Finally got a 510

grannyknot

I've wanted one since I was a kid and that was a long time ago,  it is an unfinished project that hasn't been on the road since the early 80's.

It came with a SR20DET, 5 spd trans, ECU, and wiring harness but I'm not really a turbo kind of guy so was thinking trading it all for a KA24DE.

Can anyone tell me if the 5 spd transmission that came with the SR will fit a KA ?

I see if I can post some pics later, I can't get into my flickr account at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats on the car!

SRs typically fetch a bit more $ then a KA so get a good one if you trade it. Both engines have their advantages and disadvantages.

The transmission will fit but you need to swap bell housings so better to trade engine and trans for engine and trans... or keep the sr trans as a spare. Essentially they are the same behind the bell housing. 

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

Why don't you like boost?  KA's are fun but they just aren't fast enough for me.  I have a NA SR20DE that I daily drive.  It's cool but just to slow.  I have a SR20DET ready for it.  I'm just not done mocking it up in my test front end.  I can't imagine just stopping at the NA SR.  Have you driven a SR20DET 510?  The T25 spools very fast, there is zero lag time.  

1 hour ago, Icehouse said:

Why don't you like boost?  KA's are fun but they just aren't fast enough for me.  I have a NA SR20DE that I daily drive.  It's cool but just to slow.  I have a SR20DET ready for it.  I'm just not done mocking it up in my test front end.  I can't imagine just stopping at the NA SR.  Have you driven a SR20DET 510?  The T25 spools very fast, there is zero lag time.  

I have some buddies with turbos and I swear one of their cars are always down due to the turbo  needing .... something, it just seems that the weak link in the turbo chain is always braking and so they upgrade that part for a better one then the next weakest part blows.  For me reliability is everything, more power is great as long as it doesn't strand me in the middle of no where.

20 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I have some buddies with turbos and I swear one of their cars are always down due to the turbo  needing .... something, it just seems that the weak link in the turbo chain is always braking and so they upgrade that part for a better one then the next weakest part blows.  For me reliability is everything, more power is great as long as it doesn't strand me in the middle of no where.

If you leave the SR stock it will run forever.  My 510 feel apart around the stock (boost at 10psi) 199whp SR20DET.  The drivetrain never had an issue.  It was all the 40+ year old car that had the issue.  The problem with boost is you can add more.  It's easy to fall down the "just a little more" path which causes the problems.  I guess you could sell the SR and get the funds to install the KA though, since it's easy to install.  I'm just betting you will miss the power.  

• Like 1

You guys might be right,  maybe I shouldn't be so stuck in my ways,  isn't a turbo much more complicated when it comes to tuning than a plain fuel injected?

1 hour ago, Icehouse said:

I'm just betting you will miss the power.  

The project I have to finish first before I can get to the 510 is dropping a freshly rebuilt bmw S54 into my 72/240z, that should be enough power for me for a while.

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

You guys might be right,  maybe I shouldn't be so stuck in my ways,  isn't a turbo much more complicated when it comes to tuning than a plain fuel injected?

The project I have to finish first before I can get to the 510 is dropping a freshly rebuilt bmw S54 into my 72/240z, that should be enough power for me for a while.

If your messing with it sure ... a turbo gets more complicated... stock turbo with stock tune no issues...

The other thing to keep in mind is how much power is too much... at what point is the car not "fun" to drive anymore...

My 510 with a hopped up l20b, mikuni 44s and a big cam was a blast to hoon... just enough power to cause a ruckus and find the edge without doing mach 10 on back roads and risking impoundment ... the ka is fun but almost feels too much sometimes 

I miss my old turbo Subarus sometimes. But like the simplicity and instant throttle response of NA.

KAs have a lot of good low end torque which is great for street driving too not having to wind it out all the time 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I thought this was a running car already.

It hasn't been on the road since the early 80's and has been a project car all that time, each owner doing a little more but then selling it because it was too big of a project, lost interest ... A long the way the original engine/trans disappeared as did just about every Nissan bolt, nut and washer.

The body work and paint was finished just this past summer and it came with boxes of stuff, all the SS and chrome trim, most of the interior, all the glass including a new windshield, the gas tank is mint.

Sounds like I can just assemble it but I was looking at the panels, roof and hood and it is pretty wavy, a quicky paint  job.

Now would be the time to take it back down to bare metal and find out what surprises are waiting.

• Like 1

I would say just build it and drive it!

I hate seeing cars get passed along and never finished cause they aren't perfect...

Just drive it!

But back with your earlier comments now is a good time to take stock on the engine and see where you are at... if your sr20 is in pieces or not finished might be the perfect time to offload it for a complete and running drivetrain--- be it L, sr, or ka

• Like 2

Hey, 

I don't think the trans is compatible. There are plenty of KA motors transmissions out there so don't worry. The SR motor is you typical swap and will be an easy flip for you. I have a KA motor now and just finished building it with new pistons, rods, head studs, gaskets, etc and plan on boosting it. This way I'll have the benefit of both so watch out SR guys cause 2.4 hits a lot harder then the 2.0. 

9 hours ago, demo243 said:

I hate seeing cars get passed along and never finished cause they aren't perfect...

Me too, that's what made buy this one, I'm a sucker for these kinds of projects but I always finish them.  It will probably be next Fall before I can bring the car into the shop so lots of time to go through all the boxes and figure out the best direction to take it.

I came across this article, http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/510/rack-n-pinion/510_rack_conversion.htm

and from years of messing around with Z's I have everything to do this steering rack conversion, sounds intriguing.

But this is the only mention I have found of Z to 510 steering so I'm assuming this isn't a popular swap?

• Like 2
On 11/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, grannyknot said:

?ping&r=614b2beaf2e4cbe56a71cc093b3d8658I'm locked out of my account with flickr so I just opened one with imgur. Wish I could upload pics from my files.

IMG_0042-1024x768.md.jpg?ping&r=614b2beaf2e4cbe56a71cc093b3d8658IMG_0041-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0043-1024x768.md.jpgIMG_0048-1024x768.md.jpg

The car looks pretty good, don’t be like me and have it sit for 20 plus years apart. Fix what’s needed and put it together and enjoy the ride. I’m sure everyone here can help you source all you may need to get her going. From the pics she looks good. 

On 11/22/2019 at 6:46 PM, grannyknot said:

I'll bet it was,  L20b was also one the engines I thought about and haven't ruled it out yet, I love the induction sound of DCOE's.

So many choices!

L motors.... Yuck!  Talk about unreliable.  Plus carbs....  Everytime I decide to get one going in a project I've pick up I'm quickly remined why I always do motor swaps.  Although I'm not sure I would do a BMW motor swap :)  I guess if you don't drive it much you don't have to worry about the rod bearings going.  Sorry couldn't resist :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1