My 1971 521

d.p

Still good for the differential.

1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

You can always just get the GL-4 manual trans fluid from the dealer. I’ve tried Amsoil and Redline. They don’t really make any difference in these old transmissions.

Protection wise it's way above over kill but for how well it acts.... well worth the price. Faster, easier, smoother shifting when cold and after warm up. Silky smooth downshift without grinding. It can't fix a broken transmission but it gets rid of annoying things that thick 90w oil does.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys, will pick some up from the dealer.  

Also my side view mirror went limp and the only way for me fix it was break the glass that was glued into it.  I don't even know if this is an OEM mirror, is it?  if so I assume the glass was originally glued in as well?  After I got the glass and inch worth of glue off this is what I am left with:

49874733018_3a5bfedba5_c.jpg

Its apparent why it got loose because if you turn it left or right the screw backs out or in.  Not to mention its bent like a crooked wiener.  I guess I am going to get a new screw and try to figure out a way to let it articulate without backing the screw out at the same time.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

My dumbass ordered some NAPA and it ended up being gl5.  Nissan dealer sell gl4?  Shit is hard to come by in store. N

Yes, they do. It’s not cheap, but neither is the Redline or Amsoil.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, fivetenguy said:

I got some gl4 from nissan. I can get the part number when I get home from work.

Part number 999MP-MTF00NP 

I believe this stuff is gl4, but not 100% sure. I just read everything on the bottle, but it does not state what GL it is. I hope it is because I put it in one of my transmissions.

Edited by fivetenguy
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, d.p said:

I didn't see this post before I posted mine. That's the exact bottle I have. Only the part number on mine does not have the N in it. I bought mine at least 6-7 years ago. You probably got the new part number.

I looked my part number up and it does not exist any longer. I will edit my previous post so people don't look up the wrong part number.

Edited by fivetenguy
  • Like 1

What the hell, I'll chime in too.

Been using the NAPA Sta-Lube gear oil for years.

85W90 multi purpose hyoid

The label says API/GL-4

Part # SL24239 (Gallon jug)

If memory serves, it's about $30.00 per gallon.

BTW, I work at a Nissan dealer. I'll read some bottles tomorrow. Seems I have seen one or two that say GL4.

2 hours ago, d.p said:

@banzai510(hainz) is this the same

clutch setup that Datsunparts sells? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233202857988

I believe Dean sells genuine Nissan 650kg pressure plates with an Exedy friction disc.  That eBay link says 600kg, and everything is Exedy. That’s the brand I used when I had my transmission out. Seems like good quality stuff.

11 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I believe Dean sells genuine Nissan 650kg pressure plates with an Exedy friction disc.  That eBay link says 600kg, and everything is Exedy. That’s the brand I used when I had my transmission out. Seems like good quality stuff.

Does the PP really matter?  Everything else in that kit is the same as far as I can tell.  And Exedy = Daikin.  "Yes we verified the clamping force/ load test. Exedy's design department dug out the blueprint and we have it. You wipe off the Dust. A great, less expensive, alternative to the Nissan kits with a great reputation. Comes with Japanese disc, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing & clutch dowels. Use for any 1600 or 2000. If it don't say NSC-581 it ain't heavy duty!"

10 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Good price 

yeah it is and nothing against datsunparts but the guy who runs it just comes across so crass when I ask a question, turns me off from buying anything from him.  

EDIT: Wait the PP in that auction is the same one Dean sells, except the brand name which is the same company.  NS581 "NSC - 581 NLA Heavy duty 600 kilogram Clutch Pressure plate" Both say 600 so assuming they are the exact same thing just cheaper on Ebay.  And Mainer I referring to the 1483DAIKIN part on Deans site and not the other more expensive kits.  

Edited by d.p

This one has a threaded T V V for the EGR (not used on a 521) facing you. I plugged mine on my 710 with a hex plug I scooped from a KA intake.

The L series were all the same except some of the later z cars had up to four threaded holes for sensors for the EFI, some of the early ones didn't have coolant by pass and relied on a juggle valve. In '79 they all changed to 3 bolt top cover.

aoc5ndB.jpg

I think we have more than one post on Datsunparts and what they're like.

600 or 650kg is more than enough grip. Car L20Bs are 400-450kg and truck L20Bs-Z24s 500-550kg.

Just now, datzenmike said:

This one has a threaded T V V for the EGR (not used on a 521) facing you. I plugged mine on my 710 with a hex plug I scooped from a KA intake.

I think we have more than one post on Datsunparts and what they're like.

600 or 650kg is more than enough grip. Car L20Bs are 400-450kg and truck L20Bs-Z24s 500-550kg.

Thanks Mike,  any idea what the thread/pitch is?  I will just scoop the ebay clutch kit.  I was looking at Datsunparts dual choke cables but they are pricey and again if the dude selling them is painful then I will just look elsewhere.  Do you have a link to a post about them?  I know the rep about California Datsun but didn't know Datsun parts had a bad one as well. 

• Like 1