• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Stainless steel zip ties.  Should be available at oreillys

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered this option, but after a cursory search I could not find a long enough SS zip tie to double wrap the large end of the boot like the factory band clamp. It needs to be >21" long. I suppose in a pinch I could single wrap the the factory band clamp, but I'd rather not. I'm not in a hurry as this is a spare half-shaft, so I'll set it aside for now until I find a tool for the factory clamp, or become desperate...

• Like 1

Check for the Moog brand CV clamps #3416 for the big end and #3415 for the small end.

They should have a long enough tail to work with the tool you have.

Also look at the Lisle brand tool # 30950 it looks to have a shorter reach that may work with your existing clamps.

Edited by fivetengarage
On 1/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, datsunfreak said:

Find the right size CV boot clamp. Easy to get, and easy to install.   👍

113501159b.jpg

The pliers to crimp these are easy and cheap too...

KDT3955-LRG.JPG&maxx=300&maxy=0

This is what I did when I rebuilt mine. Got the clamps from a VW shop as I recall...

Thanks for the suggestion. I may resort to those clamps plus the tool if I can't find double wrap clamps that work with the tool I have.

2 hours ago, fivetengarage said:

Check for the Moog brand CV clamps #3416 for the big end and #3415 for the small end.

They should have a long enough tail to work with the tool you have.

Also look at the Lisle brand tool # 30950 it looks to have a shorter reach that may work with your existing clamps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw those at Summit Racing and they look exactly like the ones I got from Nissan, however the length on the big end clamp is stated as 10", which would only fit as a single wrap. I went back to look again today, and it says the small end clamp is also 10" long. Hmmm. The pics show double wrap, so maybe the 3416 length is a typo?  Could not find any dimensions on the Moog site. Says it fits up to 3.5" diameter, so a little math says it must be at least 9.6" long. 10" leaves virtually nothing for a tool to grab at max diameter, so it's gotta be longer. I might take a chance and order a couple.   

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered the Moog clamps suggested by fivetengarage (thanks for the tip!). Small end ones are still on back order, but the large end ones are plenty long, and double wrap. Nissan clamp on right for comparison:

yu3LYSR.jpg

I cut off some of the excess length and went to town with the tool. Success!

zGpadjV.jpg

I tried to fit the small end Nissan clamp and almost got it to work (another 5mm length and it would've worked!), then decided to just install the big end Nissan clamp on the small end. Done deal!

JoX50s2.jpg

RgcTqIl.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, by serendipity I found this filter in Windows Photo that makes your pics look kind of vintage. I used it on my 510 Day bridge pic above. Here's another pic I posted here on 510 Day 2019 (taken in front of the original Nissan Motor Corp USA HQ at 137 E. Alondra Blvd in Gardena, CA), but with the filter applied. The name of the filter? Zeke!

2ShXIpM.jpg  

Edited by Tedman
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 3/31/2017 at 8:23 PM, Tedman said:

Meanwhile, got the heater assembly all back together

Plenum re-installed:

http://i.imgur.com/d160eUg.jpg

Hey Ted, is the grey-ish plate screwed on just a flat plate with the bends visible?  Anything notable on the inside?  Sealed with weatherstripping?

My heater assembly appears to be missing that cover.  I guess I will have to make one.

Edited by iceman510
On 6/17/2021 at 7:57 PM, iceman510 said:

Hey Ted, is the grey-ish plate screwed on just a flat plate with the bends visible?  Anything notable on the inside?  Sealed with weatherstripping?

My heater assembly appears to be missing that cover.  I guess I will have to make one.

Yes it's somewhat visible. Mine is actually painted flat black but looks grey in the pic. I don't think I sealed it with anything, but it's been a while. Here's a pic from my SR car and you can see where it ends above the Trans Am Champion wreath sticker.

autometer gauges.JPG

Ha, poor choice of wording on my part.  What I meant was, is the shape of that piece basically a flat plate with just the bends that you can see in that picture, no other special features?  I didn't mean to sound like I was asking if it was visible in the car.  You answered it like it sounded though. 😊

I think I have what I need to try and make one.

Thanks. 

Just got home from taking Zeke on the Targa California 2021. 1130 miles round trip from my house around the southern Sierra Nevada mountains. The Targa California has traditionally been open to pre-'76 vintage cars, but this year they opened it up to '80s cars and a few later cars. We started off with a driver's meeting at the start in the Palmdale hotel parking lot, then drove out to Willow Springs International Raceway for half a dozen hot laps.

fulM7HY.jpgFtQUGaF.jpg

The Red Audi blew a head gasket right in front of us on the track. Had to clean a lot of coolant off the windshield after that mishap!

After the track laps, we headed north to Lake Isabella for lunch, then along the western Sierra foothills to Visalia where we stayed for the night. Did I mention that this event happened to coincide with a major heat wave? Temperatures approaching 110F on Thursday and Friday, combined with many steep, long climbs, really taxed everyone's cooling systems. Zeke consistently saw water temps of 210-215F without a hiccup. 

It seemed to get hotter as we wove our way north along the west flank of the Sierras to Visalia. Crews removing dead/burnt trees caused delays. Devastation from the fires and bark beetle infestation were on full display. The roads were super rad, though!

dADymdf.jpg

9eAGZ3T.jpg

On Friday morning we all awoke to dirty, water spotted cars thanks to a rain squall that passed through overnight. Many of the cars had been decorated by the Targa gnomes while we were asleep, mine included. The Power Ranger was relocated to below the rear windshield and stuck around for the entire event 

oHtrBGE.jpg

Friday was more climbing and dropping in hot weather as we wound our way north towards Sonora. Lunch was in Bass Lake. Here's some of us taking a break along the morning leg:

ooScvu6.jpg

Saturday it was eastward up and over the Sierra Nevadas, cresting Pacific Grade, and Ebbetts and Monitor passes. The forests and meadows were noticeably greener on this leg.

v5H2IDV.jpg

XgdZNvr.jpg

uE72XIo.jpg

ufrySwP.jpg

We ended the event in Mammoth Lakes with a festive dinner. Here's an impromptu group pic at The Minaret Vista, up the road from the Main Lodge at Mammoth. This would be the highest altitude we drove on the trip.

z97xJoB.jpg

zxOQp99.jpg

E8mXWHG.jpg

Gas was not an insignificant expense on this trip. Bridgeport CA took the most expensivist honors.

p14EIn3.jpg

G1fTCNh.jpg

Edited by Tedman
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

$1.49.9 a liter CDN or  $6.81 an imperial gallon. $5.67 for a US gallon CDN. Exchange rate today is $1.23 so $5.53 US for a larger imperial gallon in Canada?

In Straya! (downunder) US$5.39/gallon is AU$1.88/litre... which is more expensive than us atm! 😨 I'm paying about $1.40/litre for 91oct.

Edited by slowlearner
On 6/24/2021 at 1:36 PM, slowlearner said:

Was that $5.39 / gallon?  I'm paying about that over here! 🤔

That's right, for 87 octane regular. USD $5.69 /gallon for premium 91 octane which is what my car takes. For most of the trip the average price for 91 octane was ~USD $4.59/gal.

Edited by Tedman
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 10:45 AM, Tedman said:

FprY2Yw.jpg

This is AMAZING!!!

Now I have a new goal! take my bone stock 1969 831 white 510 to that exact location!!!  The only thing that won't match is the suicide 68 wipers on that car...which is weird because it has a 68 grill with a 69 D emblem.....hmmm  

47001498154_529f25330f_o.jpgUntitled by five1oh2010, on Flickr

Looks like I need to get to work since I am driving down for JCCS...

Edited by five1oh
  • Like 1