• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok i tore into the 521 today & fixed the ever so annoying exhaust leak. I used the NEW flange Ol yeller [Ron] made for me & "pieced" together a few sections of pipe to seal it up. I know it looks rough but this should hold until i can get it done by my muffler guy. Theres still a small leak so that means the ex. manifold @ the flange is'nt level so I'll be on the lookout for another L 16 ex. mani. Ron...your part makes the rest look bad :lol: but i fixed it in true Ratsun style :D

you can see how bad is was cracking & ya it sounded like ass!

1-15crackeddownpipe.jpg

the Ratsun Y pipe...

1-15newdownpipe.jpg

& installed, clears the torsion bar barely....

1-15downpipeinstalled.jpg

Allright wife is back in college & im home alone till work time so i decided to dive back into the 521 & color sand & buff out the fender & hood to see how it came out. The PO had spray painted over the factory paint which probably saved it from fading, i sanded off the rattle can then used 3-M compound.glaze then wax & it actually shined up ok. Theres a few areas that went through to the undercoat but it's a ratsun so it's all good :D Some before & afters...

you can see the diff. color on the top half...

1-18fenderbefore.jpg

all sanded, i used 600 then 2000...

1-18fendersanded.jpg

36 year old paint shines again...

1-18fenderbuffed.jpg

hood not sanded yet,,,fender buffed...

1-18fenderbuffed2.jpg

& i also got my 69 doors swapped on, very straight w/ no rust.

• Like 1
Ok i tore into the 521 today & fixed the ever so annoying exhaust leak. I used the NEW flange Ol yeller [Ron] made for me & "pieced" together a few sections of pipe to seal it up. I know it looks rough but this should hold until i can get it done by my muffler guy. Theres still a small leak so that means the ex. manifold @ the flange is'nt level so I'll be on the lookout for another L 16 ex. mani. Ron...your part makes the rest look bad :lol: but i fixed it in true Ratsun style :D

you can see how bad is was cracking & ya it sounded like ass!

1-15crackeddownpipe.jpg

the Ratsun Y pipe...

sorry to thread jack but has any one split the the manifold fold from the y back or just plain split the manifold in two and ran it that way to run duals if so how did it sound

I toy'd around with running 2 pipes all the way back but with the L 16 i doubt id see any performance diff. The sound would be interesting to hear though. I now have half the hood wet sanded & buffed & the "D" emblem back on the hood & the "1300" emblems on the fenders.

Ok today i got rid of the points dist. in the 521 & went w/ the EI / HEI swap. I took pix for those who want to do this....

Leave the old dist. in, pull the 1st spark plug & insert a screwdriver in the hole..turn the fan until the cylinder hits the screwdriver...it has to be on the compression stroke & youll know cause the rotor will point to #1

1-23dist2.jpg

the oil pump drive will look like this...in the 11'28 position once you pull the dist.

1-23dist3.jpg

you need the pedestal that came w/ the dist, i ended up mounting it the opposite direction from this pic. dont forget a new gasket for the pedestal...

1-23dist4.jpg

the parts i used...

1-23dist5.jpg

the wires that are taped are the + & - coming from the dist...the B & Y + the B & R wires used to go to the resistor...splice them together & attach to + side of coil...

1-23dist6.jpg

the vaccum advance is in a different position but not in the way. Also install NEW spark plugs & gap them @ .040 - .044. I going on a test drive right now :D

• Like 2
Heres a small cell phone vid of my HB shot a few years back....

HBbedgif.gif

No 521 updates so why not do a HB pic :D

P1010094.jpg

Pimp!

My buddy has a truck like yours(same body style). His is also lifted , with a snug top, and candy coated. I'll try and get a pic of it one of these days. Who did the Z rack for you?

• Like 1

Oh yeah guys she runs sooo much better w/ the E-I ! Faster starts & smoother acceleration. I got busy today on the engine bay..degreased & painted a few parts. The valve cover is transpearent paint, i sanded it 1st so you can see the swirls :cool:

1-24enginebay.jpg

• Like 2

Today i decided it was time to swap the beds. I did it by myself until the afternoon when my buddy showed up to help. I ended up cutting the rear bolts off of both trucks, they're way hard to get to plus mine were semi rusted.....

1-29bedoff1.jpg

& yes i drug it off & slid it to where it is :D...

1-29bedoff2.jpg

the reason im swapping them is the blue bed has alot of outward dents that i just dont feel like fixing. Bed off & look at all the dirt & funk!!...

1-29dirtyframe.jpg

I took a wire brush to it all & primered most of it [sorry forgot to take pic]. The new [grey] bed has some damage that ill cut out & repair using the blue bed in time. Now i need to get my rear lights to work :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Ok what a day...i got the new bed & gas tank bolted on & look at what i get to fix...

1-30beddamage.jpg

The entire corner was pushed up & in, i plan on cutting a piece from the blue bed & welding it in...1-30beddamage2.jpg

damage cut out [sawzall :D] & used the come along to pull it out...

1-30comealong.jpg

light fixture hammered out...

1-30beddamagecutout.jpg

& yess ill be running 520 lights ! New lenses installed...they were stock on the 69 believe it or not.....

1-30520lights.jpg

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...