement on the input shaft splines. We were hoping for more from the custom clutch that’s for sure. We then milled the rivets off the disc to check out the spacers for the center hub. Looks like the hole diameters and spacing are the same here

85F5A42A-B859-43C7-AD4F-2D2E38A7EF43.jpeg

35090969-78B4-4288-8251-1E539DC373B0.jpeg

280070F7-E09C-4B28-A777-5EFF92ADB34F.jpeg

• Like 2

We are thinking about making our own hub spacer to move the splines further. The clutch guy claims he can work with a thicker spacer so we will see. Leaving names out of this thread deliberately at this point. 

Good news!!!

Version 2 of the transmission adapter fit very well. It snapped into place on the alignment dowels with a very satisfying click!

C41EAC61-CEE0-429F-AD4A-3D0F4DCD2DB8.jpeg

645C5166-0109-4273-A451-1C34D8EB11B4.jpeg

22D085CE-8314-46BF-BBBE-3F69E09C710D.jpeg

• Like 2

This is pretty cool! I’m interested in this swap. Let’s face it, sr and ka’s are going for crazy money. 

not that all these fancy custom parts are going to be cheap either I guess. Anyway looking forward to your progress. 

• Like 2

Pricing it out even with a CD009 6-speed and adapter it is a pretty decently priced swap. 

Ya KA's and SR's are getting hard to find and expensive....

Gone are the days of a running, shifting engine and trans combo for $500.00 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

IF I could find both engine and transmission at a pull it myself junkyard, this swap, custom parts included, might still come in at a price my cheap ass would even pay.  But even if I am to cheap to play in your pond, I am super happy that you guys are doing this work.  I love to see enthusiasts filling these gaps in the market.  I think your parts have the potential for a good sized market, even beyond the Datsun world.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Maybe a dumb question, but since you already have a 71c is gutted down to the case, could you not mill the mating surface down?  .2000" or .2500" or whatever? Idk how much meat you can realistically take off. Even a small cut might help out even if it doesnt solve the problem entirely.

Also, still really anxious to see how well this combo fits in a 510 tunnel.  Seems like a lot of the other transmission options for K engines require a lot of tunnel hacking, sometimes with less than optimal interior results (I know this will be a racer but some I really like having a heater 😅 )

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are back working on the honda swap.  Turns out with some crossmember modification we can keep the balance shafts which is good.  Prototype motor mounts are in.  Exhaust is mocked up and the intake is on.  

gJSL68f.jpeg

• Like 7

Pick and Pull had a 1/2 off sale this weekend so me and Paul went and picked up some K parts.  Surprisingly They only had 1 up north at the yard near Pauls place but a bunch at the local to me yard so Monday I went with Datwifey. Grabbed some extra valve covers to modify for hood clearance.  I think if we moved the engine back more the issue wouldn't be as bad but in the race car it has to stay where it is.  We don't want to change the trans mount or DL.  The swap me and Paul do we are going to swap to the 2.0L pump and go way back!  Hopefully this weekend I can get the valve covers welded, oil pan and exhaust manifold.  

oqKJyuL.jpeg

yRhANtE.jpeg

• Like 1

Got one valve cover done.  Paul was cutting filler plates and I was laying down some decent beads.  I'm not a robot tig welder like Rob510 but hopefully it will keep the oil in the top end.  

rCTrsKK.jpeg

All cleaned up!

OqZPskA.jpeg

tacked together

6utxBhD.jpeg

first one done. 

6vKOTS4.jpeg

• Like 1

We have been able to mock this up in the test car while keeping Swamp Thing track ready. Pretty handy to have an extra 510 laying around for this process. Having the front 1/2 of a hood to lay down and check for clearance showed us where this set up contacted the valve cover. We determined how much we could safely remove and badda bing (as Jeff likes to say)! I water leak tested the modified cover yesterday at work. No leaks!

A little before and after shot. Looks great to me as we are not building cars for SEMA.

IMG_2912.jpg.17ddae40b2c1d703de3a291741fcb7e6.jpg

• Like 1

Yes hood clearance. I guess I left that out LOL.

We gained a lot of space by notching the (hood) bracing in the mock up car. We just painted Swamp Thing so welding a patch into the (hood) brace is not an option. Also the car I want to use this swap for has been painted so no welding the (hood) bracing there either. We hope the mock up car (hood) is not too damaged to accurately show us how much space we have.

See what I did there? 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Although we have a trans adapter kit in the racecar I still want to try my own.  I want to run a D21 71C because last weekend at pick and pull there was 5 2wd 5 speeds there.  So I'm going to space the clutch splines make a thin steel trans adapter and machine the bell WAY down.  I printed the spacers just to check clearances.

XSZI7jT.jpeg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Icehouse said:

Although we have a trans adapter kit in the racecar I still want to try my own.  I want to run a D21 71C because last weekend at pick and pull there was 5 2wd 5 speeds there.  

Did you get all 5?

We currently have two D21 transmissions. At the yard there was one just hanging by the transmission mount. everything else was removed from the front side. A few bolts and it was ours! We were excited until we looked at the odometer on the truck. almost 400K miles! We took a break from the sun and debated it for a few minutes. Certainly not for the race car. Don't want to get there and have it let go during the race. Since there were so many there we passed on that one. Too risky even during the 1/2 off sale 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

K swap update!!!  We are looking into the toyota R155 transmission.  Strong, cheapish, 5 speed which it turns out I like more then a 6 speed.  It's a top loader and the bell unbolts.  Anyways.  we got the clutch for it, RX8 pressure plate and a 240sx disk.  Not sure if we mentioned it earlier but we bought an adapter kit.   Also got the intake modified and the exhaust manifold.  The exhaust is off a S2K with a K24 flange welded on.  Then fattened on the belt sander at work. Lastly we bought some chinese stainless exhaust pipe.  A ton with V-bands and a flexy guy in 3" for 225 shipped.  The amount of stress testing our car does I didn't want to invest in the super expensive SS.  Getting closer.

Xw5I08C.jpeg

ct8QCrn.jpeg

xSI30aW.jpeg

QoElMxO.jpeg

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Jeff I had a Spec Clutch!!!!

Its left me stranded.I never get another one

One of Dillon's friends ran a Spec clutch in his drift car since 2008.  He said the first 2 lasted over 2 years.  Now he doesn't even get a year and his first driftcar had a almost 400whp 2JZ now he just runs a 300hp SR.   We bought a Exedy for the racecar.  I've always had good luck with them.