Honda K24 swap a Datsun 510

Trophy24

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While the adapter is in progress, there are many other things to solve. What about the flywheel? The engine came out of an automatic transmission car. We found one on Amazon for $80. No prime shipping though. What do you do when you want it NOW? Facebook was checked and bingo! Local Honda guy upgraded his ride and was selling his old parts

027DB62B-2B03-4B3D-B5DC-1E4EF8D3D799.jpeg

• Like 1

Turns out the input shaft is not long enough. We are working on a solution for that. The easy expensive way is to buy the custom flywheel that spaces the clutch surface out to make up for the adapter. Nice and neat, but again expensive. 

Any ideas on a spacer?

To install a manual behind an LS motor, you need a special pilot bushing adapter, which basically spaces the pilot bushing out about 3/8 of an inch.

Obviously, you could machine a spacer for the flywheel that also held the pilot bushing. How much too short? If you're talking an inch or more, maybe a spacer isn't such a great idea. You have to account for a starter too and a spacer that thick would require massive relocation of the starter.

We thought about that but have to consider attaching to the engine block too. Our brainstorming led to the differences in the clutch discs. The Honda clutch in the foreground has splines for the input shaft that are much closer to the engine. Compare to the SR20 set up in the background. This reminded me of clutches I have replaced in the past where the splines stuck out really far

39818839-6DC8-4578-B00F-DAC2A2725CB0.jpeg

• Like 2

While the transmission problem is being sorted out I put the oil pan in the parts washer at work. Strange how the Honda-bond sealer became really brittle in the inside of the oil pan. Came off by hand in chunks. The outside remained flexible. The Toyota product I use at work does not do this. 

all cleaned up and ready to be cut up for mock assembly 

FA48B375-7A1E-4693-85C7-B711B9705E24.jpeg

• Like 2
On 11/15/2021 at 10:10 PM, Trophy24 said:

We thought about that but have to consider attaching to the engine block too. Our brainstorming led to the differences in the clutch discs. The Honda clutch in the foreground has splines for the input shaft that are much closer to the engine. Compare to the SR20 set up in the background. This reminded me of clutches I have replaced in the past where the splines stuck out really far

Use a Nissan disc to help take up some of the distance. I'm sure you can find one with a similar diameter to work with the Honda flywheel.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:29 PM, Trophy24 said:

While the transmission problem is being sorted out I put the oil pan in the parts washer at work. Strange how the Honda-bond sealer became really brittle in the inside of the oil pan. Came off by hand in chunks. The outside remained flexible. The Toyota product I use at work does not do this. 

all cleaned up and ready to be cut up for mock assembly 

If I recall correctly, the Toyota sealant is a semi hardening Three-bond product (1215?). I thought the Honda sealer was similar, but I guess not.

The Toyota sealer is FIPG (fix in place gasket). It is what I’m used to and works very well. This was my first Honda bond experience so I was paying close attention to it out of interest. I have heard good things about it from others. Not sure if it is any better or worse. 

Our measurements for transmission interfacing were verified before proceeding to the next steps. We were a little tired the first time. Math late at night can be risky business lol. 

the adapter plate is rumored to be on the 3D printer soon so we can mock things up in real life. 

A custom clutch disk is also in the works. In theory it will help solve the input shaft depth problem at a reasonable cost!  Nissan splines offset towards the transmission. Honda diameter disc and pressure plate. I am looking forward to sharing success on this one 👍

here are some examples of what we are trying to solve. Thanks Carter!

stock 

4DC0591F-5AA3-4DBF-A41F-1395D912DE00.jpeg

• Like 1
  • datzenmike changed the title to Honda K24 swap a Datsun 510
  • 3 weeks later...

Clutch is still being made, it won't be sprung which sucks if you want to use if for more of a street car.  We are also re scanning the block tonight, need motor mount hold patterns.  

• Like 2