My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the shifter and improvised with a screwdriver to shift it into all the gears and it shifts great, doesn't get hung up on anything so I think I scored with this trans.  I need to order a shift knob, shifter pin bushing kit, seal gasket kit and some GL-4 and a 620 trans mount.  I got redeyes trans mount and am a little disappointed with it, before it ever got here he told me I may have to slot the holes as his laser cutter was having issues.   Then when it got here it was unpainted and didn't look all nice and clean like his pictures advertise it as.  

49891561407_b5c501ba39_b.jpg

Time will tell if I need to slot it but at the very least I will have to prime and paint it as well.  

What I got vs what he advertises them as:

49891561392_ec26a6f639_b.jpg

IMG_5153.JPG

• Like 2

49891561407_b5c501ba39_b.jpg

This is for a '79 the first and only year the mid ratio was used on the 280zx. This is the same transmission used in the '77-'78 280z, 620 and the 810 to '80. I had this exact zx transmission in my 620 with 4.375 differential and it was just right. Then used in my 710. Really liked it.   

• Like 1

It's still easier than making your own transmission mount, I made them for a while and it takes time to cut and weld everything plus the cost of the metal, it really wasn't worth making them to tell the truth, but I didn't really do it to sell them, I just make what I need for myself and others contacted me wanting them, I like to make stuff to see if I can, making the same things over and over is boring.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a bunch of parts in, 620 trans mount, reverse switch, gasket and seals,  shifter pin + bushings, clutch, pp and a bunch of other crap.  Figure I might was well drop the 5 speed in before I even attempt to swap the engine as I have little to no interest in swapping everything at once.  When will I get around to do that who knows.  

49923178903_6d65158bb1_b.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

FYI, no offense, but hand shifting a gearbox on the floor doesn't really tell you anything.  Sure, if you felt something wrong, it would be a bad situation, but the key to a good trans is in the synchro rings & bearings, which hand shifting can't help with identifying a potential issue.  If you have any verbal history on the trans from the seller ie "drove & shifted just fine" or "we pulled it out of a wrecked low mile car!" or better yet, YOU had the opportunity to actually drive the car before it was pulled, great!  At 40++ years old, it's best to open it up & inspect the synchro's & the front bearings (the other bearings do wear out, but one of the front bearings is VERY OFTEN worn out and/or damaged/coming apart!  We rebuild EVERY 5speed we intend to install!  If you don't mind the labor, put that sucka in, but there is a 50++% chance it will need attention...... 😁 

• Like 1

He needs the experience of pulling and rebuilding and installing again.  It will be 20 more pages of questions!  LOL

The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Edited by Charlie69
5 hours ago, d.p said:

If I had to choose between and engine and trans I would take the trans everyone. Hate the 4 speed. 

All 5 speeds have 4 speeds in them so really you hate not having a 5th gear. I agree there's nothing like a long wind out in 4th and hammer another gear at 80.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Haven't done much with my truck except use it as of late.  Recently its been to close in my carport into a garage.  I figure once its closed in I can decide whether I want to swap the engine, tranny or both in.   Having custom swing out carriage doors made and I expect it to be all done in the next week or two.  

50016529808_63fa1dfe45_b.jpg

50016987271_d767b1b807_b.jpg

• Like 2

50016529808_63fa1dfe45_b.jpg

This is what your 521 is most happy doing.  It is as happy as a 240Z running on a road race course.

Your truck looks really good, I like that color.  It is one of the OEM colors 521 trucks were painted?  If so, what is the Nissan paint code?

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, BrothersGarage said:

99% sure it is 567 Blue

I tired to find out before but came up with a couple different codes.  IIRC that was one of them.  

It’s because I just mocked up. The doors aren’t to scale...at all.  

• Like 2