My 1971 521

d.p

Get a long one so your hand falls of the steering wheel onto it. You know you have it right when you can shift all gears without moving your shoulder from the seat back. I've never understood why people shorten their shifters and then have to look down and grope for it or lean forward to shift it. Shortening the throw doesn't make it any faster it makes it stiffer because you loose some mechanical leverage with a shorter stick. You can also bend the shifter in a vice with a piece of pipe  over the end to customize it.

I drove a Boss 429 Mustang once and I swear the shift pattern was higher at the front 1 and 3  and lower for 2 and 4 like it was on a slope.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love me some Boss 429s.   Someday maybe I will own one.  

Edit:  Which 71B would have a long shifter?  Anyone that came out of a truck I assume? 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

I seen that on zcardepot as well.

Trying to get a list of everything I need to buy, so far I have:

Trans rebuild kit (gasket + seals)

Trans talishaft oil plug 

Reverse switch

Clutch fork rubber boot

Shifter bushing kit 

Shift boot seal

620 Trans mount + Redeyes trans mount

qt of ATF

Trans to block bolts, anyone know size and pitch of those? 

Shifter + shift knob

Anything else? 

Edited by d.p

Oh and the tail shaft oil plug, I'm pretty sure you can use an engine core plug.... did you get any extra when you did the motor? I could be wrong but I think that was the size you need....

Also I dont think I saw a rebuild kit that was just the seals and cover gasket... just order them seperate.. hopefully one of the places your ordering from has them...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

Yeah I do but this is just a tail shaft plug so I could plug the trans when uninstalling/reinstalling ($5).  Been ordering a lot of stuff from zcardepot lateley has they seem to have a good selection.  Well them and Riley at Lynchburg but that mfer can be really hard to get a hold of.  

https://zcardepot.com/products/transmission-removal-tailshaft-oil-plug?variant=19282717474929

800-1561_Transmission_Plug_600x.jpg?v=15

https://zcardepot.com/products/transmission-rebuild-repair-kit-240z-260z-280z-zx?variant=19278647754865

88108cb9c15cde8146f3fbbffc0015bd_600x.jp

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yeah I do but this is just a tail shaft plug so I could plug the trans when uninstalling/reinstalling ($5).  Been ordering a lot of stuff from zcardepot lateley has they seem to have a good selection.  Well them and Riley at Lynchburg but that mfer can be really hard to get a hold of.  

https://zcardepot.com/products/transmission-removal-tailshaft-oil-plug?variant=19282717474929

800-1561_Transmission_Plug_600x.jpg?v=15

https://zcardepot.com/products/transmission-rebuild-repair-kit-240z-260z-280z-zx?variant=19278647754865

88108cb9c15cde8146f3fbbffc0015bd_600x.jp

Well I'm wrong those are definitely the 3 you need....

And that plug is to keep oil from spilling out when the driveshaft is removed....

I thought you need a plug for the input shaft part of the driveshaft.... 

I know Mike has talked about that before..... 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well I'm wrong those are definitely the 3 you need....

And that plug is to keep oil from spilling out when the driveshaft is removed....

I thought you need a plug for the input shaft part of the driveshaft.... 

I know Mike has talked about that before..... 

Yeah I know what its for and I have a core plug to plug my 521 driveeshaft when I cut/swap it over.  

• Like 1

Would this work with my trans?  At this point I just want something so I can check to see if it even goes into every gear without spending a grip.  Would be a plus that whatever I do buy would work in the long run as well.  Seller says "4 Or 5 Speed 620 510 520" but it looks like a 71B shifter from how it mounts.  

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Yes either will do.

All 71B 4 and 5 speed shifters are the same on the 620.

A plug to seal the transmission while removing or putting back???? Just leave drain plug out and let drain over night and put back in empty, then refill. How the fuck you going to pull the driveshaft out then put the plug in without wearing all the oil. Just drain it first.

• Like 1

Top one is 15” bottom one 12”.  Top 89$ bottom $39 so I bought the top one.  

I figure if I am going to get ATF for the new trans I will change it on my 4 speed.  What brand or weight and how much do I need? Gl4 8090?

Edited by d.p

ATF is only for rinsing it out. A qt will do. When you drain it, give it a look for anything like metal.

Install the transmission. I use a few feet of garden hose with a dollar store kitchen funnel in the end. Slide it down from the engine compartment into the fill hole and pour the oil in. When it over flows it's full. Do not try to overfill, it will only blow out the plastic vent.

Use GL-4 oil 80w90. Do not use GL-5 differential oil. Transmission oil must be compatible with copper and copper alloy as in the synchronizer rings. I'm using GM Delco Friction Modified Synchromesh Transmission oil, the same used in the new Camaro and the Corvette. It's semi synthetic thinner and slippery. With the same effort the transmission up shifts faster. It now down shifts without any grinding. If you've driven a standard you'll have noticed that the first few shifts when cold and certaainly in the winter are stiff. The Delco oil eliminates this completely. The only down side is it can leak or become wet around the rear seal so any time I take the transmission out I put a new one in. Two liters was about $40 CDN. 

I would use the cheaper oil to get running and switch it out later in the summer if all's well.

2. Slide it down and into the fill hole on the side.

I expect that royal purple and any other color semi synthetic plus the Delco friction modified (which is orange/yellow) are all from the same supplier with only a different color additive added. I think Shell makes the stock base oil, I can't remember.