Finally got a 510

grannyknot

On 4/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, grannyknot said:

Would kill for a bigger shop right about now.

^ This! ^  

Oh how we covet what we don't have. A bigger shop has a way of getting filled with more stuff. It's a sickness. Looks like you're doing some pretty amazing things with the space you have though. So glad to see another bastardized project fell into the right hands. You're doing Datsun proud.

As for those boogered up rear springs. Take it from an 80s era 510 guy, car modification was heavily influence by huge amounts of cocaine and really bad hear. 

I'm also a 10 year SR20DET 510 veteran, and although mine is well sorted and making more power than I know what to do with, the low end torque of your KA is something I'd kill for. You chose this power plant to avoid reliability issues, but once you start some "spirited" driving with your KA24 510, I predict you'll want to make some upgrades to the chassis and drivetrain. After all, it's 50 year old tech designed around a 97HP L16. Might be redundant but here's $.02 worth of advice learned from what's helped me overcome my swapped 510's reliability and safe enjoyment issues.

You might get a bit more leverage from an extended peddle arm, but even with greater force, modern pads and master cylinder, the stock disk & drum brakes will struggle to keep up with your KA. ZX upgrade or a Big Brake kit are a very good match for that kind of power.

When the 510's IRS is lowered, it exerts much more angle stress than the stock axle U-joints were designed to handle. That's multiplied by the big 2.4L monster torque upgrade. There are threads covering larger Z car U-joint axle conversions, and multiple CV axle kit options that bolt to your R160 LSD.

You pay a price in less comfort, but stiff higher end shocks and sway bars will help keep the car stabile entering and accelerating out of corners. A set of decent coil-overs can really make a difference in comfort and making the car feel safely planted in higher speed cornering. Both will be instrumental in enjoying what your KA has to offer. Tons of options ranging from DIY 280ZX conversion kits to sets with adjustable emotional control settings. 

Finally, the weakest link in the 510 chassis, the dreaded steering box/lowering geometry 1-2 combo. I was sick of straddling that fine line between bump terror and a wheel full of lead. I threw everything I could at it; braces, razed pickup points, spacers, modified control arms, etc, etc and still wound up with heavy, less than confidence inspiring steering feel. When I finally converted my SR510 to R&P steering with the corrected lowering geometry of JBCW's custom X-member... it felt like I was cheating on my high school girlfriend. I'm running 2˚ of caster where the steering finally reflects the actual weight of the 510, and dances over bumps and drop angles like Fred Astaire. IMO it's the best money you can spend on your dime's chassis. 

All the best and may the wind be at your back with this project. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, paradime said:

As for those boogered up rear springs. Take it from an 80s era 510 guy, car modification was heavily influence by huge amounts of cocaine and really bad hear. 

Haha, of course it was the cocaine.

the stock disk & drum brakes will struggle to keep up with your KA

No stock discs for this car, Silvermine's front Willwood calipers and discs.

When I finally converted my SR510 to R&P steering with the corrected lowering geometry of JBCW's custom X-member

Yes, it was very difficult decision not to order that Xmember and R&P, very nice package but I have optimized the steering box system as much as I can and will see how it feels first. I hate to admit it but I don't drive as aggressively as I use to.

Thanks for taking the time to critique the project, I appreciate it.

Re springs....

77360004_IMG_0081(1024x768).thumb.jpg.1f64dc3d81f5de7f210d7f5ba7e36b74.jpg

This is a classic example of how NOT to lower a coil spring car. How was this abomination done?? Just heat with an oxy/acetylene torch and the weight of the car squashes them. The car lowers but the spring rate is anyone's guess and safe to say each are different. This is redneck 'send it' at it's best.

The big milestone today, paint and clearcoat done! So nice to say that, God I find painting so stressful, just so easy to screw up and wreck all your work.

3 coats of colour and 3 coats of clear, lots of little dust particles but they should all come out when I start sanding the clear with 1200 grit.  It's the same colour is was when I bought the car only now the rust, dents and orange peel are gone😉

IMG_1051 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1056 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1059 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1060 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1050 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 4perrev said:

Man, she is coming along beautifully!  Nice work on the paint for sure.  Have you used the Kilmate before?  Wondering how well it works?

When it arrived I was disappointed because it it is a lot thinner than most of the other brands but now that I have installed it I'm very pleased, the cab has that same sound and feel as when I have used the thick stuff, it's also much lighter. The thicker stuff is probably quieter but really, how are you ever going to make a 510 quite? 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just an update, finished up the headliner and vinyl trim, made a parcel shelf and foot well kick panels, got both bumpers painted and cleared and the windshield is in.

Hopefully I can fill the tank and see if she'll fire up sometime this week.

IMG_1188 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1194 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1197 (1024x768).jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, iceman510 said:

Might have missed it in the thread.  What carpet kit or other did you use?

Thanks.

Sorry Iceman, I didn't see this. The carpet kit was from Zcardepot.

Well, because I have a serious addiction to projects this one is off to the auction block, https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-datsun-510-6/