Finally got a 510

grannyknot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice find...............hope the paintwork is good!  PS you will need to pull the back glass out to install a new headliner.........install headliner BEFORE installing the front & rear glass!  If you don't already have, but a NEW rear glass seal! 😎

• Like 1

That's a clean looking slate!  As everyone else said, get it on the road as reasonably quick as you can without taking shortcuts that'll bite you later on.  Just driving the car does loads to your motivation to get things done with it.  It's too easy to get use to it just "sitting in the corner" on of your garage.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been looking everywhere for the upper and lower Alt brackets and coolant outlet from a ka24e to do the single belt option on the ka24de.  Couldn't find anything used but luckily Nissan still carries the upper bracket and coolant outlet and they are quite inexpensive. I ordered those and built the lower bracket, I didn't go for pretty, just strong, some black paint will do the trick.

Also, have been hunting around for a throttle cable that is long enough to go straight back to the firewall, travel over to the D/S then through the firewall to the pedal, that measures about 4' ft. The longest Lokar offers is 36", anyone have ideas?

I notice some guys have the throttle cable going diagonally over top of the engine but trying to avoid that if possible, looking for a cleaner look.

Thanks 

IMG_0322-1024x768.md.jpg

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

I used throttle cables from 80's corrollas on all my SR/KA swaps. Availiable new and used everywhere. They are availiable at rockauto, 25" and 43". Not sure which one i've used, but guessing the 43". I can measure them tonight when I get home, if you like.

Edited by fivetenguy
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, fivetenguy said:

I used throttle cables from 80's corrollas on all my SR/KA swaps. Availiable new and used everywhere. They are availiable at rockauto, 25" and 43". Not sure which one i've used, but guessing the 43". I can measure them tonight when I get home, if you like.

Yes, that would be great.  So would that be 83- 86 5th gen. or 86-90  6th gen.?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was digging through the last box of parts that came with the 510 and I have come across some things that I can't identify, not even sure if they are 510 parts or just got thrown in the box, hoping you guys can help.

The last pic are the marker lamps, how do you get into these little buggars to change the bulb?

Thanks

IMG_0428 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0432 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0433 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0434 (1024x768).jpg

Edited by grannyknot

Top left pic looks like the clips that hold the door weatherstrip in at the bottom of the door (depending on their size)

Top right pic looks like the part that goes in the instrument bezel at the bottom between speedo and tach/clock(again, depends on size)

Middle pic on the left: These nifty little buggers were used to hold in the vinyl/rubber floor mats from the factory. I had these in my 1200 also.

Middle picture on the right: This one is purely a guess but, some type of bracket for the seat maybe? They look familiar but I just can't remember.

Last pic: I haven't a clue.

• Like 1
On 12/21/2019 at 5:44 AM, grannyknot said:

Also, have been hunting around for a throttle cable that is long enough to go straight back to the firewall, travel over to the D/S then through the firewall to the pedal, that measures about 4' ft. The longest Lokar offers is 36", anyone have ideas?

I bought one of these Manco throttle cables because my 510 is RHD, and I needed a "really" long cable.  I forgot what length I used, but it was cheap, and I bought a spare thinking it might not last.  Still have the first one on the car, and I think it's been on there for 7 years now...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmanco+go+kart+throttle+cable.TRS0&_nkw=manco+go+kart+throttle+cable&_sacat=0

• Like 1

WD 40 the edges of the red lens before trying to unscrew!  If stuck & brittle, the red plastic lens will crack!  PS those are 1969 only rear sidemarkers, so kinda rare!

Upper right is 70-73 510 dash filler cap, right above the steering column shroud.  Should have three small "hooked tabs" on the back to snap in place.  If one or more are broken, very common reason why most cars are missing this piece.

Middle left with phillips screw, pretty sure 2 per side screw to REAR of front floor, in front of seat mounting subframe, the OEM rubber mats (not optional carpet) had s/s metal grommets that hooked on to these.  If you go carpet, you can still use these, along with s/s grommets in the carpet, but most glue the carpet down.

Middle right are seat mounting hardware parts.  The four curved go on the FRONT seat studs, 2 per side, with a split lock washer & 12mm nut, these go under the lip of the front seat mounting subframe.  You should have four of the flat plates with turned edges, these go on the REAR seat studs, under the car floor with a split lock washer & 12mm nut.

TJ

Denver

• Like 1
2 hours ago, yenpit said:

WD 40 the edges of the red lens before trying to unscrew!  If stuck & brittle, the red plastic lens will crack!

That's exactly what I did this morning, let it soak for a few minutes and they came off easily.  69 only?  I wonder how they ended up the parts boxes for a 73, at any rate I'll restore them and get them out there for someone else's project, I hoard way too much stuff as it is.

Thanks for the answers Gents.

22 hours ago, grannyknot said:

That's exactly what I did this morning, let it soak for a few minutes and they came off easily.  69 only?  I wonder how they ended up the parts boxes for a 73, at any rate I'll restore them and get them out there for someone else's project, I hoard way too much stuff as it is.

Thanks for the answers Gents.

Yup 1969 only, 2dr 4dr & Wagon!  Make sure they both have two studs each on the back...........go thru 1/4 panel, clipped inside trunk.  Good chrome & lens are a big plus!

I buy lots of USED parts loads, often a mish mash of parts from various years!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I got the rear end dropped on the 510 last week only to find a little surprise waiting for me,  how many miles of dragging the drum does it take to wear half way through the brake cylinder?

He lost his wheel while driving and decides to just drive home anyway?

Also, got the head back from the machine shop

IMG_0771 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0772 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0774 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0821 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0823 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0824 (1024x768).jpg

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PS we just used a Pathfinder accelerator cable on a CA18DET build.  Hooked right up to the half moon bell crank on the intake, fit the forked bracket where you adjust overall tension on the intake, was plenty long for a nice smooth "S" over to the stock accelerator linkage hole, bolted it to the firewall, simply had to weld an L bracket with a cut groove on the top of the stock 510 accelerator pedal for a place to "hook" the end of the cable.  Haven't run the car yet, but looks like it will work great!