Post your Garage/Shop space!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)

Shop update. The concrete cured for 28 days and I started the lift install. Got the posted assembled and raised. That was actually pretty easy with the scissor lift. I was able to do each one by myself without being too sketchy.

IMG_5636.jpeg

Got the top bar on.
IMG_5639.jpeg

I started drilling and anchoring the posts down and this is where things started to go sideways. I had two anchors pull out when being torqued.
camphoto_351212254.jpeg

And I had two anchors on the opposite post pull out a ways, but they did torque to spec. These are pretty long so they still have about 4” of concrete to grab into. Everything else torqued up great.
camphoto_630072926.jpeg

Here is the current state.
IMG_5646.jpeg

Monday I’m going to call around and see what my options are here. Worst case, drill deeper and set longer anchors. Given the consequences if these fail again, gonna see what a pro thinks before I do anything else. I’m just lucky I got the anchors and everything out completely.

i know they sell bolt anchor epoxy. That may be an option. Who knows.. I’m out of my element here. but at the end of the day its a bolt and a hole. Can’t be too difficult.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Can't tell from your pics if those are wedge or sleeve anchors, but should probably be using wedge.  Also should always brush and blow out holes.

Sleeve I think?

i did blow and vacuum. Thanks for the input I’ll look up the difference.

• Like 1

maybe the hole was a little deep and the wedge didn't set 

if you have a pier under it i would drill a little deeper or check the depth and get a longer wedge anchor 

I do concrete for a living and the wedge anchors are better 

also using a Simpson epoxy and all thread is an option but overkill 

they do pull tests with epoxy bolts on houses and depending on the size sometimes pull up to 30,000 LBS

most are about 8 to 10,000 pull 

https://www.google.com/search?q=wedge+anchor+vs+sleeve+anchor&sca_esv=f41693c3d898bcf5&sca_upv=1&ei=Rb6hZp_TN67u0PEPoNmbwAg&ved=0ahUKEwjfidmMmMGHAxUuNzQIHaDsBogQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=wedge+anchor+vs+sleeve+anchor&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiHXdlZGdlIGFuY2hvciB2cyBzbGVldmUgYW5jaG9ySABQAFgAcAB4AZABAJgBAKABAKoBALgBA8gBAJgCAKACAJgDAJIHAKAHAA&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ranman72 said:

maybe the hole was a little deep and the wedge didn't set 

if you have a pier under it i would drill a little deeper or check the depth and get a longer wedge anchor 

I do concrete for a living and the wedge anchors are better 

also using a Simpson epoxy and all thread is an option but overkill 

they do pull tests with epoxy bolts on houses and depending on the size sometimes pull up to 30,000 LBS

most are about 8 to 10,000 pull 

https://www.google.com/search?q=wedge+anchor+vs+sleeve+anchor&sca_esv=f41693c3d898bcf5&sca_upv=1&ei=Rb6hZp_TN67u0PEPoNmbwAg&ved=0ahUKEwjfidmMmMGHAxUuNzQIHaDsBogQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=wedge+anchor+vs+sleeve+anchor&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiHXdlZGdlIGFuY2hvciB2cyBzbGVldmUgYW5jaG9ySABQAFgAcAB4AZABAJgBAKABAKoBALgBA8gBAJgCAKACAJgDAJIHAKAHAA&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

I actually got this sorted out today. I called a lift service tech and he came and looked at it. I was prepared to go with epoxy. But he wanted to try a different sleeve anchor first. He said he wasn’t a fan of the supplied anchors and opted to use a Hilti brand anchor. It torqued down first try, in both locations!

I got the part number just in case any of the others loosen over time. The manual said they will need retorqued after the first couple uses. This is normal. But if I have any issue after, I’ll get the replacements. Feeling better about it now.

this is what was used. Although I think the threads went further down the bolt.

IMG_5681.jpeg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Draker said:

I actually got this sorted out today. I called a lift service tech and he came and looked at it. I was prepared to go with epoxy. But he wanted to try a different sleeve anchor first. He said he wasn’t a fan of the supplied anchors and opted to use a Hilti brand anchor. It torqued down first try, in both locations!

I got the part number just in case any of the others loosen over time. The manual said they will need retorqued after the first couple uses. This is normal. But if I have any issue after, I’ll get the replacements. Feeling better about it now.

this is what was used. Although I think the threads went further down the bolt.

IMG_5681.jpeg

those are what is called wedge anchors 

hilti calls them kwik bolts 

• Like 1
On 7/20/2024 at 8:55 PM, Draker said:

Shop update. The concrete cured for 28 days and I started the lift install. Got the posted assembled and raised. That was actually pretty easy with the scissor lift. I was able to do each one by myself without being too sketchy.

IMG_5636.jpeg

Got the top bar on.
IMG_5639.jpeg

I started drilling and anchoring the posts down and this is where things started to go sideways. I had two anchors pull out when being torqued.
camphoto_351212254.jpeg

And I had two anchors on the opposite post pull out a ways, but they did torque to spec. These are pretty long so they still have about 4” of concrete to grab into. Everything else torqued up great.
camphoto_630072926.jpeg

Here is the current state.
IMG_5646.jpeg

Monday I’m going to call around and see what my options are here. Worst case, drill deeper and set longer anchors. Given the consequences if these fail again, gonna see what a pro thinks before I do anything else. I’m just lucky I got the anchors and everything out completely.

i know they sell bolt anchor epoxy. That may be an option. Who knows.. I’m out of my element here. but at the end of the day its a bolt and a hole. Can’t be too difficult.

I've got my two post lift anchored with tapping concrete screws that are 5/8" diameter and 8" long. Theoretically, a two post lift can stand up without anchors, so unless you are lifting super heavy uneven loads, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1