My Datsun trucks...

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, yes i put what i wanted to say on the card in a post but couldnt figure out how to add it & was hoping 1 of you guys could help me...thanks.

I added it to the card but it wouldn't let me upload ti to photobucket due to the other format Tom had it in. So I figure when I print it I will make sure it is on there :D Has bleach signed it? I was hopping to get the card to him this weekend... I wanted as many sigs as possible :D

I added a bit of Ratsun style to the 521 the other day......

718risingsungasdoor.jpg

My 1st attempt at a rising sun...:D

I like it :D

just made me think we should all have our gas doors white...

"we surrender!! you win, I can hardly afford gas!!"

Tell me about it!

Ok i finally got the old crusty falling apart in my hands as i drove it steering wheel off & a replacement one installed! I ended up using my die grinder to cut away @ the center of the hub to remove it. This wheel came off my 69 parts truck & is in ok shape.

723steeringwheel.jpg

I have heard that the outer part of a 510 wheel is the same, which to me means that there should be tons of mint ones out there since every 510 has a racing wheel. Just a thought.... since we are on the wheel discussion :D

I love the old skool wheels, but your right Lynch... those itty-bitty Grant, dragster-type wheels are for PS. I def want to add assisted PS to either my 720, or 620 if I ever get one. Those stock tractor wheels sure stand out in such a small cab.

PS to anyone that knows...

Is the logo (decal) like is on Hainz, others vehicles, trademarked, or available as a template for other members to use? I know it is the Japanese sun logo... it sure looks nice on what I have seen it used on.

I have heard that the outer part of a 510 wheel is the same, which to me means that there should be tons of mint ones out there since every 510 has a racing wheel. Just a thought.... since we are on the wheel discussion :D

Speaking of stock wheels, I still have one laying around for ya ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally dug out my Nardi wooden steering wheel & try & make it look presentable. An old friend had sanded & varnished it years ago but it didnt come out right so...im sanding off all the old stuff & plan on using clear stain on it. It used to be gold plated but i may get creative with my Dremel & make some swirls in it...oh yeah i have to fab an adapter that will bolt to a stock Datsun hub. In the pic ive already sanded it using 80 then 220 grit paper...

811woodenwheel.jpg

& i got kinda bored & painted the pillars with Rust oleum teal...it kinda matches:cool:

811pillars2.jpg

• Like 1

Part number from momo is 3503

The spline count on that hub is 36 and the outside diameter is 18mm.

This is the info I got from Momo. You should be able to check the spline dia. and the count and get a good idea if it will work for you.

that steering wheel has some nice color and grain to it..

You could simply oil it with Tung Oil and the then you wouldnt have that glossy goopy look..

It just oils the wood up and leaves a nice satin finish.. probably more appropriate for a 30 year old vehicle.. IMO

Oh and by the way... youre not done sanding :)

Its gonna look real nice... as far as the Tung Oil goes, just give it a light scuff between applications..200 grit is about right... and the more coats you put on the richer it is going to look.. when you are done wetsand it with some 600 grit.