d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/17/2020 at 12:45 PM, d.p said:

Haven't done much with my truck except use it as of late.  Recently its been to close in my carport into a garage.  I figure once its closed in I can decide whether I want to swap the engine, tranny or both in.   Having custom swing out carriage doors made and I expect it to be all done in the next week or two.  

50016529808_63fa1dfe45_b.jpg

50016987271_d767b1b807_b.jpg

Wife approved?

Top board? You talking about the header?  That is pressure treated and along with the rest of the framing.   Trim and doors are all cedar and birch.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

Looks like 3-4. I unloaded a rail car once that had larger chunks of wood nailed to the floor to support the contents from rolling around. It was from Atlanta and the 6"x4" blocks had about 6 growth rings. Never seen anything like it. Looked like fir or pine. I guess the growing season is longer. The wood wasn't very strong.

• Like 1

You can't tell from that picture. You're counting rings across the face. Being flat sawn, for all you know it could be from the outside of a 10' diameter tree cut perpendicular to the radius and have 50 rings and you're just seeing the outside three as the rings are cut through like a chord.

• Like 3

I really don't have a clue why it matters and how you can see it or why you would even zoom into see it but whatever.  

Picked up most of the cedar for the doors and trim the other day, still need some more 1 x 6 x 8s for the door trim but will get that lnext week.  Going to use sommer swing out garage door opener I think, its that or door mounted ones but I have gotten mixed reviews about those.  Also price is a factor, $400 for overhead swing out vs $1600 door mounted swing out (adpated from gate openers).  Times both of those x2 and the overheard door mounted ones get expensive real quick.  

https://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com/sosyswdogado.html

https://realcraft.com/collections/automatic-door-openers/products/franklin-autoswing-opener-for-swinging-carriage-doors

50026646857_f0cd9be07d_b.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Merely an observation from what I see in the picture you posted.

Just funny thats all, I post a picture of my garage build out and the discussion veers off into how many rings the pressure treated wood has. 

Lol

• Like 2

It's a fairly good indicator of the quality/age of the material. More rings is denser & stronger, less soft wood so slower to rot and more difficult for bugs to break down.

That first opener looks practical and less prone to wear/malfunction, but maybe not as "cool"

Edited by thisismatt
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what I can do about the paint in my bed? It seems that with all the wood I’ve by buying it’s taking the paint off some areas down to bare metal.  

I am not even sure the paint code but can can I get it matched and touch it up or just clear it?  If matched should I go to an auto body and paint shop to have them match it?

• Like 1

Why not coat it with a bedliner material?

Depends on what your going for if you wanna keep the color in the bed and how good you want it to look..

Paint supply shop could give you a spray can with the correct color to do your own touch ups.....

If you want to keep the color in the bed they make a clear bedliner....

Screenshot-20200708-071258-Amazon-Shoppi

• Like 2

You had a thread back in 2017 about trying to determine your paint color. I still think it's 567. Back in '70, Nissan called it "Medium Blue," which I think is a good description of what your truck looks like. Unfortunately, you'll never match the sun faded look of your original paint. If it was my truck, I would touch up the bare spots as best I could to prevent rust, and then throw a bed mat in there. That's what my plan is for mine, I just haven't gotten around to it. Tractor Supply has them for like $50.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

Yeah I got a quote to line it as well but just not sure I want a black bed at this point.  Part of me thinks it takes away from the vintage factor of the truck.   I agree I don't think it will match but its better than rust I guess.   And I think Ray uses or used a spray can to touch up his truck IIRC.  And in regards to the color I never did figure it out but a local paint place said they could match it as best as they could using a camera.  And its not so much the bottom of the bed as it is the wheel well and the top of the tailgate.  

Its funny because I bought a bunch of wood and the stuff that was laying on top of the tail gate and touching the front of the bed came out with blue pain on them.  

Could I just clear the bare stuff and leave it as-is?  I mean that maybe easier than trying to paint match it.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't been doing much at all with my truck, I think the last thing was wash it and park it in its new home.  Still need to decide what color to paint/stain the doors and trim and waiting on more shingles from the great white north to finish the siding.   Other than that been working on getting irrigation done in preparation for over seeding my lawn in the next couple weeks.  AS far as the truck goes I will probably swap the engine + trans once it cools down as its been hot as shit as of late.  

50093711303_bb68f0871b.jpg'

Video of the swing out doors in action:

50081296102_25be0b1d80.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1