Fram... even worse that you thought.

When I see one of these orange things on an engine at Canby or posted here, I have to shake my head at the owner. I really do.

Now, no engine is going to explode using one of these. It's unlikely to seize up on the highway. The method of damage in insidiously slower and you're unlikely to hear it whimpering, but eventually your engine will have a shorter life. These were bad 20 years ago and they haven't improved one bit. At one time they may have been something and had a fair reputation but the company was bought out just to get the name's reputation. This is the filter your dad used and it's easily recognizable and was trusted. Sadly no more ...

1970s...

Almost anything other than fram is better.

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i 'll play I remember that commercial.

Back in the '70's I used Fram, no problems. Drove from Cali to Illinois and back with a Fram on my Olds. Sometimes pushing and maintaining near 90 mph for hours on the highways, except thru Texas, it was 55 all the way.  I have a good story about that.

I must have heard something about Fram, changed to Wix for my rigs in the '80's and have used Wix ever since.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

.... using one of these. It's unlikely to seize up on the highway.

Ah, wrong.......

I had one of my Toyota 6-cylinder builds seize a rod bearing at nearly 8000 rpm, due the a Fram filter collapse.

screwed up one Eagle rod, and the crank. Thankfully, the Eagle rod didn't come apart, and ventilate the block. A stock rod would have.

Like Fetch, I had used them for years.

After the failure, went on-line and found out about the quality issues.

Not sure if I would trust one for just painting a block.

I only use the Mobil-1 filters now. 

Fetch, I didn't think anyone ever drove 55 in Texas, but I only moved here in 84.

I’ve tried to warn people over the years about fram oil filters.  Seems like 1/2 of them want to prove me wrong or say “ they’re just fine...how are they any different ?” More than once....After that.....I bow out..... not worth it 

Ok.....I was driving back on the highway/interstate from Skibs one day (years ago) after buying a hoarders delight of S30 stuff. Probably about a 45-minute drive or so one way. I heard my valves ticking on the way back , and decided I’ll adjustment them the next day.  This was in a 4spd/L28/3.54/SU setup...with shifts between 2800-4000rpms MAX !

Next morning , turn the key , fired up , and heard an instant rod-knock (mind you I had parked the car in that very same spot without moving it/or firing it up in between). Turned off the key and the oil level was perfect. Spun off the oil pressure sender = barely anything came out. Changed the fram filter for another one = problem was solved. Ran good and never had the problem come back. Spun the oil pressure sender off again to confirm = good amount draining back out this time.That head was noiser thereafter but the shortblock was good/quiet. 

Almost ANYTHING is better than a fram.

Back to working on wife’s gift

Edited by I'm BLUE
1 hour ago, G-Duax said:

Ah, wrong.......

I had one of my Toyota 6-cylinder builds seize a rod bearing at nearly 8000 rpm, due the a Fram filter collapse.

screwed up one Eagle rod, and the crank. Thankfully, the Eagle rod didn't come apart, and ventilate the block. A stock rod would have.

Like Fetch, I had used them for years.

After the failure, went on-line and found out about the quality issues.

Not sure if I would trust one for just painting a block.

I only use the Mobil-1 filters now. 

Fetch, I didn't think anyone ever drove 55 in Texas, but I only moved here in 84.

A 6 cylinder at 8,000 rpm's ? yea ok blame it on the oil filter.Probably engine builder error or abuse would be more likely.

This guy sounds like he has an axe to grind with Fram.I know this,my Toyota Tacoma has 350,000 miles on it and runs just fine and still passes smog easily.This would be the 3rd Toyota i've put that many miles on.Anybody care to guess what oil filters i usually use ?

3 hours ago, john510 said:

This guy sounds like he has an axe to grind with Fram.I know this,my Toyota Tacoma has 350,000 miles on it and runs just fine and still passes smog easily.This would be the 3rd Toyota i've put that many miles on.Anybody care to guess what oil filters i usually use ?

(3) Toyota’s w/350,000 miles a piece on each....how many miles do you drive per year ??? 

I’ve seen one Ford Explorer go 268,000 miles so far on mostly frams (start of its life to current). ^^^ It’s not my vehicle either.

Edited by I'm BLUE

Apples and oranges. Got any 250,000 Datsuns? Cars and trucks today are EFI and run cleaner and can get away with piss thin 5w oil. You need a filter that was as good as the ones 45 years ago.

What's your excuse? You saved $4? You can get away with a cheap and cheaply made fram, for everybody else (who drive the shit out of their cars on long and short trips in all kinds of weather) spend the $8 bucks.  

• Like 2

Maybe if you use ARCO Graphite oil,you won't have any problems.

When I was at a hillclimb,they had a drawing for different

prizes.One of them was a case of ARCO Graphite motor oil.Nobody would

accept it.

I wouldn't even use it on the bar of a chainsaw.

• Like 1

when i was young i used to use fram i dont know if they were any good then but they advertised like they were the best 

Today I wouldn't use  a fram filter if they gave me a lifetime supply 

I have been using napa gold now for several years 

• Like 1

I buy Napa Gold, but every vehicle I have purchased has had a Fram on them.

My F100 has one on it from when I purchased it. Haven't ran the truck yet, but I have a NAPA filter on the shelf for when I can finally drive the rig.

Same for my A12. Still has the Fram filter on it from when I drove it home. Hasn't been used since. 

I am not a fan of Fram air filters either. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, I'm BLUE said:

(3) Toyota’s w/350,000 miles a piece on each....how many miles do you drive per year ??? 

I’ve seen one Ford Explorer go 268,000 miles so far on mostly frams (start of its life to current). ^^^ It’s not my vehicle either.

Yes 3 different trucks.My 82' pickup actually went 420,000 and ran fine when i sold it.I drive a lot every year.I also keep my vehicles long term.I'm not saying Fram is a great filter.I think this theory about Fram and it being junk has just been blown out of proportion.It's amazing what the internet or Youtube can start.There's a Fram on my L-20b right now.I hope it doesn't mysteriously blow up next time i start it.

1 hour ago, john510 said:

Yes 3 different trucks.My 82' pickup actually went 420,000 and ran fine when i sold it.I drive a lot every year.I also keep my vehicles long term.I'm not saying Fram is a great filter.I think this theory about Fram and it being junk has just been blown out of proportion.It's amazing what the internet or Youtube can start.There's a Fram on my L-20b right now.I hope it doesn't mysteriously blow up next time i start it.

I sai,... it probably won't blow... up, but buy one and cut it open for yourself. You can't argue that they are not cheaply made with cardboard FF sakes. A sock in a soup can would do better.

27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I sai,... it probably won't blow... up, but buy one and cut it open for yourself. You can't argue that they are not cheaply made with cardboard FF sakes. A sock in a soup can would do better.

You go ahead and try the sock in a soup can.Get back to us with the results.Maybe you could do a Youtube video.Fram vs. sock in a soup can comparison.

all i can say about fram is they work but not as well as a better made  filter 

all the parts inside are pure crap 

everyone that has been cut open and compared to ANY other filter ANY other filter wins 

cardboard top and bottom what a piece of shit 

and the backflow seal ? seals against cardboard 

yep I will NEVER buy fram 

• Like 2