A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Argon lasted.... got everything welded up.... and a new o2 bung.... 

I was able to use my flood light to look for any possible leaks.... should be good...

Used some high temp rustolem,  mostly to keep the welds from rusting , gave everything thing a coat.....

20190406-105643.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can bolt it all up and go for a test drive..... 

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my excitement I forgot to take any pics today..... i got the exhaust all bolted up this morning, and was able to back out of my garage and go for a test drive.....

Exhaust sounds good.... I still get a nice tone at wide open and cruising is much better..... I need to see how it is cruising on the highway but it should be good.... add to the fact I now have 5th gear my rpms should a lot lower too....

• Like 1

Got out again, went to target for a couple things....

20190407-152015.jpg

To get there I had a quick run on the highway... While the rpms weren't as low is I thought they would be in 5th, 65 was closer to 3000 rpm so that's pretty good, and the exhaust didnt drive me crazy..... again still has some volume but it's not annoying.... 

The bad news was my speedometer is not reading the same as the 4spd....

I was afraid that might happen.... I'm using the same speedometer pinion that was originally in the 5spd, I was able to use it in my 4spd.... now it's back in the 5spd.... 

Last year I bought this....

20190407-164216.jpg

A ratio adaptor,  it made my odometer accurate but I was a constant 5mph over no matter what speed.... eventually I'll try to recalibrate the speedometer...

But I'd rather have the odometer right....

Luckily I can have the ratio adaptor recalibrated, so I just have to do a 10 mile odometer check and send it back quick.....

• Like 4

This is where I got it....

http://www.gaugeguys.com/ratio-adapter-1.html

Its 145 for the adapter,  the metric 22mm is correct for the datsun transmission...  ignore the thread pitch listed....

They are really easy company to deal with.... all you need is to do a 10 mile drive, mile markers on the highway work well for that...

Then record how far you went on the odometer...  give them that number and they have a chart for the correction...

Is you speedometer accurate?

They also sell a 1:1 ratio 90 if it was....

• Like 1

Played with the truck some.... decided to change the fuel filter, it was looking a little ugly, but It definitely did its job collecting crap from the tank....

After that I went for a ride .. I was able to get my 10 mile drive done..... 

In 10 miles my odometer said I traveled 12.9 miles, verified by mile markers and GPS, so I'm gonna get the ratio adapter sent out next week for recalibration.....

I have also been changing some jets around in the carburator.... 

I think I'm getting closer, but I'm still a little rich ... so after the drive I made another change..  I went down one size on the main jets and i might go down one size on the idle jets too and see what that does...

And then Another drive tomorrow....

Weather is getting much nicer up here, hoping to be daily driving the datsun more and more....

Oh and at 65 mph I was just above 3000 rpm which is better that being at almost 4000 rpm with the 4spd.... and the exhaust was perfect.... no drone sound and It was probably half as loud... again not oem quite but its not annoying loud like before.....

• Like 3

Took a nice 20 minute drive today running some errands... got the air/fuel sticking close to 13-13.5 right now.... 

Couple small adjustment can still be made.... wot on the highway gets a bit rich.... I have 1 bigger air corrector I'm gonna put In tomorrow.....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

A little chilly this morning... 40 leaving the house.... but it should be 70 by the afternoon.... so I took the datsun to work.... 

20190425-054716.jpg

Cant wait for my ratio adaptor to come back, should be any day now.. they recieved it Monday and had it ready to ship back in 24 hrs....

This morning I was doing 65 70 and my speedometer was almost maxed.... but I was only around 3200 rpm and air/fuel while crusing was right around 13.... so I'm very happy with all that....

• Like 3

Cruise or constant level speed on the highway can be as high as 15 for best mileage (even higher on deceleration) but you want it to go rich if passing or climbing a hill. The majority of driving on the highway is cruise, so no sense pumping gas out the exhaust. I got my innovate gauge and have to get the exhaust off to install the bung.

What's inside your resonator?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Cruise or constant level speed on the highway can be as high as 15 for best mileage (even higher on deceleration) but you want it to go rich if passing or climbing a hill. The majority of driving on the highway is cruise, so no sense pumping gas out the exhaust. I got my innovate gauge and have to get the exhaust off to install the bung.

What's inside your resonator?

I'm not really tuning for best mileage, more like best running.... 

I say 13 because that's about the average.... it does get a little leaner at certain throttle positions and get a little richer if I got wot....  

Atleast now I have a decent tune happening and I can start to really fine tune it.... I may need a couple more jets though....

Another member doing side drafts on his ka posted a good article....

Couple nice tricks I'm gonna try, I also have a zero jet for the pump jet drain on the way, to see what that does to the transition.... 

And as far as the resonator this is the description off ebay....

Screenshot-20190425-102203-e-Bay.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, d.p said:

Goddamn these are small trucks.  Really puts it into perspective how big cars/trucks have gotten over the years.  Not that there weren't big cars back then but today very little 'small' cars.  

There aren't small cars today because of safety standards. It's not speed that kills you in a crash, it's the deceleration. Ever see a Smart car hit a concrete barricade? When you stop instantly, the front of your skull turns your brain into mush.

• Like 1

Got my ratio adaptor back and installed,  unfortunately weather hasn't been nice enough to take the datsun out for a drive.....  

So I've Been hating my lug nuts lately, they are just ugly..... 

20190501-165448.jpg

So I opted for these.... they use a special socket so they should stay good looking....

20190501-165519.jpg

Much better......

20190501-170452.jpg

Damn it now I need to actually clean my rims better..... 

I used some scotch bright before, the edge cleaned up good but the centers wouldn't ... its almost like it has clear coat on it.... not really sure what to do..

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I used some scotch bright before, the edge cleaned up good but the centers wouldn't ... its almost like it has clear coat on it.... not really sure what to do..

It is clearcoat.

The Citris stripper I used in my build thread takes it off super easy in 2-3 30 minute applications + water to wash them down. Super easy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree I need them refinished professionally but I would like to do something cheap and now just so they look a little better, plus tires are fairly new.. I do have a small hand held sand blaster, I can always see what that does. Then coat with something,  not necessarily paint.. I'm thinking when I need new tires I'll get the rims professionally redone so I dont wanna make them look to good... I did find a local powdercoater, maybe I'll take a drive by and see what they say...

As far as the color I'm not sure which way I wanna go with them.... right now everything is flat black with black semi gloss accents, so semi gloss black would be the choice, but that adds almost too much semi gloss..  I wasnt sure If i wanted to add a third color  to the mix.. but I guess aluminum is a color... and not black so.. 

I like the dark graphite idea, not so much the satin black, and I dont know how I feel about that magnesium color, that I would wanna see on the car.... 

I'm thinking I might see what that plastidip paint has for colors and experiment a little.... 

The other thing is do I keep the Lip brushed or painted or painted a different color than the center?

Same question about the rivets?

Just formulating an idea here so feel free to comment .. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, d.p said:

I got those same lugs but chrome. They are good because they don’t rust.  Are

your grease caps black?

Ya I painted them.... 

Sandblasted then used some etching primer then that rustolem 2x coverage, black semi gloss..... holding up really well.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BrothersGarage said:

It is clearcoat.

The Citris stripper I used in my build thread takes it off super easy in 2-3 30 minute applications + water to wash them down. Super easy!

Would aircraft paint stripper work or is that to harsh on the aluminum?

I have some that's why I ask.....

• Like 1