1971 Datsun 521

Zonargx

I’m gonna have to get some at the auto parts I have ngk plugs right now. When I bought the truck I did a basic tune up on it and bought ngk but don’t remember what they were. There more likely not those since I just had the auto parts give me what was recommend 

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 1
  • Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Zonargx said:

I’m gonna have to get some at the auto parts I have ngk plugs right now. When I bought the truck I did a basic tune up on it and bought ngk but don’t remember what they were. They are more like not those since I just had the auto parts give me what was recommend 

You probably got the right plugs but my guess is they are the resistor type....

If you want to go one step further a good set of low resistance plug wire  an help too... I think it was recommended to have them below 1000 ohms of resistance...

I bought a make you own set from Msd, I believe, I bought a V8 kit so I have extra wires if needed... i can find the part number if you like....

• Like 1

My 710 is BP6ES and '78 620 was BPR6ES. This is for an L20B. Both are projection.

Projection plugs run hotter thus better self cleaning at lower speeds. At higher speeds they are cooled by the inrush of air and fuel.

They are closer to the center of the combustion so the flame has a shorter radius distance to travel out to the edges than if the plug was on one side and it had to travel the diameter distance. Shorter burn time means the ignition can be retarded.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Zonargx said:

I’ll look into the wires 

Incase you wanna check this out....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BDSVOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_yI.WFbFHAMCKV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

500 ohm per foot, its 8mm diameter too and I believe stock are 7mm.. I did have to open up the clip on top of the valve cover a little...

Comes with the crimp tool too... 

• Like 1

@mainer311 I believe I saw some pics of your sound system set up a while back I believe it was a topic of the carpeting re done? Didn’t you have some mids installed on your door panels?

I want to install some.... all I have right now are  some 3 inch teeter from when I had my old 73 Chevy c20 but I want my mids. I’m sound dampening my truck in a few days probably Saturday or anyone else have how to install ideas or that they've done ?

Yes, there are 6-1/2” in the doors. They are 2-ways, with a directional tweeter in the center. The previous owner cut the holes to mount 5-1/4”, but I managed to get 6-1/2 to fit. It’s very tight. The window crank gear rack comes down and is very close to where he cut the holes. 

If I had done it my way, I would have built a custom center console that fits over the transmission hump, and had 2 angled speakers in that. I may still do it this way if I ever get replacement door cards.

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Yes, there are 6-1/2” in the doors. They are 2-ways, with a directional tweeter in the center. The previous owner cut the holes to mount 5-1/4”, but I managed to get 6-1/2 to fit. It’s very tight. The window crank gear rack comes down and is very close to where he cut the holes. 

If I had done it my way, I would have built a custom center console that fits over the transmission hump, and had 2 angled speakers in that. I may still do it this way if I ever get replacement door cards.

Poor separation with that, more like mono. Or better yet get something larger like 8" 'subs' for the custom enclosure and again move the hi range choice farther apart. Low frequency sound is non directional, you can mount anywhere even under the seat. High frequency needs to be farther apart to fool your ears with the illusion you're in a larger room. I have a pair of what used to be called 'biscuit' tweeters. Like a small cookie sitting on the dash on each side facing up. The high frequency sound projects upward and reflects off the inner windshield producing the illusion of a larger room. Mid range speakers are more in the 6 1/2" range so leave in the doors or as far apart as available.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Poor separation with that, more like mono. 

Not if they're facing different directions. Think about it: the driver's side door speaker is firing into your leg and bouncing off the wall on the other side of the cab. Your head is completely out of the zone that the mid-woofer is projecting to. Not to mention...this is a 521, not a bus. 

Then again, I don't know much about audio. 

Pq0uz9v.jpg

KiHETK6.jpg

V9stIUE.jpg

qsN14z9.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 3

Damn Mainer hahaha. 

another question I have already made to order on the b6es plugs and both places seem to not have them them both places replace the order for bpr6es coils

Am I ok running those cuz all I been ready is pretty much negative comments on them going bad prematurely 

22 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

An audiophyle?

Yes, but one who believes in practicality and data-backed science. I won’t go spend a $1000 on some oxygen free copper cables with magic boxes in the middle of them. There’s a lot of snake oil in the industry, and unfortunately, a lot of people buy into it.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Zonargx said:

Damn Mainer hahaha. 

another question I have already made to order on the b6es plugs and both places seem to not have them them both places replace the order for bpr6es coils

Am I ok running those cuz all I been ready is pretty much negative comments on them going bad prematurely 

I think you’ll be fine running projected in a stock engine, and the resistors don’t make that much difference, so if BPR6ES is all you can get, just use them. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Yes, but one who believes in practicality and data-backed science. I won’t go spend a $1000 on some oxygen free copper cables with magic boxes in the middle of them. There’s a lot of snake oil in the industry, and unfortunately, a lot of people buy into it.

Well said!   I like crisp clean tones with real bass not synthesizer noise!!!

36 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

True that. LOTS of snake oil. Just like after market 'performance' parts. Technically 'better' but truly not worth $50 a HP.

1 hour ago, Zonargx said:

Damn Mainer hahaha. 

Where are you going? 

They should be able to get them no problem,  are you asking for the plugs for you truck or asking them for the specific plug..... 

I actually dont see them available through autozone, they have the -11 but not the regular b6es, but it seems like napa, advance auto, and oriellys have them...

• Like 1