1971 Datsun 521

Zonargx

o5Djin0.jpg
etQtvhX.jpg

G2plILi.jpg

Update on the engine. So what I didn’t wanted to happen happened. I was struggling trying to set the cam sprocket on with the timing chain and I just couldn’t...I try prying up the sprocket carefully and it still would budge my uncle said fuck it your gonna have to remove the timing cover. So I had to remove extra stuff I didn’t want to remove in the first place but anyways it was the chain tensioner that had pooped out pushing the chain tighter and getting stuck under the timing guides. I had to hold the chain while my uncle unbolted it compress it and set it back into place . Had to Wash And paint a lot of stuff all I need now is to put the oil pump back in put the distributor, radiator, hoses, thermostat housing and start her up!!!

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 4
  • Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/13/2020 at 5:53 PM, datzenmike said:

NAPA Felpro for $25 is fine. It's more important to make sure the head is flat. Gaskets usually blow for a reason such as over heating and warping. Good idea to check with a straight edge in an X pattern. If you can slip a 0.004" feeler gauge under the straight edge anywhere it needs to be leveled.

Yes the head bolts are reusable.

Before you put a wrench to this head you MUST block the timing chain tensioner from falling out. Find out how and know what your are doing. It's not hard to change a HG, it's just turning wrenched, but the tensioner falling out adds about 4 hours of extra unneeded work to fix.

Straight pipe? never. It annoying to everyone else and you soon get tired of it all. I like to hear my Datsun running. You can catch a lot of problems by listening.

• Like 1

that’s so true that’s the reason I couldn’t fish my truck wastes about 5 hours just because of that’s I put a bunch of stuff up rags in the middle section when I should of put them am the way down. Have any of you guys run an exhaust set up other than having it stock. I want to give my truck some taste haha 

• Like 1

You have a truck, so lots of room for a muffler. What I did on my 710 was get a larger diameter muffler with larger inlet and outlet. I got an expander? adapter? for joining two different size pipes to match the 1 7/8" pipe to the 2 1/8" muffler. The outlet dumps out a 450 bend to keep the heat off the axle. No tailpipe so the sound bounces off the ground and the car absorbs some of it that you can hear. No matter where I am in the house I never hear my wife drive up but I can hear my Datsun idling even with the windows closed and me in the back of the house. It's not loud but rumbles.

The 521 probably has a 1 1/2" pipe? Have a shop copy it in 2" and fit the largest cheap muffler you can fit on it. It's illegal to dump exhaust in front of the axle but I would or make an S bend and dump out in front of the rear tire. The CanAm 'Cudas and Challengers had a mufflers with inlet and outlet on the front of the muffler so they could run a side exhaust outlet.

Louder... would be any 'Turbo' style muffler (but not one you can look straight through) packed with fiberglass. It's low restriction and makes some noise but not like a fart. If too loud put a cherry bomb inline as a resonator to calm it down.

Loudest would be those 'see through' fart cannons with the chrome tip heated till it's turned blue. 

Just remember that sound does not equal power. Otherwise, you'll just be that loud truck.

• Like 1

Well stock without a tail pipe would be the quietest loud above stock.

A larger stock muffler from another vehicle won't make it any quieter but it's got less restriction.

My car has a stock inline resonator I don't think the 521 had them. Resonators don't add any restriction as they are see through but they 'pre- treat' the exhaust allowing some of the higher raspy sounds to cancel themselves out before entering the muffler.

No one can tell you what you will like or not, you have to try stuff for yourself. Kids like it loud. The older you get the more you like being comfortable. Noise is ok in small amounts like a short drive to work. On a long drive, noise wears you out much sooner. This is what I found.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Zonargx said:

Exactly what you have set up is what I want something not loud but not to quite I want to be able to hear it but don’t be bother or have other be bother by the sound

You would be surprised how loud these little L16 can be...

I think Mike covered things pretty good, 

If your exhaust is in good shape just cut the stock muffler off and grab one of those turbo mufflers.... 

I like the sound of 2" diameter pipes though, I had a slightly larger diameter at one point and it sounded really tinny when revved up....

Plus if your running the weber without the stock air box you'll hear that too.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would just get a good USA made Turbo muffler  . I think a 1.75 is good enough or maybe a 2inch. as one has to open up the Y pipe anyways and hope it has enough material to even weld to.

Its a truck get a quiet turbo muffler if anything or a stock Walker and just upsized to a 1.75 or 2 inch

521 going Highway seeds gets old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after about 40mins

whn I was young I thought louder meant faster.  Really a lot of noise is from the weber also.

the loudest 510s always had a weber 32/36 with a Fart Can or straight pipe. But was the slowest comapared to a sidedraft Carbs( and quieter)

however your set up looks good. Hope it starts right up

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven’t done the muffler yet has the same one I bought the truck with. I recorded it to show I just started it up and to also let you all know that for some reason it sounds to a tally different that before. Before it was actually quieter now it’s a bit throaty I love it just weird how after the valve job it would sound way different haha

• Like 1

Well I guess I paid $40 for a futofab alternator bracket and it’s been 2 weeks already and still no bracket I asked them why it’s still showing pending 4 days ago and they told me they ran out of parts than they were gonna have some ready by the end of the day and provide the tracking info as well and still after some days I haven’t gotten any tracking status. My alternator bracket is already broken so I had to weld it. It’s  not gonna hold for long but has anyone else purchase from them before?

Are the eBay brackets good?

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 1

I had gotten 3 a long time ago.  one in my 510 which I rarely drive now  ad my daily 521 for 20yrs

my 521 Im on my second one.  They should last a long time but I had a different lower mount that keep breaking and vibration loose with bolts busting and put a lot of strain on my first one. which bent the threaded rod.

I put the orginal Alt lower bracket on my L16 and a lightweight  35amp Alt  and its fine but the ball keeps popping out if I take it apart.

I personally like them but one has to plan it out as I hate taking the Radiator out cause of the long bolt..   I should have gotten a new alt turn buckle when I put a new Champion radiator recently.

I didn't get mine from Fotofab but somewhere else. Think had the same issue  of not having parts around before I ordered

• Like 1

Yea I just send them a request to cancel my order and bought one from someone on eBay that’s in north hills so that will definitely be here soon and for the same price as futofab but more likely to be here within a few days.

Edited by Zonargx
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Zonargx said:

What type of spark plugs do you guys recommend keep in mind I have a new Weber and the head with a fresh valve job and pertronix not that it mean anything but just incase I need something different ?

Ngk is the best for the datsun motor...

My opinion is the b6es,  correct heat non resistor and non projected tip... you might want the bp6es though,  same plug with a projected tip... 

• Like 1

The 521 calls for non resister BP6ES plugs. Resister plugs protect electronics from interference at the loss of a small amount of spark power. The 521 doesn't have GPS, EFI, cell phone or electronic distributor technology so no worries.  

1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

L16 original plugs weren’t projected, so B6ES like Neil mentioned. (Sorry if I spelled that wrong, there’s like 6 ways to spell your name.)

See I actually thought the projected was stock or prefered, something about placing the spark further into the combustion chamber.... I use the non projected because of the clearance to my pistons... stock it's not an issue due to the piston being dished.... 

Oh and yes you spelled it correctly..

Edited by Crashtd420