My Datsun trucks...

Its a combo of stress & the man hole cover that did it. Im gonna tear into it friday & sat. & re do it. I had the muffler shop do my exhaust like that, he ha dto slightly crush the pipe to get it over the crossmember. BTW im running 1 3/4 inch pipe & yeah the floor kinda gets hot but its not that bad...rather have a hot floor than a crushed pipe..:cool:

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark did you weld vertically down that tubing on your arms? If you did, big no no! This gives the tube a place to crack out and effectively cuts the tube in half. You need to make plates that allow you to weld at angles down the tube instead of straight down. Does that make sense?

Im gonna tear into it friday & sat. & re do it. I had the muffler shop do my exhaust like that, he ha dto slightly crush the pipe to get it over the crossmember. BTW im running 1 3/4 inch pipe & yeah the floor kinda gets hot but its not that bad...rather have a hot floor than a crushed pipe..:cool:

Mine is run the same way, same size too...I murdered one amp before I realized how hot the floor got :P

Mark did you weld vertically down that tubing on your arms? If you did, big no no! This gives the tube a place to crack out and effectively cuts the tube in half. You need to make plates that allow you to weld at angles down the tube instead of straight down. Does that make sense?

Basically you'd want to plate the sides with your plate cut at the ends like so <>

This gives you more weld surface area and spreads the stress diagonally in both directions, instead of vertically where it will want to break...

I would probably use a channel with the ends fishmouthed like that, instead of a gusset and some plates ;)

Jason & Steve, i hear you guys & understand what your sayin as far as repairing it. For now it'll get a beefed up repair & sometime down the road Ill 4 link it & lay it on the ground. When i did this back in sept. i wanted to keep it basic & it was my 1st time doing an air suspension so i guess you learn as you go.

Ok i got the bars straightened , braced & re welded. I ended up plating each side of the bar where they were bending. Im dead set now on building a 2 link w/ a wishbone which is i guess a 3 link? I have pics of a few & know how to make it & i like that design cause i can keep my gas tank where it is. Im thinking of using round bar..possibly chromoly if it's affordable..:D I also swapped the 320 rims on, ill post a pic later.

umm...it does actually have a seam. It's still welded together like other tubing, but it's drawn over a mandrel to make the dimensions more accurate. I'm glad to hear you ponied up for the DOM. When I was down there a couple of years ago, you said you were going to make everything out of black pipe.

The DOM is definitely better stuff...since the walls are uniform thickness you it doesn't have the weak spots.

There's a place up here called Metal Supermarkets that stock the stuff. I didn't see them list any in San Diego, but just make some calls in your area...it has to be available locally for you.

It is welded, but doesn't have the same seam that normal black pipe has.

We use it for several parts on our equipment. I buy ours from pacific machinery and tool steel. They also have a ebay store as well. What you're looking for Mark is DOM Mechanical Tubing which is the green color code.

2eDeYe;4898'']Mine is run the same way, same size too...I murdered one amp before I realized how hot the floor got :P

HHmmm I think I'm going to have to do it that way, I need to do something so I can take out the bump stops, my rig has such a bumpy ride :(

(Jeff's brother's 521 was #5) There's always something that can be improved upon.

HEY what are you saying! :D

I have pics of a few & know how to make it & i like that design cause i can keep my gas tank where it is.

When I was under my rig "fixing" my drive line vibration I noticed how close the gas tank is to the drive line, all I could was think of is our trip to shasta. I've sure most of you guys have seen this pic. The only reason I want to move my gas tank... I'm sure you don't hit 130 that often in your 620 :D

tranny%202.JPG

you were going to make everything out of black pipe.

I install black pipe :cool: Well until I get a leak :(

I'm not saying anything was wrong Jeff, I'm always finding something that I would change about everything I build. I'm very anal that way!

HAHA I know dude I'm just Joshing you :D

I like the look of the old school rims. I got those on my truck to, we the factory ones :D

Also I wasn't in that car thank God... he said it was a really bad sound hehe

Dwight thanks for the pic!!! Jason yeah ive been lucky the few shows ive taken it too. At the Forbidden fantasy show there were only 2 Datsun trucks, mine & Sals 521 [culodragger]. Im gonna hold onto the Denalis for now they still have excellent tires on em.