My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok so that 5 speed I was originally looking at sold but the seller has another one supposedly the same but looks shorter.  Same deal from RTK japan with no identifying information. 

Having him measure it but to me it looks shorter.  

49856455403_179a149dbd_b.jpg

49856997506_cf028e8350_b.jpg

49857300897_fd9b4165fe_b.jpg

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

That’s just where the reverse switch threads in? 

49857297521_7f2c0827f8_b.jpg

Seller did say the crate had Z20 stamped on it and he says the trans is FWS71B so that would explain the Z bell housing.  He also claims It’s a wide ratio as well.  Oh and if it is an early 620 5 speed is the freeing not ideal? 

Price is $590 shipped.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

The only thing Z about it is the front case. The rear case and ALL the gears are '79 or earlier so can only be an L series. That's a lot of money for a thrown together transmission. Any warranty??? Was it rebuilt??

24 minutes ago, d.p said:

Reman’d by ATK Japan so like new.   Not even sure where I could find a 71b front case to make it work if I wanted to.  

You can find the front cases for cheap.... I paid $60 shipped... 4 or 5 spd front will work....

Is that just for the bellhousing?

And it seems like the 5spds are not out there right now.... I swear just last year they were all over for cheap.... all I see know are supposed rebuilt ones for almost 2000..... cheapest was almost 900, unknown condition..... 

You would still only be into it for 750.... 

Either wait and hope for a better deal or go with it.... at least you know the condition of this one....

Yeah just for the bell housing. I agree and should have jumped on the original 5 speed but I dragged my feet and missed out.  Guess that’s what I get for being a cheap bastard.  End up paying more for the same shit. Lol

I tend to stop looking and just buy it once I find what i want at a good price.... I hate it when I buy something and see a better deal a week later... you just never know... 

750 stil isn't to bad of a price, just sucks you'll have to swap the bellhousing ... so there is still some more money to be spent to re seal it...

This stuff is getting harder and harder to find every day, I jump at the chance to get a 71B 4spd just the the front case for a reasonable price, but most the time people on craigslist want over a $100.00 for a stinking 4spd, I need them for that front bearing cover mostly as that lower bearing is the weak spot and that cover gets broke when the bear self destructs.

It's getting hard enough to find these parts that those of us that have a need for them don't want to sell them just in case we need them, it costs over $170.00 to get one out of the wrecking yard if a 620 actually shows up(rare now), and I would still have to go pull it, so that leaves the folks that find them and rebuild them and then sell them to make money, they normally want $500.00 plus, and if it is something special they want closer to a $1000.00 and one still has to go get it.

Here is one an hour and a half away from me, he also has a diesel and 4wd transmission for sale, but this one still needs the proper case, I sort of know the guy from buying from him in the past, he sells rebuilt transmissions at our Datsun shows that have all been cancelled so far.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/d/satsop-81-to-84-datsun-720-pu-5-speed/7110381343.html

I do not see any 4 or 5spds for sale locally right now, the 4spd would be the one of choice as you mostly need the front case, and it would be expensive to ship a complete transmission across the country, $150.00 for a L block front case/front bearing cover shipped is a good deal anymore as no one wants the rest of it, they all want 5spds and the L case.

10 years ago Datsun/Nissan 720s were everywhere, right now there is one 1985 Nissan 720 within a 100 miles of me at a wrecking yard and it is a 4wd, there are no Datsun trucks in the wrecking yards right now within a 100 miles of me.

If you find another one on the east coast that is not broken for a reasonable price(I guess reasonable is subjective), I would seriously consider buying it, you might be able to modify a front L case to use a Hardbody(D21) 5spd, but then you would need a custom driveline.

That makes perfect sense but I do not. Lol.  Hell this $100 cam’d, bored, dual mikuni motor I got has me hoping I can replicate with a tranny.  IE a smoking deal.  

Dude selling the tranny said he work with me on the price but getting Ted to respond in timely manner is painful.  Will give it a couple days and see if anything else comes up.