Lug nut studs/brake drums

Rusty Dawg

Howdy,

I recently picked up a 1961 PLG 222 1200 pick up truck and I wanted to replace some broken wheels studs.  Since I will have the drums off, I might as well inspect the brakes to see if they need to be gone though which I am sure they will be.  Can anyone help in telling me how to go about removing the drums on this vehicle and if I will need to replace seals when I go to re-install them or is the drum independent of any other component(s)?  The brakes actually work, but I need to take the drums off in order to replace some broken studs.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated, since I am a Ford/Mopar guy and I am just starting to learn about these very cool trucks.

Warm regards,

Roman

• Like 2
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing the video, looks like I have my work cut out for me since I need to do all four....one to three studs broken per wheel.  I was wondering if heat would help things, so thanks for the suggestion.

I always take pictures before disassembly.  I also only take apart one side of the vehicle at a time, so that I still have the other side to look at shall I forget how to put it back together.

Thanks for the responses.

• Like 2

There's not much of anything out there for these trucks including parts, so I appreciate any insight into what other vehicles might be similar to mine.  Thank goodness my truck was 95% complete.

Thanks again and I will search out the manual for a 320-521.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Steve Epperly of ZTherapy in Salem still has a couple of these.  He may have some resource material for them.

All things considered, this price doesn't seem all that bad.  

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1959-1960-Datsun-1200-Owners-Manual-Original-P211-PG222-U-P29217.aspx

https://forums.nicoclub.com/1960-datsun-plg-222-restoration-t602083.html

• Like 1

I have one of the 222 owners manuals. It has about 90 pages with a lot of good information. Let me know if you want me to take a picture of something. You will have to send me your email so I can just send pics to you - because it is such a pain to post on this site.

• Like 1

Thanks Stevecar, I will take you up on your offer.  At this time I haven't run into any road blocks, but I am sure I will eventually.

As for pics, I can't figure how to post them yet.  I need to ask one of my kids once they wake up at the crack of noon.

• Like 1

Ztherapy has a similar truck like mine, but it's awaiting a restoration with no extra parts available.  My search continues...

I did remove the drums on the the truck and it was relatively easy.  I think I will now try to located brake pads and rubber brake lines to replace them since I'm already in there.  Not sure how to go about inquiring at my local Napa store for these parts though.  I will pack the bearings and turn the drums as well.

As for the engine, once I get the busted thermostat housing bolts out and install a new thermostat I should be able to try and start her.  I did notice while working on it that it is NOT the original "E" type engine, but instead a "J" engine.

Regards,

Roman

• 2 weeks later...