My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried to open up in FB app but didn’t work. Had to open those links in a browser.  It was weird. would any of those five speeds work or should I just at getting the bell housing? 

Headed to FB now mang. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

Yo would this work? 

49860451343_ea19559110_b.jpg

Yes, looks exactly like an L series.

35 minutes ago, d.p said:

also if anyone cares this is the jap pump I got from zcardepot.

49861374382_6a9fc40c40_b.jpg

The one in your hand looks genuine.  Noice!!

• Like 1

Solid so shipping ain’t all that much. Wait I need to confirm it’s a 71b case through right?  How do I do that?  Cause wayno said my l series case wouldn’t work and it’s an l series case. 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

The 4 speed in the 521 is totally different from the 71B.

See that long rib running up the center line of the transmission? See the two top most bolt holes? The rib is closest to the one on the right. This is for a Z series engine

FkMQpJs.jpg

Same rib, but now it's closest to the bolt hole on the left. This fits an L series engine. Just remember L for LEFT

AaDPhXR.jpg

Great I see the difference between a Z case and an L case. And I get I can’t use a z case on an L motor.

So this is the case I can’t get:

49861979367_a3be7d6f15_b.jpg

its rib is closest to the LEFT bolt hole which would make it an L series front case.  So how do I know if this case will work on a 71b trans?  

3 minutes ago, wayno said:

That appears to be an L case but you need the front bearing cover also, so you say you cannot get that one???

I can get that front case but don’t know if I can’t get the front bearing cover.  But again how do I know it will work on a 71B trans?  

It looks like the front case of a 71B to me, I have been looking at them/tearing them down to fix that lower front bearing so many times I just know what they look like, but from the front I have a harder time telling what type of case it is.

When you posted that photo of the front of that case and said "yo would this work", well that bump to the right of that upper right bolt hole baffled me so I said nothing as Mike would likely know, I thought maybe it was an early case, I went out and looked at my L type transmission case on my J15 engine with the adapter plate I made to except a 5 speed and it didn't have that bump, so I kept quiet.

003.jpg

Edited by wayno

And therein lies the problem.  I got no idea how to be sure I get the right case.  This pic is the first trans that was for sale.  Looks to have the same bump. 

49758231151_9ceb87fd54_b.jpg

Teddy seems to think he has what I need but would need him to confirm. 

Too me this bump to the right of that upper right bolt hole doesn't look like it goes all the way to the mating surface of the transmission, it looks set back to me.

49860451343_ea19559110_b.jpg

This one the bump is part of the mating surface, it doesn't look like the bump is set back.

49758231151_9ceb87fd54_b.jpg

My eye sight isn't what it was when I was 40, so if something doesn't look right or looks weird I may get quiet until I figure it out.

28 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Well what are you putting that L front case on??? If swapping from something else just use the front cover that is on that transmission.

This one which has a z case on it:

49856997506_cf028e8350_b.jpg

49856455403_179a149dbd_b.jpg

I think at this points it not even worth all the trouble. Hell I haven’t even bought it and still have no idea what I need to make it work.  

Mike it depends on what year the transmission is, you cannot put a later 63mm bearing front cover onto a 56mm bearing, well maybe you can but I suspect it is not a good idea, I have lots of the larger bearing covers and I never considered mixing them, I have always found the proper front small bearing cover.

As for that transmission in the photos D.P posted above, as long as it is a 5spd it will work, but I would not use it for my diesel powered trucks as my friend used an early one like that in his diesel truck and the gearing was wrong, he could barely do 55mph, since then I have bought/acquired/found 1980 and later transmissions so I can go a decent speed on the freeway, I am now turning 3000rpms at almost 80mph, but I have 3.3 gears in the rear axle, the diesel engine has the torque to turn them gears.

I also have never seen a 71B with that rubber plug in the bottom of the case.

Edited by wayno