My Datsun trucks...

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started reading this post this AM... have not finished all 18 pages. Firstly... nice rides PCD!!! I so want a 620 - would gladly trade my '83 720 Z22 for one!!!

I am wondering, and please forgive if this has been asked... is there any way to get the dashboard assembly from a 620 into a 720 body... or a aftermarket kit? I friggin' love the round gauges in your 620 pics... the 720 dash/cluster are so Americanized - so utilitarian - ugh!!!

Thanks...

Nate

Ok the yard didnt have any EI distributors at all so i decided to throw the single point dist. in it that was in my 620. I even swapped the pedestal, kind of half assed the timing seeing as i dont have a gun. Runs alot better & no sputtering or backfiring :D.

2eDeYe;12579'']I know datzenmike put a 720 dash into his 620, so it is possible.

Stripped 620 cab with 720 heater core roughed in

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/img005.jpg[/img]"]img005.jpg

Finished install. The results are fabulous! but lots of in and out and problem solving. I installed a 720 wire harness and got rid of the 620 one. This allows all the 720 gauges and switches to plug in and go. The 720 has (15) possible fuses vs. the 620s (6). The 720 has a stem mounter wiper control on the column (like a turn signal) that I switched and is now a variable pulse wiper, seen just above the ignition switch. You can work the wiper without removing your hand from the wheel, unlike the 620 2 speed? pull knob in center of dash. The 720 head light switch is on the turn signal stem and easy to use by twisting.

The 720 fan is separate from the core and mounts where the 620 glove box was and needs a new opening into the plenum for fresh air and the old one sealed off. This meant that the 620 wiper motor was now in the way, so I had to mount a 720 3 speed outside the cab, in the plenum, which meant cutting the linkages and changing their geometry, and... well you can see the problems I had. But I now have a 4 speed tornado heater and the 720 dash even has little vents on each side to defrost the side windows!

Because of the 4x4 wiring a 4X4 console connects right up, I just had to change the oil sender to a gauge type.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/daytonaseats.jpg[/img]"]daytonaseats.jpg

The optional dash insert that I have has the clock and tach and unlike the 620 is easy to read when it gets dark. I installed a 4X4 harness and when I put the transfer case in a year or so later I just connected the plug and the little 4x4 lights up on the dash when I take it out of HI. The 620 temp and gas sensors worked with the 720 gauges.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/STP80225-2.jpg[/img]"]STP80225-2.jpg

The 720 dash fit perfectly against the 620 window but the bolts did not line up, and the drivers door handle had 3/4" cut off to clear the dash on that side when opening. I still like the looks of the 620 dash, I have a perfect one with tach, but the heater sucks, likewise the wiper control and the motor in the cab is too whiny. I do like the roomy 720 glove box and that everything has a fuse.

Bamadawg you would be gaining a nice looking dash but giving up a lot. I guess if you left your heater you could mount the 620 dash just above it. Maybe get the 620 wiring too. Oh yeah, I installed the 720 black carpet as well. It has tons of sound deadener and a vinyl re-enforcing below the brake and clutch pedals and beside the gas pedal on the side of the tunnel.

LOL, you mean the 620 one right??? I've been holding out for a good 620 tail gate trade. I have a flatbed and I'm working on a box for it but the gate is not so good looking. The bottom edge above the tail lights is rusted out and has been previously repaired. 'aholic offered but $$hipping!

Any ideas?

Mike... thanks for the post about the 720 swap. I didn't get to check out the 620 on Sunday... dang I was tired from painting 4 days straight last week. I do remember when I was younger... I had a 620 (wish I still had it!!!), and the heater/wiper thing I well remember... kinda worn and wimpy compared with a more modern car for sure. I been browsing pics on the Datsun Yahoo Group... saw a great dash conversion on a 620... he made it flat like the 720's with sheetmetal I would guess, and installed white face VDO gauges with the lil orange pointers... very nice install. I guess the round gauges are brought over from the 510 maybe... I know I read it had IFS like a car - can never remember to bookmark!!! LOL

Nate

It's a definite improvement for sure! (the 720 has more bulbs too) I just didn't like the placement of the wiper/light switches, and the 720 heater core is huge with a fan that pops your ears when you turn it on!!!. (j/k)

If I could magically go back to the stock dash, I still wouldn't. Just a personal preferance.

I used a small ratchet with a socket and a phillips head allen deal (one of the ones from my cordless drill)

It worked really well I was able to put pressure on the screw and ratchet it out of there.

Then I took out the windshield a week later :P

2eDeYe;12754']I used a small ratchet with a socket and a phillips head allen deal (one of the ones from my cordless drill)

It worked really well I was able to put pressure on the screw and ratchet it out of there.

Then I took out the windshield a week later :P

DO NOT put any pressure on the inside of the glass!!! I did and it cracked! I thought I was careful but can't believe how little it took to break.